Where To start ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lost1130

Dec 8, 2018
i want to build a home server that i can alse have want to be able to do game servers web hosting type of stuff later on so where do i start 1 peice at a time want a rack system ppoe ap and all that plus a personal workstation 5 hedt pc 50 drive synology nas ,security system and home automation i mean the works i want to do a tony stark type system not trying to do a 2tb ram system max everything out either

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Where To start ?
Start describing what you want to archiev :D
Homeserver for me can mean something different than what it means to you.

Also use return more regurlarly :p

lost1130

Dec 8, 2018
I want to be able to do my home automation, nas for music movies, data center for home for all my family files to web hosting stuff like that, host game servers ,and control 32 onsite security cams also work with the other 6 hedt computers and 2 workstations I want this to be done on cat 6a or higher
my server I want to be rackmount and I will have about 1 peta of storage most important want great expandability for this system

Last edited:

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
You will be required to define the project scope in detail, assign a project team & responsibilities, decide on the reporting/ approvals structure, nail down the budget and create a timeline. I can start the P6 documentation but need a deposit.

Reactions: Aestr

lost1130

Dec 8, 2018
Like I was saying...
look not buying this at one time I am building this system in hopes of starting my own wifi service in the future ist great to make fun of what I want only was wanting was a starting point of what is the first thing I should buy to make a system capable of this

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
Your wish list extends into the $200k range. At what point do you get an accountant, let alone professional technical advice?

A petabyte of Synology goodness is going to run $50k alone.

Real tough to take you seriously pal. I originally thought perhaps you won the lottery and wanted a home data center. Many here have them. But I now think you’re a teenager in need of a good raspberry pi.

Last edited:

lost1130

Dec 8, 2018
No I make decent money I just want to put the system together myself is all I'm designing my home to accommodate future upgradeability and increasing my home future value by including these things plus I think it's cool just because I buy a nas capable of 1 peta doesn't mean I have to fill it but its able to if I need it so say I get a 8 drive ok save some money yea but if I need bigger in a few years have to buy new nas if you get what I'm saying I yave a AMD 1950x workstation and we have 4 gaming pcs I understand it it overkill but that's what i want to do with my money and was asking what to star with like as start with a router or a switch and why and I'm 40 ty

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
K.

You want a prosumer router without wifi. A Ubiquiti ERL is a good place to get your feet wet. Deploy 2 LANs and add a couple APs to each. Then you want a enterprise grade L3 PoE switch to interface with.

What comes after that is going to depend on how successful you are at getting your network stable.

Reactions: lost1130

lost1130

Dec 8, 2018
Thank you this is more what I was wanting to know . can I start with the ubiquiti max edge infinity and can you stack routers ? I am some what new been reading and doing as much research as I can not much out there on small home wifi business server type stuff

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
No, you cannot start with edgemax anything and no you cannot stack routers.

You have to start with an ERL and a dumb switch and go from there. If you cannot handle the ERL you cannot move on. Spend the $100 and get started. Once you get it, come back for the next step.

kapone

May 23, 2015
look not buying this at one time I am building this system in hopes of starting my own wifi service in the future ist great to make fun of what I want only was wanting was a starting point of what is the first thing I should buy to make a system capable of this
I'm not making fun of you at all. "Tony Stark" was a metaphor for saying...well..no easy way to say this. You're way out of your league and need someone to build you this.

Assuming you're serious, I wish there was a more polite way to say the above, but there isn't.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Are you trying to host your own game servers for within your house or are you trying to sell game servers as a hosting company to others?

You've got a lot of demands here. If you're trying to sell game servers, do not host them at home.

I think we're struggling with your near term and long term objectives. You've listed some significant requirements.

Reactions: Patriot

Discountsocks

Aug 16, 2018
I'm designing my home to accommodate future upgradeability and increasing my home future value by including these things
You do realize that future home value us not increased by adding custom equipment that you, let alone the future home owner, does not understand?

Reactions: Patriot

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
None of this will add to the value of your home. Wiring up your home with ports/cables might, but even then it's highly unlikely to do much more than what a coat of paint would.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've been new to a hobby and knew what my end-goal was, and that I was ignorant and needed someone to steer me.... I've done it both ways, jump in and buy what I think and spend money twice, or research, read, research read, and then ask questions, and then buy.

I think most are just giving you a good hard time because your questions are lacking need to know specifics but your end-goal is the dreams of many and much more specific.

We can help you much more if you tell us more specifics:

- Are you thinking multiple servers 1 for web hosting, 1 for game hosting, 1 for NAS, 1 for transcoding\streaming, etc or are you wanting to combine as many as you can?

- Do you want backup systems or redundant systems or just the initial 'main systems' for now?

- What are your "goals to launch" (now) vs. complete in say 1yr or 5yr kind of thing.
-- How much disk space?
-- How much CPU available?
-- List every exact use-case "NOW" and planned for 6mo, 1yr, etc, to help us deal with future growth planning in our suggestions

- Do you plan to stream? transcode on the fly?
-- If yes, how many streams or transcodes at once, what resolution?

- Do you need random-access fast storage (SSD, NVME) for VMs, etc... or only HDD?

- What games do you want to host? How many at once?

- What home automation are you using? Do you want to DIY or integrating with 3rd-party?

- Do you NEED snyology or can you DIY a NAS with FreeNAS and SuperMIcro parts?

I have some suggestions but with the above info I'll be able to provide better ones.

lost1130

Dec 8, 2018
I've been new to a hobby and knew what my end goal was, and that I was ignorant and needed someone to steer me... I've done it both ways, jump in and buy what I think and spend money twice, or research, read, research read, and then ask questions, and then buy.

I think most are just giving you a good hard time because your questions are lacking the need to know specifics but your end-goal is the dreams of many and much more specific.

We can help you much more if you tell us more specifics:

- Are you thinking multiple servers 1 for web hosting, 1 for game hosting, 1 for NAS, 1 for transcoding\streaming, etc or are you wanting to combine as many as you can?

- Do you want backup systems or redundant systems or just the initial 'main systems' for now?

- What are your "goals to launch" (now) vs. complete in say 1yr or 5yr kind of thing?
-- How much disk space?
-- How much CPU available?
-- List every exact use-case "NOW" and planned for 6mo, 1yr, etc, to help us deal with future growth planning in our suggestions

- Do you plan to stream? transcode on the fly?
-- If yes, how many streams or transcodes at once, what resolution?

- Do you need random-access fast storage (SSD, NVME) for VMs, etc... or only HDD?

- What games do you want to host? How many at once?

- What home automation are you using? Do you want to DIY or integrating with 3rd-party?

- Do you NEED Synology or can you DIY a NAS with FreeNAS and supermicro parts?

I have some suggestions but with the above info, I'll be able to provide better ones.
Ok cool, so I can answer most of that actually,
multiple servers are ending goal starting server will be an epic duel or quad chip 10 -16 core chip to start brand not sure of might make it myself
i have a 3-year window to launch running wires is all right now cat 6a in every room might do 7 if it becomes more available price wise
50tb for server 50tb in nas (but I want the big one that is able to do peta for nas and for server or 150+ drives)
CPU on server 32+ starting server going rack so it open-ended there
streaming music and movies to family and friends connected to my network not only on my home be able to keep all my finances extra safe control my internet connections and home automation and security I have now made host Minecraft up to 10 streams at one time 4k editing