OmniOS 151028 stable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
OmniOS 151028 stable, announced Nov 2018
omniosorg/omnios-build

If you want to evaluate the new features ex Bhyve or the other LX zones or ZFS improvements you can install OmniOS bloody 151027. This is the development path to the stable 151028.

As there is a newer Perl release, you must use or update napp-it to newest 18.01d free, 18.06 or 18.09dev from today. The new releases now support 151027+.

asche

Oct 6, 2017
For OmniOS 151027 (bloody): I can't get around the "sudo: PAM account management error: Permission denied " error.

I note that you, gea, have stated on your napp-it homepage that

Problems with OmniOS 151027 bloody
If you get PAM authentication error when starting napp-it, you must reset the password for user napp-it:
At console as root, run:
# passwd napp-it

then reboot

but it does not work - neither setting an empty password nor a new non-empty one (whether as "su" root via SSH or whether directly logged in as root via console). This is from a fresh install of bloody.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
When I installed the bloody, adding a password to user napp-it fixed the problem. The newer SSH implementation seems to be the reason as this does not allow empty passwords (even when the account is disabled like with user napp-it).,

Have you also added a password to root?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If the permission problem persists, try the following commands

userdel napp-it
useradd -s /bin/false napp-it
passwd napp-it
rm /tmp/err.log
/etc/init.d/napp-it restart

then retry the GUI

asche

Oct 6, 2017
Sorry for the late reply gea, I think I might have managed to solve this issue with installing without passwords and setting a user and root password (and napp-it?) from the console (not over SSH).

In the end I went back to OmniOS stable (...26) however as I could not set up a ZFS pool from my SATA drives from the CLI. CLI set up of the pool worked under OmniOS stable.

Need to revise my setup once more anyway, so may give bloody another shot.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
OmniOS 151028 stable is available
omniosorg/omnios-build

OmniOS 151028 comes with a newer Perl and SSH/sudo handling
After an update, you may get permission or io.tty errors.

To avoid these problems, update napp-it Free/Pro/Dev to newest prior an OmniOS update.
Additionally you must set a password for user napp-it

A password for user napp-it is only required by sudo, user napp-it cannot login.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
There are some reports of problems around SSH/SSL

On a clean install of OmniOS 151028 SSH and ex SSL/TLS work as expected.
But I have seen several problems on updates (depends on first version in the update chain)
as 151028 finalized the move from Sun SSH to OpenSSH.

What you can try on problems
Update to newest napp-it free/pro/dev.
In menu Services > SSH you can update SSH settings to OpenSSH defaults

or
- check SSH settings, see Deprecating SunSSH Options
- deinstall and reinstall SSH

Maybe the fastest way is (around 30 minutes, no trouble seeking is as fast)
install 151028 from scratch and import the datapool
you must save/restore /var/web-gui/_log and users with same uid to keep napp-it and basic settings
(napp-it Pro: run a backup job that saves this to the datapool, restore via Users > Resore)

Last edited:

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I'm having issues with open-vm-tools after upgrading to 151028, the tools won't start automatically and uninstalling and reinstalling the open-vm-tools package doesn't seem to fix. Running on ESXi 6.5U2. Hopefully the open-vm-tools package just needs an update?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Open-vm-tools are newest 10.3 so don't expect an update.

What I can say is that the tools work in 6.7u1 (current ESXi) on a clean install of 151028. In my own environment I have decided not to update but to do a clean install, mainly due the not working TLS mails after an update (OmniOS 028 comes with a newer Perl and finalised the switch from Sun SSH to Opan-SSH what can give problems with older apps that rely on them - or former versions had a dependency).

For a basic re-install
- backup and restore napp-it settings in /var/web-gui/_log/*
- recreate users with same uid/gid

or save and restore /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/user_attr, /etc/group and /var/smb/*

A new ESXi template with OmniOS 151028 is on the way with everything preconfigured. I will pubish it with the newest ZFS vCluster aware napp-it in a few days. This template will rely on ESXi 6.7 due newer features.

Last edited:

solaris12

Jul 3, 2013
Open-vm-tools are newest 10.3 so don't expect an update.
A new ESXi template with OmniOS 151028 is on the way with everything preconfigured. I will pubish it with the newest ZFS vCluster aware napp-it in a few days. This template will rely on ESXi 6.7 due newer features.
Hi gea
I am going to upgrade my napp-it-15d with esxi 5.1 to napp-it-028 with esxi 6.7 on same host, what will be steps you suggest?

thanks

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Many options

I would create an USB stick from the ESXi iso (Google: Rufus) and boot from it.
Then select update ESXi (keep datastore)

Then Install OmniOS with nappit. Add vmware tools (pkg install open-vm-tools) .
If you use an HBA in pass-through mode add it to the VM. Then import the datapool.

For newer ZFS features update the ZFS version (Menu Pools > click on the pool version)

Reactions: gigatexal

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I have uploaded a first release of the new template
with OmniOS 151028 and napp-it 18.02 free for ESXi 6.7

groove

Sep 21, 2011
Thanks gea,

Quick question - do you know if OmniOS 151028 supports iSer over ROCE (Ethernet) on Connectx-3 cards. I know Solaris 11.4 does not (or at least I have not been able to get it to work). So I was wondering if you or some some on this site can confirm if OmniOS supports iSer over Ethernet.

Thanks in advance.

asche

Oct 6, 2017
I'm having issues with open-vm-tools after upgrading to 151028, the tools won't start automatically and uninstalling and reinstalling the open-vm-tools package doesn't seem to fix.
For completeness' sake: Have you checked the "svcs" / svcadmin output (not sure about syntax)? I had an NTP service running which prevented open-vm-tools from starting. They are exclusive since several months. Stopped NTP and open-vm-tools worked again as intended.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
For completeness' sake: Have you checked the "svcs" / svcadmin output (not sure about syntax)? I had an NTP service running which prevented open-vm-tools from starting. They are exclusive since several months. Stopped NTP and open-vm-tools worked again as intended.
Thanks for the suggestion, looks like the command is indeed "svcs". However, it does show the ntp service being "offline".

I'll rebuild with the new appliance, it does seem like there are a number of issues upgrading from previous OmniOS versions.

asche

Oct 6, 2017
@RyC, you need to uninstall (remove) NTP. Only then will open-vm-tools start. If both are installed, both will be "offline".

Rebuilding seems to be the cleaner way forward, of course.

Reactions: RyC

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
@RyC, you need to uninstall (remove) NTP. Only then will open-vm-tools start. If both are installed, both will be "offline".

Rebuilding seems to be the cleaner way forward, of course.
Gotcha, I'll keep that in mind in case I run into this again. Thank you!