New Intel Xeon W-3175X 28 Cores and Core i9-9900K 8-Core Launched

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
New Core i9 SKUs based on Skylake-E silicon? Boring. Besides some extra MHzs across the board and Cache L3 here and there (Actually, the Ci7 9800X lost Cache L3 compared to the previous Core i7 7820X that was at the same price point. And not sure if it has 28 PCIe Lanes or the almost full 44, since Xeons W have 48), prices stayed roughly around the same.
The Xeon W part is interesing because it is the first Workstation part for LGA 3647. It seems that it will be very, very expensive, too.
For the Desktop part, Intel isn't making clear what is new silicon and what is not. Coffee Lake so far has a 6C die that is new silicon, but the 4C parts were based on previous Kaby Lake. The 8C die looks to be new, but will Intel re-use 6C Coffee Lake and 4C Kaby Lake for the other parts?

Reactions: gigatexal

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Amazing what a competitive AMD gets you these days.
Exactly my point too. Intel is hatching out cores like never before after milking us (read customers) for many many years, but ONLY after being kinda forced to by fierce competition by AMD.

We just have to say THANKS A BILLION AMD! And people strongly need to consider supporting AMD by their next IT procurement. So that there can be good alternatives out there for us.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
New Core i9 SKUs based on Skylake-E silicon? Boring. Besides some extra MHzs across the board and Cache L3 here and there (Actually, the Ci7 9800X lost Cache L3 compared to the previous Core i7 7820X that was at the same price point. And not sure if it has 28 PCIe Lanes or the almost full 44, since Xeons W have 48), prices stayed roughly around the same.
The Xeon W part is interesing because it is the first Workstation part for LGA 3647. It seems that it will be very, very expensive, too.
For the Desktop part, Intel isn't making clear what is new silicon and what is not. Coffee Lake so far has a 6C die that is new silicon, but the 4C parts were based on previous Kaby Lake. The 8C die looks to be new, but will Intel re-use 6C Coffee Lake and 4C Kaby Lake for the other parts?
Did you think you’d ever get overclockable xeons if not for AMD? You can’t blame AMD for intel being unable to get to a better process

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
For a lot of people on the desktop I am sure it’s now so many cores they can never user, a few will but not so many. When you look at the desktop CPU’s and the cores with high frequency it kind of make the server CPU’s seem rather weak.
The entire Xeon bronze and silver line I would imagined in our cpu grunt is less than an i9-9900k ! (For $500 only)
Yes I absolutely know PCIe lanes, ECC, other RAS features etc but really just interesting to see what applications arrive to use all this power going to be available.

(Of course content creation and CAD etc will love it as will scientists but that’s not the biggest market, although lucrative)

Reactions: T_Minus

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
This looks perfect for a ESXi server. I'm thinking of trying it out when the parts become widely available. I rather like the Threadripper 2990WX too, but torn since the Xeon W series is utilizing a single NUMA node vs four.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
One of these overclocked to 5Ghz on all cores (HT off if needed, 28 threads is plenty), 4 RTX 2080tis and a bunch of SSDs boom done.

I’d still rather have a threadripper setup for the more PCI-e lanes.

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
The only thing good about i9-9900k is the single and 4 core speed.....

The multicore speed sucks compared to what you get with dual 2670 v2 for about half the price you pay right now for this i9 part.