new epyc proxmox build with samba4 dc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zedicus

Jul 12, 2018
new here but not a n00b.

so my current proxmox build was an AIO server and is very old. it was starting to have some issues so i am going to re-purpose that chassis with its 16 bays as a SAN only and port my proxmox VM infrastructure to my new EPYC build.

new server (quite small compared to some of you guys, i like to think of this as budget friendly.)
suprmicro board and 1u chassis, 4x sata hotswap bays
7351p Epyc cpu
4x intel 400gb s3700 zfs z1 array for VM OSs.
1x 1tb ssd for isos and vm backups
1x 256gb toshiba nvme drive for proxmox install.
64gb ecc reg ram 2400MT
10gb dual port fiber nic that will connect the VMs to the network on 1 port, and 1 port for iSCSI
2x onboard 1gb ports, 1 port to manage proxmox 1 port to direct connect the samba4 Domain Controller to the network (this config has proven more reliable for me instead of having the DC VM go through the VM switch.)

the storage chassis is a chenbro RM41416 with a dual opteron board and a pair of perc h330 configured has HBA devices (scotch tape trick done as they do not really like the old opteron board that is hosting them) my storage consists of a 16tb vdev for storage and a 16tb vdev that is just a data clone every night for a backup. (clone done via local RSYNC)

the virtualized domain controller is debian with samba 4 installed in DC mode and is managed with RSAT installed on a windows VM. the RSAT package makes it look like i am managing a windows based domain controller. pretty slick really.

my home users have group policy mapped drives, a single sign on no matter whos computer they grab, wireless networking, and a fairly standard set of enterprise features that they utilize every day and that they are use to having at school or work, so why should home appear any different?

the network is all ubiquity gear. (it is very low cost and can be customized to do enterprise features)

pic of new 1u epyc server.
IMG_20180813_092603.jpg

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
NUMA nodes or AVX512 (not so much a silver question though, then you would want gold 6xxx) if that’s not a problem then AMD is nice.

Can’t really see why either has much of an advantage over the other at that point in the market.
(Over 16 cores and windows for example then there is other consideration in the calculation)

Caleb

Nov 16, 2015
NUMA nodes or AVX512 (not so much a silver question though, then you would want gold 6xxx) if that’s not a problem then AMD is nice.

Can’t really see why either has much of an advantage over the other at that point in the market.
(Over 16 cores and windows for example then there is other consideration in the calculation)
I do not follow what you are stating... Xeon Silver does not provide NUMA?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I do not follow what you are stating... Xeon Silver does not provide NUMA?
The Xeon Silver is a single NUMA node, the EPYC is 4 NUMA nodes (effectively 4 x quad cores glued together on same chip)

So if your workload is not NUMA aware on EPYC performance will suffer, bigger VM’s over 4 cores will execute each cycle across nodes etc.

Intel will procide a nice consistent performance, AMD entity depends on workload.

Reactions: Caleb

Zedicus

Jul 12, 2018
proxmox is numa aware and i have no VM with more than 4 cores. from a cost standpoint there was no comparison, it was EPYC all the way. if you did not notice COST is a huge consideration in my environment. at some point in the future i will need to upgrade amount of RAM. but for now i have enough space to host my environment and still have a few testing VMs. i just built a OSX VM to see how it performed.