Intel C202, C204, C206 Xeon E3 Bromolow Motherboards Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

paulsobon

Jun 6, 2011
Michael, thanks for the caution. I will be building storage server in coming months and the P8B WS was in consideration -- but not if 3TB disks can't be set up in RAID.

Patrick, if you'd let this thread know your experinces with P8B and 3TB disks once you've had a chance to test, much appreciated.

jbraband

Feb 23, 2011
i can confirm PigLover's confirmation that Chilly's oem.tgz works for the X9SCM-F's second NIC.

choen

Jun 17, 2011
I have been using S1200btl for the past couple of weeks. It's driving me nuts, because the fan speeds cannot be controlled at all without additional hardware, namely intel's own ffpanel from their server chassis.

It actually took me a while to figure out how to update the bios, frusdr and bmc using the EFI shell (I am using win7 on it and the intel update packages for windows are for server 2008 only). After the update, the server management software has become even more aware that the ffpanel temperature sensor is not connected, and now will only rev the fans at full speed. Updating the FRUSDR to use the fans at lower speeds is an exercise in futility.

Other things frustrates me too, like the fact that the server raid is crippled without buying another hardware to activate it (I think TPM and remote management needs additional hardware activation to function).

NME

Apr 7, 2011
@choen: S1200BTL has "fake" raid, so it cannot be a prof. solution. In Win7 u can use Intel Raid RST, but to get the raid going in Linux or Vmware is very hard. You can update the bios from an Usb Stick chosing the uefi boot option in bios and then starting the startup.nsh file(it is all documented in the Intel bios file).
P.s. Sorry for my bad english.

choen

Jun 17, 2011
@choen: S1200BTL has "fake" raid, so it cannot be a prof. solution. In Win7 u can use Intel Raid RST, but to get the raid going in Linux or Vmware is very hard. You can update the bios from an Usb Stick chosing the uefi boot option in bios and then starting the startup.nsh file(it is all documented in the Intel bios file).
P.s. Sorry for my bad english.
Hi NME, I've already updated the bios and frusdr and bmc through the efi shell. I've even rewritten a couple of lines on the .sdr file to make it read temperature from the baseboard rather than from the non existent ffpanel (as suggested by an engineer at the intel community forum), but this only served to confuse the management program even more. The fans still spin at high speed while reporting errors.

My conclusion is, s1200btl needs the ffpanel hardware to properly control temperature through the fans, which is a stupid design oversight.

phred

Jun 23, 2011
Sorry for maybe jumping into wrong thread.

Is the PERC 5 card compatible with the Intel c204 chipset? I've got two PERCs but need a motherboard for that can run them for my budget storage server I plan to build. The Asus P8B-E/4L seems attractive but also the Supermicro X9SCA-F.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I updated the list with some boards like the Supermicro X9SCA-F, X9SCL+-F, and X9SCi-LN4F as well as links to reviews of some ASUS boards and the X9SCM-F.

Soxiz

Apr 12, 2011
I am going with the Tyan S5512WGM2NR and a E3 1230. What CPU cooler would you suggest?

wiva

Jul 16, 2011
Hi, I was wondering if anyone with the P8B WS has tried out any of the Intel AMT functions especially the KVM remote control?

I have not been able to find any references to anyone using AMT on the P8B WS with a E3-12x5 cpu, but given ASUS has Intel Management Engine Interface software lists as a download for the motherboard I would be interested in knowing what the support is like.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
With the ASUS P8B-M you need the optional ASMB5-iKVM and then you'll have KVM-over-IP with your Xeon E3-1270.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Has anyone had a chance to play with the ASUS P8B-M? I just picked one up for really cheap.

I did notice though that the 12x5 don't utilize the built in video on the cpu on this board:
http://www.asus.com/Server_Workstation/Server_Motherboards/P8BM/#CPUS

I had no idea the 12x0 xeons didn't support KVM over IP. That just SUCKS. :( I found a fleabay deal on a 1270 for $199. No way could I pass that up. :D
I am confused. What does the CPU have to do with KVM over IP? Isn't that a motherboard function? I have a supermicro x9scl-f with xeon 1230 and KVM over IP works just fine. ???

Synthetickiller

Jul 16, 2011
I am confused. What does the CPU have to do with KVM over IP? Isn't that a motherboard function? I have a supermicro x9scl-f with xeon 1230 and KVM over IP works just fine. ???
This is why I said it:

after a bit of research, I saw that C206 natively supports Intel AMT 7.0 (the only other chipset that supports it is q67), i'm not sure which IPMI features you are interested in, but it should be good enough.
just be aware that KVM over IP would only work with processors with integrated graphics
Can anyone confirm this?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So generally for AMT and KVM-over-IP you need Intel vPro (think Q67 chipset.) I'm writing a big piece on this.

NirXY

Apr 25, 2011
So generally for AMT and KVM-over-IP you need Intel vPro (think Q67 chipset.) I'm writing a big piece on this.
there are 3 Intel chipsets that supports KVM over IP :
Q57, Q67, C206
the only reason I would go C206 route is for ECC, but it's a more expensive solution.

HOWEVER - the CPU will need to have on-die Graphics to support KVM over IP, a list of CPU's from the E3 Xeons that support it are :
E3-1225
E3-1235
E3-1245
E3-1260L
E3-1275

list taken from : http://ark.intel.com/compare/52269,53401,52270,52271,52272,52273,52274,52275,52276,52277,52278,55452

AMT 7.0 Product Brief :
http://www.intel.com/en_US/Assets/PDF/prodbrief/itc_amt_for_smb.pdf
(take a look at footnote#2 regarding the KVM support)

overall I think it's the perfect board for a ZFS NAS with Encryption.

Edit : Just to avoid further confusion, the ASUS P8B-M does NOT support KVM over IP as it is C204, but the P8B WS does support it as it's C206

Last edited: