Investigating Implausible Bloomberg Supermicro Stories

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
That's different for you guys, but it's really thorough as a summary. You could have gone into more detail on the complexities of adding motherboard traces.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Patrick, do you believe that the original Bloomberg piece was made completely out of bad faith, or that it was edited and processed by someone that doesn't had enough technical knowledge about the matter and gave a too generalist and ambiguous description that ended up being wrong on facts? I'm not including the implied bias that it just appeared to bash Supermicro and potential stock price manipulation due to that.
The impression that Bloomberg coverage gives me is the same one that when some journalists here in my country tried to cover new social phenomenons when they gain enough notoriety for them to receive mainstream attention, like BitCoin, early social media platforms like Fotolog or Facebook, or hell, even Internet itself during late 90's. They put info digestable enough for a Joe Average to read, but anyone that has previous knowledge or first hand experience about the matter thinks that the writer has no idea about what it is talking about, or does so in a very wrongly way.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am not sure it matters what I think.

However, unlike your early examples, there are only anonymous sources that corroborate. Tim Cook is not asking for a retraction because someone dumbed a topic down. After speaking to Yossi Appleboum and hearing his account first hand, I do think that Bloomberg is singling out Supermicro and its customers since it is presenting broad industry concerns as the issue of a single company.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Patrick...put on your tinfoil hat... :)

I do think the Bloomberg piece was intentional and I think the motivations for the piece can only boil down to:

- They needed a "clickbait/sensationalism/OMG/.." type of story (as usual) and put out a half assed/potentially false article.
- They were given the right "nudge" with potentially missing/outright false information and essentially "asked" to run that piece.

No other explanation makes sense. It can't be stock manipulation, Supermicro's stock trades on the Pink Sheets and their market cap is not big enough for any half serious money manager to even look at them. The lack of corroboration is telling... not one single third party verification has come forth.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
lol... glad i bought a few supermicro shares....

anyway, my x9sra experiment is a failed one. i thought this will be the do-it-all board... not so... oh well, at least the supermicro shares will make up for it?

zack123

Jan 3, 2016
I think if there were any truth to the Bloomberg story, especially if the government knew about it, there would be a certain Twitter user be tweeting very loudly about it and blaming his predecessor for not protecting the country.

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
I think if there were any truth to the Bloomberg story, especially if the government knew about it, there would be a certain Twitter user be tweeting very loudly about it and blaming his predecessor for not protecting the country.
It could still happen. On October 9th a Chinese spy was extradited from Belgium to the US to face charges. The spy was first arrested in April following a US led sting operation. It's interesting that he has not yet done the perp walk on a Fox News exclusive, although he is the first Chinese spy ever to face charges in the states.

The tell will be when the story makes the 6 o'clock news, and the ensuing Twitter response. With mid-term elections a few weeks away, demonizing China in the media is gaining momentum.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
My source is Reuters; care to elaborate?
LMGTFY

Since any counterexample will suffice I'll randomly choose Ji Chaoqun, charged in Sep 2018. You could also pick Jerry Chun Shing, Kevin Patrick Mallory, Ron Rockwell Hansen, etc. Reuters may have meant something else that got lost along the way, but this is pretty easy to verify/refute.

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
I'll take your word on it. What's your take on how this particular deal is happening?