Supermicro X9DRi-F BMC woun't enable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sergei

Dec 25, 2018
Hi. I have X9DRi-F based workstation with 2x E5-2690 CPU, 4x16 GB RAM and RX570 graphics card. Nearly 3 months ago I disabled onboard GPU and IPMI but they were working. A few days ago I set BMC jumper to short 1-2 pins in order to enable it, but it hasn't started yet IPMI dedicated LAN port started blinking after cable connected.
After few attempts to get IPMI address with arp request and nmap I realized that it doesn't work.
After checking with manual so I short right pins I decided to enable onboard video card as it may be useful for BMC. Again - no result. Even BMC led doesn't blink. Unplugging power cable with putting out BIOS battery didn't work.
Any suggestions? Thank you.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Well, it has been a while, did you sort this out?

To me, it sounds like you simply got it the wrong way around.

BMC hartbeet not blinking, or lighting up, means that the BMCs is off, not doing the ipmi / management OS thing.

It blinking means it booted and works fine.

Sergei

Dec 25, 2018
Well, it has been a while, did you sort this out?

To me, it sounds like you simply got it the wrong way around.

BMC hartbeet not blinking, or lighting up, means that the BMCs is off, not doing the ipmi / management OS thing.

It blinking means it booted and works fine.
No, I didn't.
Yes, due to the manual, blinking BMC led means that it is enabled, not blinking - disabled.
I want to enable BMC but it didn't after I short pins 1-2 by the manual.

One of my friends working in datacenter advised me to reflash BIOS and BMC, but I don't have such expirience and digging into tutorials will take some time so I will try later.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
since it was blinking before, at least as far as i understand your message, you probably have the wrong jumper, or the wrong pinout or something like that.

You could post a picture of the general board area and the jumpers.

Another thing to note is that on the X9s, the LED stays off until it starts blinking, and that might take a while. Maybe a minute or so.

Sergei

Dec 25, 2018
since it was blinking before, at least as far as i understand your message, you probably have the wrong jumper, or the wrong pinout or something like that.

You could post a picture of the general board area and the jumpers.

Another thing to note is that on the X9s, the LED stays off until it starts blinking, and that might take a while. Maybe a minute or so.
I also thought that i's just jumper configuration issue, but I checked out with the manual and tried to re-short pins - it didn't help.

UPD. I don't know, why message contains duplicated photos - there were only 4 photos when I submitted the form

Attachments

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Do you have a multimeter?
Because that would be required in case I don't spot the jumper error in a moment.

The VGA is disabled but that shouldn't keep the BMC disabled.

I think, you have PCB Damage right beside / below the BMC on the REV lable.

The Area that is slightly brighter then the rest, that is oddly shaped and bulged inwards.
Best case, just weird lighting. Worstcase is actuall pcb damage, how ever that happened but in that case, only few can help you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beaver

Sergei

Dec 25, 2018
Do you have a multimeter?
Because that would be required in case I don't spot the jumper error in a moment.

The VGA is disabled but that shouldn't keep the BMC disabled.

I think, you have PCB Damage right beside / below the BMC on the REV lable.

The Area that is slightly brighter then the rest, that is oddly shaped and bulged inwards.
Best case, just weird lighting. Worstcase is actuall pcb damage, how ever that happened but in that case, only few can help you.
The first thing I thought about when BMC didn't start - that disabled VGA is connected with BMC somehow, as IPMI web interface contains screen capture. After enabling VGA BMC didn't start. But I similarly can't enable VGA btw.

Yes, I have a multimeter. What should I measure?

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Measure Voltage from Ground to all 4 pads of UM2 Left under the BMC above the REV lable.
One should be GND = 0V.
Two 3.3V
and the actual output 1.5V, 48MHZ looks like 1.5V. If you get 0 or 3.3 well, then its a dead oscillator.

Sergei

Dec 25, 2018
Measure Voltage from Ground to all 4 pads of UM2 Left under the BMC above the REV lable.
One should be GND = 0V.
Two 3.3V
and the actual output 1.5V, 48MHZ looks like 1.5V. If you get 0 or 3.3 well, then its a dead oscillator.
Unfortunately, my multimeter doesn't support frequency measurement, I'll try to check the voltage only. Don't you know, what contact is marked with the triangle?

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Voltage is enough, should be 1.5V.
i sadly don't know the pinout, though i can measure it myself this evening.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
the cage of that part is pulled to gnd, measure the Pads of the board on the Edge of the part

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Well, that is odd.
There should be 3.3V.

I actually have that board, so i'll measure that myself this evening, ETA about 3hours

Sergei

Dec 25, 2018
Well, that is odd.
There should be 3.3V.

I actually have that board, so i'll measure that myself this evening, ETA about 3hours
If my motherboard broke - I still have guarantee on it as only 10 months have passed since I bought it so I cant return it to seller.

I've just turned VGA on and turned PC on - after regular "OK" beeps I got 5 long beeps, which means, that video signal is redirected to offboard video adapter, so I believe, onboard VGA also doesn't work.

I will be sleeping in 3 hours so you may not hurry if you want)

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
UM2 is the main Oscillator for the BMC.
If that is not able to produce its clock, the BMC can't boot or operate the VGA.

So that looks like a dead board. But i can tell you more in about 3 hours.
Before you return it, have a look at the side of the pcb ath the REV1.1 lable, something looks fishy there.

Sergei

Dec 25, 2018
UM2 is the main Oscillator for the BMC.
If that is not able to produce its clock, the BMC can't boot or operate the VGA.

So that looks like a dead board. But i can tell you more in about 3 hours.
Before you return it, have a look at the side of the pcb ath the REV1.1 lable, something looks fishy there.
Checked pcb - it looks ok. The color is solid, no cracks or any other signs of damage.
I believed it is some kind of software issue related to BIOS or BMC, but as I understand, oscillator must work all the time power is on?

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
exactly, UM2 should be always on, powered by 3.3V-SB created somewhere from 5V-SB.
Had that part fail on a X10DRi-F, my fix looks funny :D

Sergei

Dec 25, 2018
exactly, UM2 should be always on, powered by 3.3V-SB created somewhere from 5V-SB.
Had that part fail on a X10DRi-F, my fix looks funny :D
Does "SB" mean south bridge? Excuse me, I'm not native speaker and some hardware terms sound vaguely for me.

Is it real to fix it at home with copper only? I've been taught the basics of electronics and looks like there is some kind of "linear stablilizer" (rough russian-english translation) and if it broke, there should be some reason of that. Maybe some lane broke when i plug graphics card in or something like that?