Dell PowerEdge C8220 Build and Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
what I see on the picture is: "Resource Unassined"
View attachment 8588
Check page#8 and page#10 here about edge slot and video enumerator. May be there you will find your answers.
Thank you for your message. After reading pages 8, 9, 10 and making a few dozen experiments I was convinced - the far slot under the riser with a flexible cable just does not work as it should. Firmware update did not help. There are only two slots around the power button, they start GT 610 and Tesla K20 normally.
To install Tesla on a corner riser, I need to use lower cooling radiators. Or buy two quality flexible risers. Then I will be able to install 2 Tesla K20, for the maximum performance of the CUDA calculations.

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Today I was trying to find fan control contacts in the connector PDB of 0083N0 board from C6220 II. But instead, I found the GND pin first, and the pinned pin included power to the board and turning off, if you put this very GND through the button on it. Tested and working, you can now make a convenient power button without creeping up a small one on the end of the board or the IPMI console. The picture is attached.

Reactions: arturmon

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Today I installed on the radiators of chipsets of my board C6220 And cooling fans. I did not like the way they were heated, but the ribs were small. First I wanted to paste them, but I did not find the right glue. I did not want to glue forever. And I decided to fix them with wire staples.

arturmon

Feb 18, 2018
Hello! but met such a problem that motherboard itself is included? At me if it is standard in windows to switch off pc, through various time interval it can itself be included. how is this possible? :eek::mad::D

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Check if the PS_ON signal is properly connected to your power supply, check the BIOS settings of the board. This is the server board, it has a "watchdog" system that must include the board itself in case of a power failure. And look at the options of the IPMI BMC, there too it can be - automatically turn on the power.
I have a fee if I switch off via the control OS - it turns off by itself, and if the power went out or the power supply was turned off with the button - it also starts itself.

igoresz

Dec 16, 2017
Moscow
Regarding E5-46xx processors ( E5-4620, E5-4640, E5-4650, E5-4650L...).
They work also with C8220.
У меня появилась еще одна свободная плата с шлейфом, процами, памятью, контроллерами, мини-крепежами, все 6(2+4) дисков работают. Если кому-то надо, ищитe в авито по тексту: Dell Server System Board Dual LGA 2011. Не торгую магазином, просто иногда что-то перепадает с работы, что-то заказываю для своей homelab, могу переслать через боксберри.

Last edited:

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
https://i.imgur.com/huLkJoe.jpg
I bought a disk m.2 SSD Samsung 960 EVO 250 Gb with an adapter today.
The server can not use it to boot. As a disk, it does not appear. Ubuntu server does not see it when installing it, it was not possible to place the swap partition on it. Seyyaas I try to make ubuntu-desktop on usual ssd and on this disk m.2 to make section of pumping. It has a large write resource, so it will work for a long time, and it's much faster than SATA drives.

Yakov

May 31, 2018
https://i.imgur.com/huLkJoe.jpg
I bought a disk m.2 SSD Samsung 960 EVO 250 Gb with an adapter today.
The server can not use it to boot. As a disk, it does not appear. Ubuntu server does not see it when installing it, it was not possible to place the swap partition on it. Seyyaas I try to make ubuntu-desktop on usual ssd and on this disk m.2 to make section of pumping. It has a large write resource, so it will work for a long time, and it's much faster than SATA drives.
You should use special loaders. Create a usb drive with chameleon loader and use it to boot

Reactions: igoresz

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Good news for all owners C6220 II and C8220 with a front slot for GPGPUwhich has a flexible cable with a riser. Vidleokarty there do not work, but I earned an adapter PCI-E 4x to m.2 ssd. Probably there will be earned and other PCI-E 1x-4x cards.

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Good afternoon. Who knows why the power button may start flashing orange? The system turns on and boots.

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Good day to all the owners of servers who are still engaged in them and not sold / not thrown this iron. I will share my successes and failures. I apologize for the quality of the photo - photo, "photographed on a pack of cigarettes," as we here joke wits.
The biggest success - I was able to get 3 expansion slots on my server for the C6220 II server, both near the power button and the far one for the graphics processor called the Edge Slot.

As you can see in the slots pts-e 16h I have Tesla K20 + M2 SSD on the adapter. And on the riser for GP GPU I have GT 610. cable - additional power of risers and boards. Everything is determined, the slots in the BIOS are shown as being used and running when the operating system is loaded and the drivers are installed.
In order for all this to work, you need two components - additional power for risers and a board and the correct configuration of the BIOS server.

Entering the BIOS, you must go to the marked line in the photo and enter the menu where you can not put all the items in the position, otherwise your slots will not work, so it was like on the second photo.

After that, you will see the line PCI Slot Configuration - where the slots of your server are indicated. Next, we put the cards you need through the adapters and use it.
But there is one more thing - the server uses proprietary risers with additional power, if you include more than one card in the server through risers without additional power - there may be problems, defenses will most likely work and you will long to understand why everything does not work. Or in the worst case, something will burn from overload. It is better not to take chances.

Reactions: igoresz and Tha_14

torny

Aug 8, 2018
Hi guys,
Does anyone know how to connect power distribution board to power outside rack and without power management board?
I want to startup 0WP80K sled.

PDB on following picture:

Attachments

igoresz

Dec 16, 2017
Moscow
Hi guys,
Does anyone know how to connect power distribution board to power outside rack and without power management board?
I want to startup 0WP80K sled.

PDB on following picture:
Hey there. Why do you need it? To control cpu fans?
I use the direct power supply adapter-cable from casual ATX PSU.
And I don't use this -->1.JPG
To regulate cpu fans first time I used some thermal sensors (about 2-5USD, powering from molex, equipped with beeper/sensor/2or3*4pins out). But now, I don't use any sensors, i use LOW work-mode of this:
[ PC IDE Molex 1 To 8 Way Splitter Cooling Fan Hub 3-Pin 12V Power Socket Adapter ]

Last edited:

torny

Aug 8, 2018
Hey there. Why do you need it? To control fans?
I use the direct power supply adapter-cable from casual ATX PSU.
And I don't use this -->View attachment 9305
To regulate cpu fans first time I used some thermal sensors (about 2-5USD, powering from molex, equipped with beeper/sensor/2or3*4pins out). But now, I don't use any sensors, i use LOW work-mode of this:
[ PC IDE Molex 1 To 8 Way Splitter Cooling Fan Hub 3-Pin 12V Power Socket Adapter ]
I just have this sled with PDB and sata panel.
I thought to use PDB because I have it. And I do not have ATX PSU => mini 18 pin molex adapter.
If power PDB separately is not so easy, then I will buy adapter to connect ATX PSU.

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
If power PDB separately is not so easy, then I will buy adapter to connect ATX PSU.
You save a lot of time doing this. Alternatively, if you have molex tools / removers you can rewire existing connector for the PDB into the 24 pin extender.
Otherwise, stable connection is impossible. Board will consume up to 500w through these wires, bad thing might happen if contact is not good enough.