Cheap desktop case that will fit supermicro E-ATX 12 x 13 motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I wanna convert one of my server for a workstation and curious if anyone know what case will fit a 12" x 13" motherboard and have enough height for a noctua coolers ? I am hoping to spent the least amount of $$ for this project and I found it very difficult to find motherboard compatibility based on the case spec.
I read not all E-ATX case will support E-ATX size motherboard, so I just want to find out if anyone here have any suggestion.

Thanks

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I don't know about cheap but
IIRC, someone posted in DIY section on how he/she managed s2600cp2j in NZXT S340.

The other options discussed were Define R2 XL etc.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Fractal has some Bigtowers that will probably fit it.

Though you have to be careful since server boards don't necessarily adhere to the ATX mounting spec.
in My experience, Supermicro doesn't.

Wendel from Level1techs once did a video about how to mod a case into mounting such a board. Could have been on the CritTV / Techsyndicate channel. But who cares.

I myself did convert 2 InWin 303s and one InWin 805 to mount those boards.
The biggest Problem are riveted standoffs in the wrong place. Only way to get rid of them was to remove them forcefully.
Corsair Carbide*? states to fit, but they have fixed standoffs too, so i returned that case.

A customer of me, went with a fractal bigtower for his intel s2600cp4.

The LianLi PC08 Dynamic der 8auer edition might work, but only with 3U coolers if i'm not mistaking.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
@RageBone Thanks for the info, I will check out your suggestion.
Anyone familiar with this case ?? Looked like it can fit and appears to be a pretty decent case, and most of all it doesn't look like it has a riveted motherboard stands. Just from eyeballing the pre drilled hole for the mount, it might actually fit a supermicro 12 x 13.

Last edited:

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I can confirm you can fit Intel and SuperMicro E-ATX boards into a NZXT S340 :)

You just have to add a few standoffs, but that is really quick and easy to do.
I can't think of a smaller case off the top of my head either.

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
I think there's a $50 Phanteks case that is on sale right now that will hold E-ATX just fine.

Phanteks Eclipse P300 PH-EC300PTG_BK Black Steel Chassis, Tempered Glass $50 @Newegg 10-30-2018

There are a few deals:
Computer Case Deals, Coupons and Sales | Slickdeals.net

Most of the new gaming cases fit this stuff just fine due to all the added space for radiators/water cooling at the front.
I don't think the P300 would work here, since it says "Maximum 275mm" for E-ATX

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I'm going to be trying this soon to see if it works, but an old-school full size tower chase like the Chieftec Dragon series might fit the bill nicely--especially if you find it for next to free like I did. :)

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
I can happily put the "deepCool" D-shield V2 on to the list.
It has no fixed standoffs, and holes for the normal, standard E-ATX that supermicro does not comply too.

Very awesomely the case has more space up top to fit for example fans or watercooling radiators, so i can say that my EE-ATX Supermicro X10DRC-LN4+ will fit into this case.

Though i and you will need to drill and tap new holes for the standoffs.

From the looks, it appears as if deepcool uses one base steel frame for many of their cases making what if said so far basically apply to all of them.

EDIT:
Only applies to the D-Shield V2
and the E-Shield.
What a bummer.

EDIT2: if you can get either of them, they seem to be 50$ cases, and i actually like that case, and i'm a snob with cases.

Last edited:

Tette

Nov 8, 2017
I have mounted a Supermicro x9dri-ln4f+ (13.68" x 13") in a Corsair Carbide AIR 540, just have to be creative and ad some standoffs. can confirm X8DTi-F 12"x13" bord also works. Note almost all cable grommet holes will be covered.rsz_img_20171119_132150.jpg

Last edited:

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I can confirm that both a GA-7PESH2 and X9DRD 7LN4F will fit in an NZXT H500 (or i)... Case was 69.95 at an undisclosed uCenter 2 weeks ago - so not Rosewill cheap but still relatively inexpensive. 5 standoffs have to be drilled and (should be) tapped. I am using 2 x Noctua NH-U12DX-i4 which cost more than the case. The system is pretty quiet even under load.