Need Help - N40L keeps crashing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Leo Levosky

May 17, 2017
Hi,

Not sure what section I should be posting this in?

I have an HP N40L which has been running WHS 2011 fine for a long time. Now it keeps powering itself off (orange light rather than green) and I don't know what this means. Does it mean WHS is crashing or does it mean a hardware failure? It is doing it almost daily now and I don't know how to work out what is happening.

If the hardware is okay what operating system would you suggest putting on it now? It is just acting as a file server and running LMS server for my Squeezeboxes.

Thanks,

Leo

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Server is in standby then? Connect a USB keyboard and press Ctrl, Space or Return. Or try a mouse, click left. Does server come back up?

Leo Levosky

May 17, 2017
The server comes back when I press the power button but it goes back to standby sometime later. That time can be an hour, a day or a couple of days. What I don't understand is whether this means a hardware issue or just WHS crashing.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
The server comes back when I press the power button but it goes back to standby sometime later. That time can be an hour, a day or a couple of days. What I don't understand is whether this means a hardware issue or just WHS crashing.
Does event viewer in WHS2011 show anything like a BSOD? If not, I am going to guess that it's the PSU (power supply) falling off a cliff. To test that, just run any Linux LiveCD, put a heavy system load through it for, say, 10-15 minutes. If it still does that, it's the PSU.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Is it possible the power settings are messed up and it sleeps when idle?
Could be, but you did say that the machine only comes out of sleep using a push off the power button (and nothing else)...right? Or does a click off a USB mouse or a tap off the keyboard work as well?