X9DRI-LN4F+ all ram slots populated

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

qba82

Nov 7, 2018
Hi guys,
I have X9DRI-LN4F+ and I used 16 ram slots with those modules: M392B1K70CM0-YH9
Everything was working fine, DDR speed was 1333Mhz, but I needed more ram so I added additional 8, so all 24 ram slots was populated.
After I added them, DDR speed dropped to 800mhz, question is, why speed is not 1066mhz?

azev

Jan 18, 2013
can you manually set the speed instead of using spd in bios and see if that makes a difference ?

Reactions: qba82

qba82

Nov 7, 2018
I can set it manually, but what if it doesn't post? Server is in dc, and I am not sure if I can enter bios with ipmi if server will not post?

qba82

Nov 7, 2018
One more thing, I have memory modules that support 1.35v/1.5v but my motherboard set it to 1.35v and I don't see any option to make it 1.5v, maybe it is the problem?

qba82

Nov 7, 2018
Ok, sorry for spam, but, YEY, it works, I set it to 1066mhz manually and server posted and what is more interesting, it raised voltage to 1.5v :D

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Fully populated DRAM dropping half the speed is a normal thing on server boards.

Refer to the manual for confirmation.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Fully populated DRAM dropping half the speed is a normal thing on server boards.

So asus z9pe-d16 and z10pe-d16 or intel s2600 doesn't count? didn't see that drop with those boards myself. Maybe it's another SM idiosyncracy?

qba82

Nov 7, 2018
that's one big MB, you use customized case?
I use CSE-815 1U

In manual it clearly said that with fully populated slots with 2Rx4 it support 800 and 1066 so in auto it should switch to 1066mhz right? But it didn't, I set it manually and it works fine with 1066mhz.

I was running memtest all night with those settings, and there was no errors :)

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017

So asus z9pe-d16 and z10pe-d16 or intel s2600 doesn't count? didn't see that drop with those boards myself. Maybe it's another SM idiosyncracy?
  • Actually it is Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling (DVFS) aka Turbo Boost, and soundly Intel spec / OEM agnostic.
In manual it clearly said that with fully populated slots with 2Rx4 it support 800 and 1066 so in auto it should switch to 1066mhz right? But it didn't, I set it manually and it works fine with 1066mhz.

I was running memtest all night with those settings, and there was no errors :)
  • Reference aforementioned memory config document, FAQ Item #1
  • I'm assuming you have 2 x E5-2600 v2 CPUs? + LVRDIMMs = 800. You are looking at the RDIMM line.
  • I previously had the same board + 2 x E5-2680 v2s + 24 x 8GB LVRDIMMs and encountered the exact same thing.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
if you read the manual, i believe that speed is correct for 1.35v modules. if you want the higher speed, you need to use 1.5v modules.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
so weird.... this must be just SM.... and maybe because it has more than the usual numbers of ram slots?

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
so weird.... this must be just SM.... and maybe because it has more than the usual numbers of ram slots?
Dell and HP are very similar. It's the CPU that defines the memory support, not the board (for the most part).

That's one of the reasons it is such a big deal to see if you are getting dual rank or quad rank DRAM as well.

Quad rank will run slower on some machines, but faster on others.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
The Supermicro muthabords with a "+" at the end means they have extra DIMM slots and are usually EE-ATX larger form factor; but it also means when fully populated it runs slower.

Reactions: wildpig1234

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Here's a Dell R720 for comparison... very similar memory speed results when fully populated:

upload_2018-11-8_18-32-21.png

You can only get the highest DRAM speeds with 1 or 2 dimms per channel, as you add more dimms, your speeds decrease.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
I can set it manually, but what if it doesn't post? Server is in dc, and I am not sure if I can enter bios with ipmi if server will not post?

IPMI is out of band. Even if the server is off, you can get into IPMI. Thats what its called various names like "Lights Out Management",.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Ok, sorry for spam, but, YEY, it works, I set it to 1066mhz manually and server posted and what is more interesting, it raised voltage to 1.5v :D
Now I'm curious ... How did you make that change? If not IPMI?
Yes , but I will probably can NOT change bios right?
Are you asking if you can change BIOS settings via IPMI? If so you absolutely can. If you didn't make the changes you referenced (forced memory speed/voltage) via IPMI, you did so via physical access? Previously you noted the server was in a different location, so I'm confused here (but I'm physically tired, and especially tired of shucking drives, so I may have missed the obvious - see final note below).

Reference Figure 1 - BIOS settings via IPMI View client - an example from the SMCI IPMI View Client, KVM console (emulation of exactly what a connected monitor would present).

What @SPCRich is trying to convey to you is that even if "Chassis Power Status = OFF" (i.e. "lights out"), IPMI operates independently of the system's BIOS / OS, etc.

Reference Figure 2 - System Summary via IPMI web ui - an example showing that you can still manipulate settings while the chassis is in an OFF state, in that specific screenshot Power On. However, a good many of the server's settings are configurable via IPMI, with the chassis OFF, more so than even if you had a keyboard / monitor directly connected in a dc.

Regarding IPMI & POST, if you encounter an error IPMI still presents the boot screen and notes "System initializing ... [EC]"; where EC = a two character alphanumeric code such as BA, B7, B9, etc. in the Java Viewer ...

[If you know all of this may bad, but I got a message notification while I happened to be in my BIOS via IPMI and figured I'd screen shot it for you - as it seems like you are looking for a better understanding here and everyone is happy to help]

Figure 1

Figure 2

qba82

Nov 7, 2018
Of course I made changes with IPMI, I asked what if server will not post, can I still change bios with ipmi?