BestBuy - WD - Easystore 10TB with 32GB Flash Drive - $180

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Does anyone know if the drive works with supermicro backplane without any modification needed ?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Looking at the picture of the SM sys-5019c , disk drive power is supplied by a 4 pin molex ,
therefore there is no 3.3v supplied to drives.

You should have no problem with 3.3v pin.

Last night, I started stress testing of 8 x 8TB WD drives that I picked up during black friday sale.

Reactions: T_Minus

Kalam

Mar 18, 2018
Does anyone know if the drive works with supermicro backplane without any modification needed ?
I have their 8TB white label drives plugged into my Supermicro BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane with no issues.

burtonmadness

Feb 19, 2015
I'm buying one for the first time with the sole intent of NOT shucking it. (External backups that go in the fire safe.) My existing 8TB and 5TB externals are full.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I've got the 8TB and 10TB both working in:

BPN-SAS-846A
BPN-SAS-836TQ
BPN-SAS2-836EL1
BPN-SAS2-826EL1
BPN-SAS-826A
BPN-SAS-825TQ

I suspect if your backplane is powered by molex, which doesn't have 3.3v power, you should not have any problems.

Reactions: azev and Patrick

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
I have their 8TB white label drives plugged into my Supermicro BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane with no issues.
same. White and Red drives on my sc846 backplane without any issues/modifications.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
I've got the 8TB and 10TB both working in:

BPN-SAS-846A
BPN-SAS-836TQ
BPN-SAS2-836EL1
BPN-SAS2-826EL1
BPN-SAS-826A
BPN-SAS-825TQ

I suspect if your backplane is powered by molex, which doesn't have 3.3v power, you should not have any problems.
Nothing stoping the MFG from using a buck converter to step 5V, which Molex does have, down to 3V3. having said that, i have yet to see one that has done that.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Nothing stoping the MFG from using a buck converter to step 5V, which Molex does have, down to 3V3. having said that, i have yet to see one that has done that.
Sure, anything is possible. But since HDDs have never used 3.3V, I don't know of any backplane where a MFG went out of their way to make sure there's a 3.3V source from a 5V. If the backplane is powered by a SATA power connector, I can see a MFG just connecting all the pins, and passing along a 3.3V source if its available from the SATA power.

Reactions: Patrick

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
I'm buying one for the first time with the sole intent of NOT shucking it. (External backups that go in the fire safe.) My existing 8TB and 5TB externals are full.
Sorry for going off topic a bit, but over the years I have been studying the possible issues with storing drives and USB memory sticks in fire safes. The maximum non-operating temp of most hard drives is 70c/158f. Most fire safes hold the internal temp to 350f for 60 minutes in a 1200f fire. Fire departments generally put out a fire in 30 minutes. I don't think the average drive will fair too well at 350f for 30 minutes. That said, I have to wonder if a small fire safe inside a larger fire safe would keep the temperature of the drive at a safer level.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Sorry for going off topic a bit, but over the years I have been studying the possible issues with storing drives and USB memory sticks in fire safes. The maximum non-operating temp of most hard drives is 70c/158f. Most fire safes hold the internal temp to 350f for 60 minutes in a 1200f fire. Fire departments generally put out a fire in 30 minutes. I don't think the average drive will fair too well at 350f for 30 minutes. That said, I have to wonder if a small fire safe inside a larger fire safe would keep the temperature of the drive at a safer level.
Aside from the obvious choice of off-site backups, this is an option: Disaster Proof Hardware | Premier Manufacturer of Rugged External Hard Drives and Hard Disk Drives, Portable & Mobile Storage that is Fireproof & Waterproof

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
I know there are reports to the contrary, but https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-sys-5019c-mr-review-a-1u-intel-xeon-e-2100-powerhouse/ currently has two of these installed and running without modification.
While on this subject, they won't power up on Norco RPC-4224. Once I started buying these newer drives like the WD80EZAZ, I deliberated on Kayton taping pin3 on every drive I bought, but I move drives around frequently and didn't have any tolerance for tape falling off and not noticing, re-taping, etc.

So, I slide an Xacto under pin3 and snap it off. 5 seconds, done, never have to think about it again.

Last edited:

msg7086

May 2, 2017
Oh, Okey.

But I'd recommend break the cable pin instead. The drive might lose its 1 yr or 2 yr warranty after this damage.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Has anyone else seen these drives report SMART values for attribute 199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count?

I just noticed that 5 / 12 HDDs are reporting a value of 1 instead of 0. I find that odd as I put them through hell to burn them in for what feels like an eternity (largest drive I had burned in prior was a 6TB HDD). Burn in methodology = SMART short / SMART extended / badblocks / SMART short / SMART extended. All tests completed without error / clean SMART. But I've also learned one thing about burn in: (1) either I'm not doing it right, or (2) proper burn which cleanly completes doesn't mean you won't have a component fail a month later. I've had #2 occur with both HDDs and DIMMs.

I know that this isn't one of the SMART errors that correlates strongly to failure, yet find it interesting nevertheless, as I had 12 HGST Deskstar NAS drives also installed in that same server (and same backplane) and those drives have 10k+ hours on them (minimum) and were in that server for about 3x longer than the WDC drive's current Power-On Time of 1200 hours (50 days). Of those 12 drives, now in an identical SC826, the above provided "dashboard" only notes one "blip" and that being 199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count = 1. I just ran the math on when it occurred and it was prior to deploying my current servers (rather it occurred when it was in an SC836). My point here = I think the integrity of the server and backplane can be ruled out.

Not super concerned regarding this appearing, yet I don't think it is something to completely overlooked, either.
From personal experience I know that HGST will RMA HDDs with the only SMART error being 1 for the same attribute (I've done it twice with the aforementioned 6TB Deskstar NAS drives), so that error must mean something.

I have a cronjob set up in FreeNAS to run SMART tests with the following intervals:
  • Long = 8th and 22nd of month @ 4AM + Short = 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th @ 3 AM
  • I note that as the the provided SMART data (see spoiler in next post, shows the last test was run at hour 822 (16 days ago) which means the cronjob was missed for the following scheduled tests: (1) Long test on 12/22, (2) Short test on 12/26, and (3) Short test on 1/5.
  • While I don't doubt that I had the server powered off for at least one of those days/times, to miss all three would really surprise me. I just looked at the cronjob in FreeNas and it is set up correctly. Be interesting to see if SMART extended runs on 1/8 at 4 AM.
Full SMART data contained in a spoiler in the next post (I hit the character limit when including here in this post).

Last edited: