sloooooow transfer speeds

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

costeen

Dec 31, 2018
First off...hello everyone this is my first post here. I am a super noob when it comes to RAID and SAS or anything server related. Here's a little background, I bought 2 6tb seagate drives on ebay for $85 each best offer and didn't notice they were SAS drives. I could have returned them but they shipped so fast and the seller didn't seem willing to deal with it so I told myself it's time to learn a new interface now. 4 raid HBA cards later I got some that recognise the discs in my computer and they show up fine but from one of my SATA HDDs to the seagate SAS HDDs it transfers at awful slow rates compared to transferring from SATA to SATA internally. her'es my setup if anyone can give me advice on how to get the full potential out of this setup and get higher speeds I'm all ears...
Ill insert images of my setup using anvil, I didnt show test results due to a large tranfer in progress but i also will show a screen shot of the rate between D: and M:
DRIVE C SATA

DRIVE D SATA

DRIVE M SAS

DRIVE N SAS

TRANSFER SPEED

costeen

Dec 31, 2018
What controller, is the firmware and driver up to date, what model number for HDD's (st6000NM0034) is its firmware up-to-date, Are you running it in self encrypting mode?

Seagate Enterprise Capacity 6TB 3.5 SAS HDD Review (V.4) | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

Seems perfectly capable of performance.
oh...that would help...lol the controller is a IBM m1015 not sure the firmware it was an Ebay special but it seemed to work without having to cross flash it. Is there a fool proof way to check the firmware version? The drive model is st6000NM0034 I thought and once again not sure on the firmware.
do you use compression ? that will cost some performance
Not normally its just files and stuff added to the drive.

costeen

Dec 31, 2018
It might be in IR mode/Jbod and without a BBU ...

There a dozens of threads in this subforum dealing with upgrading/crossflashing /detailing capailites and such of the m1015, eg
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...5-lsi-9211-8i-firmware-on-uefi-systems.11462/

You might want to read up a bit:)
I'm learning as I go, reading till my head hurts....lol I tried the flashing method in the link you posted but cant get past the UEFI boot selection in my bios. Back to the grind stone i guess.

costeen

Dec 31, 2018
I did manage to get deeper into MSM and found this...
MegaRAID Storage Manager 13.11.01.06Profile Summary - Generated on Tue Jan 01 12:04:44 EST 2019
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SERVER---
Server IP: 26.16.235.226
Server Name: newmain-PC
OS name: Windows 7
OS Version: 6.1
OS Architecture: x86_64
Driver Name: megasas2.sys
Driver Version: 5.2.116.64
Application Version: MegaRAID Storage Manager - 13.11.01.06

HARDWARE---
Controller: ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA Controller(Bus 2,Dev 0)
Firmware Package Version:20.10.1-0052
Firmware Version: 2.120.144-1325
BBU: NO
Enclosure(s): 1
Drive(s): 2
Virtual Drive(s): 0

Enclosures---
PRODUCT NAME TYPE STATUS
Backplane Sgpio OK

Drives---
CONNECTOR PRODUCT ID VENDOR ID STATE DISK TYPE CAPACITY POWER STATE
Port 0 - 3 ST6000NM0034 SEAGATE JBOD SAS 5.457 TB On
Port 0 - 3 ST6000NM0034 SEAGATE JBOD SAS 5.457 TB On

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I'm learning as I go, reading till my head hurts....lol I tried the flashing method in the link you posted but cant get past the UEFI boot selection in my bios. Back to the grind stone i guess.
Whats the issue there? If you have an USB stick (UEFI bootable) then boot from that, else you have to switch to the drive (eg by 'blkA:') to be able to run the executable saved on it

And very much looks like IR Mode to me -> flash to IT if all you need is jbod

costeen

Dec 31, 2018
Whats the issue there? If you have an USB stick (UEFI bootable) then boot from that, else you have to switch to the drive (eg by 'blkA:') to be able to run the executable saved on it

And very much looks like IR Mode to me -> flash to IT if all you need is jbod
I finally got my drive to boot to UEFI but now it says the adapter cannot be found but its there and sees the drives and all. I still keep getting the fatal error warning and wonder if its related to the adapter not being found when i do "sas2flash.efi -listall" it says no LSI adapters were found.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Have you tried megarec? Looks like it got IBM/Lenovo firmware installed

costeen

Dec 31, 2018
got it using a mix of magarec and sas2flash(not flsh) and got it...now do you reccomend a program besides MSM to configure it? it seems theres less info and options available on MSM now.

costeen

Dec 31, 2018
and transfer speeds are way better now.

and this is from an external usb 3.0 drive to the seagate.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If you convert the card to IT you will not need to 'manage' it any more since all you have are individual drives (which you can then set up in software raid or a z level however you want)

Reactions: Patriot

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
and transfer speeds are way better now.

and this is from an external usb 3.0 drive to the seagate.
... Do you have any other local storage of known speeds to transfer of without having to worry about USB3 drive i/o constraints?
Chipset sata perhaps... or you know do some traditional speed tests, ram to drive.