Toshiba 14TB and Adaptect HW RAID

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mikhail

Feb 15, 2017
Just got 8x14TB of drives, but I'm getting some weird error when trying to add them to my array:

The specified free space does not exist.

This is kinda weird because the Adaptect utility choose the filesize (see attached screen shots). Similar nonsense with RAID6 or other options.

Anybody willing to speculate at the problem? Is there some compatibility issue I'm not aware of?

Attachments

Last edited:

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Can you keep reducing the number of drives in the array until it creates successfully? What's the minimum # of drives to break it?

Mikhail

Feb 15, 2017
Can you keep reducing the number of drives in the array until it creates successfully? What's the minimum # of drives to break it?
Okay gave it a shot. Can't seem to make any drive. Tried to make a single "simple volume" out of one of the drives, same error. Tried to make a 4 TB simple volume, same error.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Did you initialize the drives before trying to add them to a logical volume?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Anybody willing to speculate at the problem? Is there some compatibility issue I'm not aware of?
I don't see where you mentioned the controller model, but the first thing I would do is make sure the firmware was up-to-date, then do the same thing with the Windows manager utility. If you still can't create the volume using the Windows utility, I'd suggest trying it during boot, in the controller BIOS menus (if the card supports that).

Mikhail

Feb 15, 2017
The issue somehow fixed itself after a few reboots, and I was able to create the array without this wacky error.

In between reboots I also forced online one of my other volumes.

Last edited: