Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
for v8 running on the icx series

Code:
enable
conf t
lag TO-LB6M dynamic
ports ethernet 1/3/1 e 1/3/2
primary-port 1/3/1
deploy
exit
write mem

#view status
show lag
for v7 running on the LB6M

Code:
enable
conf t
interface ethernet 1 ethernet 2
link-aggregate conf key 10000
link-aggregate active
exit
write mem

#view status
show link-aggregate
starting to wonder why I bothered putting the clear, well written manuals (that include exactly what I wrote above) in the firmware zips
Thanks, I'm running the native code on my LB* series, not the brocade code.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Now I can start working on my Sonos issue..
Gave the built in DHCP server a go to see if I would run into your issue, and I did indeed with a couple IOT type stuff. After a ton of debugging, it turned out to be the fact the FastIron DHCP server is not set as authoritative, and some DHCP stack implementations (like Roku's and Sonos) do not like this, and will ignore it.

I went ahead and just spun up a really lightweight debian VM running isc-dhcp-server, it has it's own transit vlan to the switch, and the switch is set to relay all DHCP requests to it.

Gives me WAY more control than the built in dhcp server in FastIron or pfsense, and with glass-isc-dhcp you get really nice visualizations and lookup of all leases that you wouldn't get otherwise: Akkadius/glass-isc-dhcp

let me know if you want some help setting it up as well as my isc-dhcp config, it's as simple as just apt install isc-dhcp-server then copy in a config, and it'll serve DHCP requests to multiple routed vlans on your switch (just need an ip-helper statement under each VE on the switch)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Just added a new section to the original post, "Useful posts" - a collection of links to very useful posts that would otherwise be buried 30 pages in this thread

also added a link to the latest FAQ, datasheet, and architecture brief for each switch. As far as I know, the architecture brief PDF's were never intended to be public, and contain some interesting info

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
Gave the built in DHCP server a go to see if I would run into your issue, and I did indeed with a couple IOT type stuff. After a ton of debugging, it turned out to be the fact the FastIron DHCP server is not set as authoritative, and some DHCP stack implementations (like Roku's and Sonos) do not like this, and will ignore it.

I went ahead and just spun up a really lightweight debian VM running isc-dhcp-server, it has it's own transit vlan to the switch, and the switch is set to relay all DHCP requests to it.

Gives me WAY more control than the built in dhcp server in FastIron or pfsense, and with glass-isc-dhcp you get really nice visualizations and lookup of all leases that you wouldn't get otherwise: Akkadius/glass-isc-dhcp

let me know if you want some help setting it up as well as my isc-dhcp config, it's as simple as just apt install isc-dhcp-server then copy in a config, and it'll serve DHCP requests to multiple routed vlans on your switch (just need an ip-helper statement under each VE on the switch)

............"the FastIron DHCP server is not set as authoritative,"

Can you expand on what you meant by "authoritative" in regards to a DHCP Server.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
Just added a new section to the original post, "Useful posts" - a collection of links to very useful posts that would otherwise be buried 30 pages in this thread

also added a link to the latest FAQ, datasheet, and architecture brief for each switch. As far as I know, the architecture brief PDF's were never intended to be public, and contain some interesting info
That is now a very helpful PAGE ONE

ljvb

Nov 8, 2015

The main reason I switched away from isc (and for a time, test AD dhcp server), was due to the fact that when I took down the box.. the entire network crapped out, even though I have set the lease time to 7 days. Granted, I think that has more to do with the NetGear Orbi (i am going to replace it, I got it when I moved into my new house to quickly get the TiVos setup without running wires everywhere) than anything else, but it is still a problem. I don't really need any advanced DHCP yet, when I do, I'll probably use MS AD and associated DHCP for domain services (which I will then promptly break :) )

kapone

May 23, 2015
The main reason I switched away from isc (and for a time, test AD dhcp server), was due to the fact that when I took down the box.. the entire network crapped out, even though I have set the lease time to 7 days. Granted, I think that has more to do with the NetGear Orbi (i am going to replace it, I got it when I moved into my new house to quickly get the TiVos setup without running wires everywhere) than anything else, but it is still a problem. I don't really need any advanced DHCP yet, when I do, I'll probably use MS AD and associated DHCP for domain services (which I will then promptly break :) )
This is one of the biggest reasons, I'm a big proponent of keeping your DC/AD/DNS/DHCP (assuming you're using/need a dedicated server for this) as a physical, separate box. Once configured, the DC/DNS/DHCp box should rarely need updating.

And these can be very low power "servers". I use a J1900 based box that idles at less than 10w. I'm willing to burn 10w for the flexibility it gives me.

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
I've had similar issues when I was using my pfsense box as a DHCP server - everytime I rebooted it for updates, it broke the network. EVERYTHING had to be disconnected and reconnected back. I've since switched to dual AD servers with DHCP failover, on Hyper-V. Keeps things peachy whenever servers need to be rebooted.
Most importantly though, Plex stays on.

Juan C

Oct 9, 2018
Greensboro, NC
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I just picked up one of these to replace a Netgear PoE switch I'm running in the lab. Quick question, would this be a good card to connect an ESXi server to the switch? I mean, it's totally overkill, but who doesn't want 40Gbps running to their VMs? Also, @fohdeesha I'd totally appreciate a license if you still have one available! :)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
This is one of the biggest reasons, I'm a big proponent of keeping your DC/AD/DNS/DHCP (assuming you're using/need a dedicated server for this) as a physical, separate box. Once configured, the DC/DNS/DHCp box should rarely need updating.

And these can be very low power "servers". I use a J1900 based box that idles at less than 10w. I'm willing to burn 10w for the flexibility it gives me.
This is what redundant hypervisors with HA/live migrate are for. I honestly can't remember the last time I lost a service even for a couple minutes, it's been a couple years at least. Pfsense goes in vm's on each host too, nothing like hitless pf upgrades!

mixmansc

Feb 15, 2016
If anyone needs them a seller on eBay has a pair of the 1000w power supplies for the 6610 POE (brand new rev C) models for dirt cheap. $10.00 plus shipping!

Lot of 2 Brocade RPS16-E 1000W Power Supply for ICX6610 RPS16-E 881119179654 | eBay

I dont need the power supplies (my 6610 is not POE) myself but the same seller also had a pair of the fan modules which I did get for $24.98. :) I just noticed they had those power supplies too. I'm hoping adding the secondary fan module will give my 6610 just a tiny bit more default cooling capacity plus having a spare is a big plus.

Reactions: fohdeesha

ljvb

Nov 8, 2015
If anyone needs them a seller on eBay has a pair of the 1000w power supplies for the 6610 POE (brand new rev C) models for dirt cheap. $10.00 plus shipping!

Lot of 2 Brocade RPS16-E 1000W Power Supply for ICX6610 RPS16-E 881119179654 | eBay

I dont need the power supplies (my 6610 is not POE) myself but the same seller also had a pair of the fan modules which I did get for $24.98. :) I just noticed they had those power supplies too. I'm hoping adding the secondary fan module will give my 6610 just a tiny bit more default cooling capacity plus having a spare is a big plus.
Bidding currently at around $10.. no buy it now price.. who knows how high it will go.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
To everyone who I've already sent licenses - count yourself lucky, as that's the last anyone will be getting

Just found out someone not only sold my licenses on ebay, but did one better and gave them to an ebay seller, who has been selling switches with them loaded. The ebay seller might be the STH member himself, I'm not sure yet. tempted to wipe this entire thread

Last edited:

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
To everyone who I've already sent licenses - count yourself lucky, as that's the last anyone will be getting

Just found out someone not only sold my licenses on ebay, but did one better and gave them to an ebay seller, who has been selling switches with them loaded. The ebay seller might be the STH member himself, I'm not sure yet. tempted to wipe this entire thread
Sorry this happened to you, it sucks. I hope you find out who did this and send the info to Patrick and they get banned from here.

I for one found this thread extremely helpful and hope you keep the data here and appreciate everything you contribute to STH.