Lenovo M32 Thin Client Just Died

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I have a twin of it that still works and tried swapping power supplies and the like with no joy. Anyone have a suggestion? This was working fine on the remote end of an ipsec tunnel and then just suddenly went down without warning. (Its twin is on the other side of the tunnel and is still working fine.)

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
I have a twin of it that still works and tried swapping power supplies and the like with no joy. Anyone have a suggestion? This was working fine on the remote end of an ipsec tunnel and then just suddenly went down without warning. (Its twin is on the other side of the tunnel and is still working fine.)
The M32 is, what, the small form factor PC-like thing? Pull it apart, pull the coin battery, reseat the RAM and DOM module and see if it fires back up - the service manual is right here. If I have to guess, the Celeron 847 is a BGA chip, so it's soldered onto the board/not replaceable. You might be looking at a possible mainboard failure right here. Time to think replacement if the coin battery pull/reset does not work.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yep, that's the guy. I can't believe I never thought about the CMOS battery! :oops: It was working fine so this is a very likely culprit. I'm off site from it right now but will try it and post back here with the results.

If the battery alone doesn't work, I'll try the reseat on the RAM and DOM. It's actually the 807 chip, so it's a whole motherboard or a replacement unit as it does 2560x1600 through the vga connector. :D

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Yep, that's the guy. I can't believe I never thought about the CMOS battery! :oops: It was working fine so this is a very likely culprit. I'm off site from it right now but will try it and post back here with the results.

If the battery alone doesn't work, I'll try the reseat on the RAM and DOM. It's actually the 807 chip, so it's a whole motherboard or a replacement unit as it does 2560x1600 through the vga connector. :D
Eh, I am pretty sure the QHD display capability is dependent on the monitor and cable quality - most GPUs since 2008 should be able to drive a single QHD screen at 60Hz given a clear signal environment (good cables, compliant LCD, good video port signal routing).

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
This is an oddball setup with a LaCie Electron Blue IV 22" CRT and a small IO gear 2-port KVM. I usually could only run 2048x1536 which is what I though the limit was since that's what the previous thin client would max out at. But when I added the Lenovo I was able to push it to 2560x1600, which is awesome since it matches the res of the 30" Dells I use offsite. I've used 2048x1536 on CRTs since the 2000s so it's hard for me to be super productive on anything less than that.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Well, no joy. :( Replaced the cmos battery and it didn't do anything different. I tried moving the cmos reset jumper to see if that would help or act the way it should in that configuration, but no luck there either. I tried to see if there's an led on the motherboard that indicates power is getting to it, but I couldn't see one. (Maybe because it's surface mount and I can't see it unless it is lit.)

Any other ideas? This was a solid little guy until he croaked. :(

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Well, no joy. :( Replaced the cmos battery and it didn't do anything different. I tried moving the cmos reset jumper to see if that would help or act the way it should in that configuration, but no luck there either. I tried to see if there's an led on the motherboard that indicates power is getting to it, but I couldn't see one. (Maybe because it's surface mount and I can't see it unless it is lit.)

Any other ideas? This was a solid little guy until he croaked. :(
Bad power supply brick? Maybe one of the fuses on the unit kicked off?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tha_14

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Bad power supply brick? Maybe one of the fuses on the unit kicked off?
I was hoping it was the power supply as that would have been a quick fix. Sadly, when I tried the power supply from the other unit that's good, it was still dead. And then just to be thorough, I took the power supply from the bad unit and tried it with the good m32 and the good m32 booted right up.

I couldn't see any fuses on the motherboard, but couldn't see an led power indicator on it either. Although I'm not sure if these type of motherboards will have a power indicator.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
I was hoping it was the power supply as that would have been a quick fix. Sadly, when I tried the power supply from the other unit that's good, it was still dead. And then just to be thorough, I took the power supply from the bad unit and tried it with the good m32 and the good m32 booted right up.

I couldn't see any fuses on the motherboard, but couldn't see an led power indicator on it either. Although I'm not sure if these type of motherboards will have a power indicator.
Time to buy a new machine, then. My guess is that one of the power regulators/fuses blew on the M32. At least replacements are stupid cheap on eBay.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Yeah, too bad one configured like I have is still $50+.
Yeah, but unless they have certain models with a stronger CPU, it's the same chassis, and unless there are evidence to prove otherwise, the other components (flash/SSD/RAM) from the dead machine is likely still good and transferrable.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yeah, but unless they have certain models with a stronger CPU, it's the same chassis, and unless there are evidence to prove otherwise, the other components (flash/SSD/RAM) from the dead machine is likely still good and transferrable.
They do actually as the one I have (or had I guess) has a single core cpu that's clocked higher. But the other components would easily transfer.