EXPIRED Intel SSDPE2MD400G4E Intel SSD DC P3700 Series (400GB) €199

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So same seller as the Mellanox Cards, has some brand new Dell branded Intel P3700 400GBs

Intel SSDPE2MD400G4E Intel SSD DC P3700 Series KFR6H | eBay

I have not gotten any of them since I don't have a way to run 10 nvme drives concurrently for the uber storage box unfortunately, so not sure if they come with Dell or intel firmware/are intel firmware flashable or not.

Same circumstances will apply here as on the CX456's (re shipping, bulk buying etc).

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
That is a good price for a brand new drive though. Lowest I've ever seen.

I can't keep up with the RandCL ...

Supported - Part - Comment
ja doch! - Optane - ja doch!
EOL - P3700 - OLD TECH BAH
??? - P3700 @ qty 10 - Very Nice

:) All in good fun o/c.

IMO, the P3700 still has its place (sure you agree or you wouldn't have posted), but I'm glad I followed your implied lead and went only Optane, as recently now that it is actually working (forgoing the fact I can't pass it through), it has made me quite pleased with my systems.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Lol.
Optane wins over P3700 in everything but endurance and price (and official plp o/c) (and maybe speed consistency but I have not seen long time optane saturation speed tests and have performed none myself)

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Lol.
Optane wins over P3700 in everything but endurance and price (and official plp o/c)
  • And you get all of these cool Sabre Raven ships (consumer only o/c)!!! OK, I have no clue what they are actually, but thank god they exist as they reduced my net on each by ~$70-75 thanks to ebay.
  • AND ... P3700 has + 200 MB/s sequential read (but nobody really cares about that anyway) ... 2700 MB/s = not to shabby for "old tech" (ok I'm done repeating that, its lost its luster now).
(and maybe speed consistency but I have not seen long time optane saturation speed tests and have performed none myself)
  • Well shouldn't you be testing and not typing, then? Its on the RandCL - gosh! Now if you could just get VMware to support consumer Optane! I'm sure Optane wins all the tests anyway.
  • PS - I find it slightly interesting that considering there has been some effort to standardize NVMe testing and all marketing collateral with benchmarks will state hw/sw used for testing that I couldn't find a single iometer script from INTL. I wish that "transparency" resulted in me being able to see one somewhere on the web to DL.
  • I created my own a while back, but it would be nice to compare (as I really don't have a clue). I shudder to think about my firewall ... its probably more like a sieve.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well shouldn't you be testing and not typing, then? Its on the RandCL - gosh! Now if you could just get VMware to support consumer Optane! I'm sure Optane wins all the tests anyway.
You know, with my expectation levels, If I were to actually test and verify all those I think I'd need to quit my day job;)

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
You know, with my expectation levels, If I were to actually test and verify all those I think I'd need to quit my day job;)
  • You should make it your day job - I'll keep my ear to the ground for INTL NVMe Bechmark Program Managers.
  • jk wrong side of the country, but I laugh every time I hear that a suburb here (Alpharetta) is the Silicon Valley of the East Coast. Hate that city, but flip the Valentine One on and the road up there is great for benchmarking your cars, specifically finding the precise drag limited top speed.
  • Unlike being chased by the police (which I imagine is exhilarating), running benchmarks does get old after a while (for me at least) if you are OCD and want to ensure they are done properly.
  • jk about speeding I've never gotten a ticket o_O

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
  • Hate that city, but flip the Valentine One on and the road up there is great for benchmarking your cars, specifically finding the precise drag limited top speed.
  • jk about speeding I've never gotten a ticket o_O
Riiiight...you have a v1 and have never gotten a ticket in the ATL area. ;) My v1 is near useless there because of all the pole mounted radar for traffic monitoring. Same in CA. Luckily in IL, they just don't care so it's the autobahn every time I'm out. :D

Reactions: svtkobra7

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Riiiight...you have a v1 and have never gotten a ticket in the ATL area. ;)
  • I was joking of course ... I have ... too many. I was looking for the best emoji to point out that I was BSing and when I hovered over it, it noted "Er ... what?" so I figured it was obvious.
  • But in all sincerity, I haven't gotten one in a LONG time (easily 5+ maybe 10 years). Likely a result of my "taste" evolving, as I much prefer to go up to the mountains and enjoy "spirited" driving in the twisties. Sure, when I was 18 and got my first sports car, it seemed fun to dump the clutch at the stop light to have fun for a few seconds, but today it seems like everything gets to 60 sub 4 seconds, narrowing the risk/reward proposition (if you will).
My v1 is near useless there because of all the pole mounted radar for traffic monitoring. Same in CA. Luckily in IL, they just don't care so it's the autobahn every time I'm out. :D
  • Sorry to hear about GA and CA. Try using it in VA, it should be especially helpful there!
  • BUT ... I have the answer for you => Check out the YaV1 app.
  • You connect it to your V1 via Bluetooth and now you are ignoring false alerts. Problem solved.
  • Also, those false alerts coming from automatic doors (shopping malls as example) = gone.
  • Unfortunately, those two issues have been replaced by false alerts from other cars as now even Hyundais (hyperbole) have parking sensors, adaptive cruise control, etc. that sets them off.
  • Since you can log EVERYTHING and overlay it using Google Maps, I suppose it would be possible to figure out what bands and precise frequencies are coming from cars vs. your friendly state trooper and if you were able to determine that you could lock those out too. I've never bothered.
  • Although I have both the SAVVY (turns down volume of alerts at a user defined speed) & V1 connection (Bluetooth) installed in both cars, I think you can use the YaV1 to obviate the need for the SAVVY. But the reason I love the app is it remembers where all the BS alerts are and locks them out.
  • Thanks for the reminder, I need to pull the serials off mine and check to see if they should be sent in for update, it has been a while since I've done that (probably a waste of money though).
Take a look ... maybe you find it helpful.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
haha, VA. :D

Thank you very much for the link and the new forum to check out! I've been active on the other radardetector forum and have 2 v1s that I run in parallel, one with modded band leds since it's next to impossible to tell the difference between K and Ka without it.

I haven't updated mine in years, but basically stopped using them since I entered IL. I've never seen such blatant lack of speed checking anywhere in the US except CA. Going 60 in a 40 is normal around here. :eek:

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
haha, VA. :D
  • Figured you may find that funny. :)
Thank you very much for the link and the new forum to check out!
  • My pleasure.
I've been active on the other radardetector forum and have 2 v1s that I run in parallel, one with modded band leds since it's next to impossible to tell the difference between K and Ka without it.
  • Interesting, I've never heard of either of these things before (apparently I'm a bit out of touch) . So you are definitely aware of that app, or similar ones, and understand how they essentially take a dumb noisy sensor and make it a power "smart" tool, right?
  • 2 V1s in parallel? Please explain. I can't imagine the benefit, but don't doubt there is one.
  • Is this similar to the LED modification that you are referring to? Initially I thought there was no way I'd ever pay nearly 20% of the cost of the unit for 7 tiny LEDs that are different in color, but the more I look at that picture, the more I'm being reeled in ... not because I want / need the differentiation, but because I've been looking at the same "face" (V1) for nearly 2 decades and the different colors are refreshing. And crap, writing that just made me realize I'm going to be horrible at the marriage thing starting soon. [EDIT = yes, I'm definitely having that service done]
I haven't updated mine in years, but basically stopped using them since I entered IL. I've never seen such blatant lack of speed checking anywhere in the US except CA. Going 60 in a 40 is normal around here. :eek:
  • Maybe blantant lack of speed checking is the wrong way to look at it ...
  • ... I'd like to think the fine police officers / troopers of IL are simply allowing citizens to "police" themselves and trust they not speed ... I'm sure it works out just fine. :rolleyes:
  • I'm not going to judge, to each their own, just don't hit me.
So if (a) connecting one of your two V1s to your phone is something that might interest you (just for kicks, comment noted about lack of use), but you want to try it out prior to spending $50, and (b) have an Android [1], I'd be happy to let you borrow one for a week or so (I have 2). Just let me know.

[1] I bought mine when you bought the V1connection, for Android or V1connection LE, for iOS, but now it appears the later works with iOS and Android and I have the former.

NB1: That was quite the blatant thread jack ... at least I tangentially tied cars to NVMe ... ;)
NB2: Now I recall why your name seems so familiar, you started that thread about how to rack a chassis, and received one of the most thorough responses I've ever seen. I'm sorry to inform you, but you were actually ill advised, you picked the wrong axis LOL:

And with that final bad joke, I'm off to dinner. Enjoy your weekend and Safe Driving!

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
So to continue our threadjack a bit aka bump this good deal to the top so more people can get in on it...:D

Running 2 RDs in parallel is actually a very old school trick--the idea that if one goes off and the other doesn't, the signal is false, but if both go off, you better be at the right speed. I originally used this between a Uniden and my brother's old Bel, and then with 1 v1 and the Uniden. And when I sent off my v1 to get modified I couldn't live without it, so I bought a second and when it came back, I retired the Uniden after I noticed when running all 3 in parallel (yes, I'm like that, lol), I did notice some instances when the 2 v1s did react differently. So then I ran the 2 v1s and still do. A LOT of noise to quickly sort through, but when you get used to it you truly know the truth.

So the LED modification is whatever you want it to be. Personally all I needed was the different bands to be dicernable at night, so those 4 (3 actually since I left one stock) were changed to amber, green, and blue. Now on one of my v1s I can instantly tell which band based on the led color as well as the sound. :)

All I can say about marriage is that be ready to fight for your toys, lol.

Haha, the officers here definitely have a lot of other more serious crimes to worry about, but it does make traffic accidents quite gruesome when they do happen. It definitely doesn't help that the drivers in the Chicago area are the most careless and reckless that I've seen in the US, so you have to be extremely careful just to stay alive and in one piece.

I actually haven't looked into any of the tethering apps because I never really cared for the machine to filter. There's still something akin to hunting that kicks in when I interpret all those signals and I have many times gone off on a hunch erroring on the side of caution and it saved me whereas another machine doing the filters for me would have maybe gotten me in trouble. It's a giant cat and mouse game to me, and I've gotten older to the point that I concentrate on staying alive more than playing the game, but once in a while I do want to get frisky--especially in the right car on a nice road. :)

Yes, that rack mounting answer was a singlehandedly awesome post by WANg. I hope it's in the Guides section of the forum now for people to find--it definitely helped me get everything set up.

Yikes on that axis! I would be afraid the rail lock would fail and my server would slide straight down and BAM! Although that setup is beautiful and is probably detailed enough that there's not going to be a flaw that could cause such a disaster. :)

Dav

Jan 20, 2016
NB2: Now I recall why your name seems so familiar, you started that thread about how to rack a chassis, and received one of the most thorough responses I've ever seen. I'm sorry to inform you, but you were actually ill advised, you picked the wrong axis LOL:

And with that final bad joke, I'm off to dinner. Enjoy your weekend and Safe Driving!

Oh sweet setup, much better that my half arsed one

Last edited:
Reactions: svtkobra7

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Oh sweet setup,
  • Thanks a lot, but they are both (a) on the wall and (b) "upside down" purposefully and out of necessity.
  • [1] I happen to live in a condo and there was no "optimal" placement whatsoever, but that closet is too shallow for horizontal rack mount (i.e. I wouldn't have been able to close the closet door), so they had to go on the wall. The next best alternative would have been in my office, so with them in the closet, where I installed Rockwool sound abatement, I don't have to deal with hearing them.
  • [2] Simply orienting in that fashion results in a 5.3C favorability in HDD temps vs. HDDs facing the ceiling. With the servers mounted facing the ceiling, fans at 100% duty can't even hold the line at 40C (@ 78-80F ambient), but there is no issue with obtaining sub-40C HDD temps with the HDDs facing the floor. If you think about it, it makes sense in that the flow of air through that closet looks like this: INTAKE @ floor => [UNDER DOOR] => CONVECTION + NEGATIVE PRESSURE => [CEILING FAN] => EXHAUST @ ceiling. So dropping a server into that system, aligns perfectly with that established movement of air: DENSEST, COOLEST AIR @ floor => HDDs => BACKPLANE FANS => CPU FANS => EXHAUST FROM CHASSIS (already headed towards the exhaust).

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
  • Thanks a lot, but they are both (a) on the wall and (b) "upside down" purposefully and out of necessity.
  • [1] I happen to live in a condo and there was no "optimal" placement whatsoever, but that closet is too shallow for horizontal rack mount (i.e. I wouldn't have been able to close the closet door), so they had to go on the wall. The next best alternative would have been in my office, so with them in the closet, where I installed Rockwool sound abatement, I don't have to deal with hearing them.
  • [2] Simply orienting in that fashion results in a 5.3C favorability in HDD temps vs. HDDs facing the ceiling. With the servers mounted facing the ceiling, fans at 100% duty can't even hold the line at 40C (@ 78-80F ambient), but there is no issue with obtaining sub-40C HDD temps with the HDDs facing the floor. If you think about it, it makes sense in that the flow of air through that closet looks like this: INTAKE @ floor => [UNDER DOOR] => CONVECTION + NEGATIVE PRESSURE => [CEILING FAN] => EXHAUST @ ceiling. So dropping a server into that system, aligns perfectly with that established movement of air: DENSEST, COOLEST AIR @ floor => HDDs => BACKPLANE FANS => CPU FANS => EXHAUST FROM CHASSIS (already headed towards the exhaust).
Very interesting to see the drastic difference in temps just from the orientation change. Makes me wonder if putting the hottest server at the bottom of a rack makes more sense than if it's on top.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Very interesting to see the drastic difference in temps just from the orientation change.
  • You are right it is rather drastic.
  • To me, it makes sense when you consider the environmental variables; however, the impact of the orientation may be "exaggerated" due to any of the following: (a) insufficient air flow = in my opinion, I'm "forcing" the system to work and suck air from under the door (while the ceiling fan is rated for 110 CFM, I doubt the static pressure is high enough to pull that, (b) high ambient temp = 78-80F, (c) small enclosure area.
Makes me wonder if putting the hottest server at the bottom of a rack makes more sense than if it's on top.
  • Bah - you put the heaviest at the bottom, eh?
  • In a normal horizontal orientation, I don't think it really matters, as you typically have a much larger enclosure for air to move about, and the server rack itself serves as a physical barrier from exhausted air being recycled, but along those lines ... here are my thoughts on the real impact ...
  • My thinking = how everything is lined up = there is no way the HDDs are pulling in "recycled" air that has already been exhausted as the lowest point on the caddies is 14" above the floor. To that point, I get lower temps at lower duty in that closet than if the chassis were in my office due to the air being quite stagnant, whereas, in the closet I'm forcing it to move.
  • I think that perhaps if they were mounted horizontally, the intake could pull in exhausted air ...
  • ... but I think that is certainly the case where the HDDs are facing the ceiling, and the chassis pushes air through it and out the bottom at the floor, that warm air is going to convect and you have the exhaust fan tugging on it, so I certainly think exhausted air gets pulled in then. Further, in my specific scenario, you are working against the airflow in the system, it would be like taking 1 server and reversing it such that it is now facing the hot aisle instead of the cool aisle.
  • Stated differently, using another analogy, it would be similar to CPU2 in the rear of a DP board, where the sockets are NOT staggered, CPU2 will likely run hotter as it is catching air that has already been warmed by the HDDs, CPU1, RAM, etc.
  • Make sense at all? Hey, even if my theory is wrong, it works!

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I think your setup most definitely works and possibly even is an example for what could actually improve data center efficiency as power and air conditioning do make up a large chunk of the ongoing expenses of such centers.

Haha, I never thought about the weight. Probably not a bad idea to keep the rack stable. :eek: