10x Chelsio T440 Quad port 10G SFP+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
Odd question, but I'm planning my ESXi upgrade and I'm wondering on a multiport card like this, can you pass individual ports on the card to different virtual machines? Or can you only pass the card in its entirety?

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Odd question, but I'm planning my ESXi upgrade and I'm wondering on a multiport card like this, can you pass individual ports on the card to different virtual machines? Or can you only pass the card in its entirety?
I dont have this particular card, but my passthrough experience with multiport nic card as such is usually done per card and not per port.
ESXi register pci address per card and not per port. (I've done this on a few emulex and qlogic multiport card)

Reactions: Craash

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
I was afraid that was the case. Thank you very much for the response.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
i think what might be close to what you're looking for is SR-IOV.. i don't know if this card supports it...

Reactions: Craash

azev

Jan 18, 2013
The same seller. He changed original listing of 10x to separate items. They are actual NICs with good performance and drivers. Only downside is PCI-E 2.0.
I wouldn't consider PCI-E 2.0 a downside, at 8x PCI-E 2.0 lanes x 500MB per lane, I say this product does push the limit of maximum throughput of a PCI-E 2.0.
I have many Emulex dual port 10Gb deployed and they can easily saturate the 20Gb port.

lambda

Oct 27, 2018
If I am not mistaken, Chelsio only support iWAPR instead of the more popular RoCE. However, their driver support on OS X is very good.

Kingmer

Nov 19, 2017
I bought ones of these, it was delivered yesterday - i put it in my server box, it was recognized instantly by server 2016 - used a copper SPF+ to hook it up to a microtek cloud swutch....basically to give my home server a 10gbs "backbone" to serve all of the houses 1gbs lines instead of usings 1gbs link agegation.

The question: I have never used 10Gbs before, and everything seems to work - but i see alot of people reccommending fiber instead of copper...what do i lose by using the 3 meter copper SPF+ cable matters cable i bought from Amazon? If i wanted to use fiber i would need special connectors and fiber optic cables? How much is all that? The amazon cable was like 16$?

oddball

May 18, 2018
You lose nothing by using a copper DAC. Copper is limited to 5m or so, beyond that you need a fiber run.

You can buy active optical cables that have a built in transceiver with a fiber cable. The only advantage to fiber for short runs is the cables are thinner and more flexible. This doesn't matter as much at 10g, but at 40g it makes a pretty big difference in cable routing.