Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
The latest matching mibs are in the firmware zip from the update guide, just use the one that matches the image you are running (which would be the routing image)

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
2018.09.18  error MIB upload to Dell OpenManage Enterprise.png

Thank you for that post.

FYI: Error message was received trying to use ICX64R08030sa.mib file (on Dell OpenManage MIB import screen).

Please note, this is my day using Dell OpenManage Enterprise and MIB files; but it appears it is seeking 7 additional MIB Brocade files.

Lack time at present to google more at this moment.

EDIT: just now logged into Switch and looking at the Switch System Log, seems the Dell OpenManage was trying to access the Switch and have tons of "
Sep 18 09:48:47 informational SNMP: Auth. failure, intruder IP: 192.168.1.xxx " (IP of Dell OpenManage VM)

umm, is there a way to tell the Brocade to ALLOW these SNMP attempts from that all of 192.168.1.xxx range?

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Not sure why it's complaining, I had a quick look through the MIB and it makes no references to any of those so I don't know why Dell is wanting them. I don't think Dell OpenManage is very well suited to monitoring non-dell switches via SNMP, I would use something like LibreNMS

as for the snmp autherrors, did you enable snmp on the switch with a community name, and use that community name in openmanage when adding it? To quickly turn on SNMPv2 read only access:

enable
conf t
snmp-server community customcommunityname ro
write mem

Reactions: tommybackeast

lbruck

Sep 18, 2018
I apologize if this is the not the thread to use, but I have a question about the 10gb port licensing for either of the brocade switches: what is the current price? I didn't want to create a brocade account to find out, and other vendors didn't seem to list it or listed prices of >$1000, which is beyond my budget. I saw the comment at the beginning of thread about "free license upgrades" but that was so many months ago and I didn't want to rely/impose on that source. Are many of the switches available from resellers already licensed and is there a way to find out?

Thanks for any info.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
These two switches are EOL, so Brocade (now Ruckus to be exact) does not sell them. Your only bet if you wish to buy one is to find a 3rd party vendor that happens to still have some, and those would be the 1K+ prices you've seen. I still have spare licenses, I can shoot you what you need if it's for a non-commercial use

lbruck

Sep 18, 2018
Thanks for the info and the offer. Yes, this is for home/non-commercial use. Let me acquire a switch and then I'll message you to see if a license is still available.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
Not sure why it's complaining, I had a quick look through the MIB and it makes no references to any of those so I don't know why Dell is wanting them. I don't think Dell OpenManage is very well suited to monitoring non-dell switches via SNMP, I would use something like LibreNMS

>as for the snmp autherrors, did you enable snmp on the switch with a community name, and use that community name in openmanage when adding it? To quickly turn on SNMPv2 read only access:

Answer: I did not do that.

>enable
conf t
write mem
Thank you, shall run that code later today; and report back.

I am aware Dell OpenManage Enterprise is geared toward data centers running thousands of Dell enterprise products spread across different states and countries; and that my running it for my little collection of a handful of devices is "silly" - but I appreciate you like getting feedback on items you are not running yourself.
This Dell OM product is brand new to me; so simply was playing with it; SNMP is also new for me.

EDIT: the above commands were run on the 6450-24p via Putty; but Dell OM Enterprise still cannot see it. Since the Switch is not Dell branded, i suspect more information needs to be given; but will not have time to read the massive Dell PDF for many days; and frankly, my care level on this is rather low.

Last edited:

u238

Aug 11, 2018
Well, I bought a second switch. This time a 6450-48P. Hopefully this one has fan speed control. Even with buying a bad switch it's still way cheap compared to any other product.

Reactions: fohdeesha

kapone

May 23, 2015
I may have two 6610s (non POE versions) that may be available very soon, if someone's interested. It's probably going to be about a week to two weeks before they are available though (need to get them out of my colo)

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018

as for the snmp autherrors, did you enable snmp on the switch with a community name, and use that community name in openmanage when adding it? To quickly turn on SNMPv2 read only access:

enable
conf t
write mem
enable
conf t
write mem

in the 3rd line above, what does the "ro" do ?

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Well, I bought a second switch. This time a 6450-48P. Hopefully this one has fan speed control. Even with buying a bad switch it's still way cheap compared to any other product.
If you bought the bad switch from an eBay vendor within the last 30d you could always return it or request a partial refund. It's not 100% functional after all.

tony&

Sep 12, 2018
I saw this thread about two months ago and saw my potential future candidate to be the perfect match my new server build at home. When I finally saw 4 ICX6450-48 on Ebay in Europe for a good price I took it as a sign to buy. The switch arrived yesterday and as I currently don't have a RJ45 serial adapter I have to wait for my configuration a while. Hopefully blower speed (noise) will settle down after I've configured the switch..

Z3R0

Sep 5, 2018
Florida, USA
Many thanks to fosheeda for the wonderful documentation and files linked in the first post, as well as the licensing. Everything was laid out easily enough for a CLIT n00b like myself to easily follow. Hopefully I'll get around one day to be able to easily navigate a CLIT. I've already seen the wonderful benefits of pfSense and FreeBSD (and have run a few basic servers using such).

To the engineering masters that I've seen in the posts across the 32 pages here, has there been anything found yet on how to reduce the noise of the SanAce40 fans in the Rev A PSUs? The wife isn't too happy with the noise from these and I notice that the regular case fans stay pretty quiet. I'm comfortable enough getting inside the case to replace these fans if there's something out there that works.

Additionally, has anybody else had any issues with Mellanox ConnectX-2 VPI cards on IPoIB to connect to these switches? I've got 2 computers (Windows 10 & Server 2008 R2) with these cards and I can directly connect the computers with no issues, provided I set static IP, but I can't seem to connect to the switch either through static IP or DHCP. For both ports (1/2/1 & 1/2/6) I see status as Down. Both cables are known good Dell 04TC09.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Do you have both psu's plugged in? With the Rev A's, they don't spin down after boot to idle unless both power supplies are plugged in and powered. Once they are and it fully boots, its the same sound level as all the other revisions. Does yours get much quieter after it finishes booting?

Nothing can be done about the fans in the 6610, trust me

Also, IPoIB is IP over Infiniband. the ICX is not an infiniband switch, it's native ethernet. If they're VPI cards, they should be able to be switched into plain normal ethernet mode

Reactions: Z3R0

Z3R0

Sep 5, 2018
Florida, USA
Both PSU's are plugged in, and the fans are very noticeably spun down after POST completes (with some ear ringing leftover from about a meter away). It's still loud enough to bug the missus. I guess I'll work on building a bit of a sound-deadening box. Its just open-air on my computer shelving.

Son of a gun. Looks like I forgot to RTFM.

tony&

Sep 12, 2018
In my ICX6450 my fan was rather noisy (way louder than my R710 actually). In wait for a new fan I opened the chassis and installed a left over "low noise adapter" from an old Noctua chassis fan, noise went down remarkable and temp (Celsius - idle) is 40.5 (B) and 50 (A).

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
They should spin WAY down after boot. Once it boots the OS it should start putting out only 4.5v on the fan header, that low of voltage into a low noise adapter and the fans wouldn't even start. That tells me it's still sending your fans the full 12v and not spinning them down properly - the low noise adapter shouldn't be necessary

Can you verify the switch is fully booting? I know you don't have a console cable yet, but it sounds like it's stuck in the bootloader