Quanta LB6M ...? Buying assistance; fast -- but as easy as possible.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
Hi - no matter how much of a novice any of you think you are in your humble prefaces... EVERYONE here appears to know so much more than I do about this subject that I'm bound to say stupid things - and I apologize.

I want to purchase one of these Quanta LB6M switches ... to be used virtually as a standalone unit. Here's my goal:

FreeNAS server ConnectX-3 - 40GbE - -- 4 cables to the Quanta LB6M (LACP)
iMac-PCIE (TB2 to PCI-e) to Dual SFP+ -- 2 cables to the Quanta LB6M (LACP)
Mac Pro PCIE to Dual SFP+ -- 2 cables to the Quanta LB6M (LACP)

Connect their internet / wifi by using an SFP --> RJ-45 Transceiver ...
Another Gig-E Laptop requiring a second SFP -- RJ-45 Transceiver

This is a video editing environment and this seems the best way to get a bunch of machines which don't have a uniform protocol available for the devices to both have high speed access to a fault tolerant repository of videos - have access to the internet, share things between them, backup at the speed of their local drive instead of the speed of the wire (125Mb/s) ... or requiring the use of proxy-media like an SSD to transfer back and forth to to share content.

I've explained that it's important that two people not READ from the FreeNAS simultaneously as the HSA can't be in two places simultaneously. I can schedule all (and only) those folders which "matter" to TimeMachine at staggered hours, avoiding a conflict of resources (we're not striping the volume yet).

CAN this device be used as a standalone device to perform the above tasks?
Is this putting a round object in a square hole?
Aside from LAG / LACP ... does this look like a highly difficult project for a TRUE novice (maybe even un-talented for the subject) to follow "recipes" to get the setup working?

Terry Wallace

PsyOps SysOp
Aug 13, 2018
Central Time Zone
I have used a LB6M for almost that exact purpose.
Just so you know the LB6M comes with 4 1gig ports on the switch already. You won't need the 2 sfp-rj45 Transceivers you mentioned.
You say connect their internet/wifi. You do understand this is a switch only for a basic case as you are describing. This would plug into your office router / firewall unit, not directly to your internet circuit. If that's unclear PM me and I'll explain in more depth.

p.s. Dont worry about everyone here knowing more. I spent 3 years reading forums here before I actually signed up an account LOL. Got my first Qunata switch about 3 years ago as a result, now have 8 LB6M's a couple of LB9s and two 3048-LY2's

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
You can't go from a ConnectX-3 - 40GbE port to 4x 10gbE connections on a 10gbE switch, they do not support breakout. It's either a single 10gbE connection, or a single proper 40gbE connection (or two, if it's a two port card).

if you want a much more capable and newer switch for the same price (and even cheaper osmetimes) check out the ICX6610 - https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/brocade-icx6450-icx6610-etc.21107/

In addition to the 10gbe ports, it also has 2x proper 40gbE ports for your FreeNAS or whatever else

Reactions: KC8FLB

Terry Wallace

PsyOps SysOp
Aug 13, 2018
Central Time Zone
Good catch..I read his "4 cables to the Quanta LB6M (LACP) " and didn't look at where it was coming from..
I was using a dual 10 myself so it was a simple lag.
Truman I'd take fohdeesha's advice, he knows what he's talking about :)

Reactions: fohdeesha

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
If that's unclear PM me and I'll explain in more depth. [/QUOTE said:
I may just do that ... and - do you have a rate that would make me feel less like I were stealing your time?

As far as my choices ....
I was hoping to get a unit that has SFP+ (which I think will automatically scale down to 1GB) ... which I have very few connections for, and those I do, I'll basically use WiFi for... and use 802.11ac for basically all of them except my printer (and my DeepSpar).

Are there any examples of SFP+ units that have 4 or more QSFP+ connections? :)

Mellanox 36x QSFP+ 56Gb/s SX6036
IBM 48x SFP+ 10Gb + 4x QSFP+ G8264 7309-HC3
Brocade 24x SFP+ 10Gb + 2x QSFP+ 80-1007294-05
Cisco 48x SFP+ 10Gb + 4x QSFP+ Dual PSU ACT3048-LB8

Are these units all very hard to set up?

Terry Wallace

PsyOps SysOp
Aug 13, 2018
Central Time Zone
By rate I hope you don't mean $/hour.. we don't do that here. :)
Of course the reply may take a bit longer to show up.
Most of the 10gig SFP+ units I have seen on the market seems to stick with about 4 QSFP ports total.
Above that it tends to move into the qfsp specific switches.

Most of these are usually pretty straight forward to setup for simple lag setups, If you move into vlan, or the routing features it can get a little more complicated. A lot of the switches in this space have probably had someone on this board work with them. And nothing beats good documentation from the manufactures site (if they offer it).

Quite frankly your going to have to have a Hell of a freenas to push those qfsp ports hard. Especially with them talking to desktop machines on the other end. I can't see needing more than 4 on a switch unless your planning for a lot of upgrades. The brocade, the IBM and the Cisco I have all worked with. The mellanox's I have heard good things about, but some of them don't speak ethernet, just infiband. You'd want some input from someone else on here more familiar with those switches.

p.s. All of these tend to be enterprise level switch we're talking about.. i.e. they tend to sound like vacuum cleaners under load. So you may want to consider noise level depending on where it's going to sit.

Reactions: TrumanHW

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
I should have clarified; I need at least SFP+ for just about all the ports.
Are SFP+ switches which have just a few QSFP+ ports as loud?
What do you think of these two switches (I'm searching for others)...

I'd rather pay extra for SFP+ to RJ-45 transceivers where needed for, etc.

I anticipate having scenarios sufficient (and in growing numbers) -- which'll exceed 2Gb/s within the next year 1-2 years, possibly increasing the price of the old telecom gear.

I've spotted decent deals on these ... is it nonsensical to ask which is 'easier' to use?

1. IBM RACK SWITCH G8264 7309-HC3
• 48-PORT 10BGE SFP+
• 4-PORT 40GBE QSFP+
• W/ DUAL POWER
Difficulty Rating: ?

2. Cisco Nexus 3064 - N3K-C3064PQ-10GX
• 48-PORT 10BGE SFP+
• 4-PORT 40GBE QSFP+
• W/ DUAL POWER
Difficulty Rating: ?

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
(I did imply "compensation" -- I felt guilty asking for professional knowledge without offering what someone deserves).

Terry Wallace

PsyOps SysOp
Aug 13, 2018
Central Time Zone
I'd go with the IBM myself, but thats a preference, there enterprise networking gear tends to run forever and get good support. I looked up that model on the imb support site. (You need to make a free IMBiD on their site) and the most recent firmware for that model was dated July 2018 so it's still getting fixes. It also has a web gui if your not comfortable on the command line. I also saw a couple of those on ebay with a some damaged port (3) if you don't need all 48 port that were ridiculosly cheap ..about $300 for a switch that was 5K new.