AMD EPYC 3251 8 core 16 Thread SoC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
There are two AMD NICs there! I wonder what 10G PHY chip they're using...
Also a FirePro W2100.

Yummy.

Oooh. Can that amd-xgbe device do SR-IOV??
Never heared about SR-IOV being supported by the Ryzen SoC builtin NIC. If it was an included feature, chances are that AMD would have announced it. Although, to be fair, at first we didn't even knew that AMD had the builtin 10G NICs on the first place...
And yes, I would love to see SR-IOV in everything. SATA and USB Controllers with a per-Port passthrough granularity, with host support to reset Virtual Functions always to a normalized state regardless of what happened in the VM (BSODs, freezes, ungraceful shutdowns, or anything else that can leave a PCI Device in an undefined state, may cause problems to restart the VM without rebooting the host first). Heck, There was an USB version of SR-IOV, XHCI-IOV. I wonder what happened with it...

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Never heared about SR-IOV being supported by the Ryzen SoC builtin NIC. If it was an included feature, chances are that AMD would have announced it. Although, to be fair, at first we didn't even knew that AMD had the builtin 10G NICs on the first place...
Don't think there's any sign of SR-IOV support in the amd-xgbe driver source sadly...

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Well, there goes my enthusiasm for it. That was a major bone to pick with Intel for the initial Xeon-D 1500s, which was the lack of SRIOV on the embedded Intel ixgbe devices.

What's next? No PCIe ACS support for IOMMU segregation on the machine?

@Patrick can you do

Code:
lspci -vvv | grep ACSCtl
on that machine and post the results?

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick can you do

Code:
lspci -vvv | grep ACSCtl
on that machine and post the results?
Here you go

Code:
epyc3251:~$ sudo lspci -vvv | grep ACSCtl
                ACSCtl: SrcValid+ TransBlk- ReqRedir+ CmpltRedir+ UpstreamFwd+ EgressCtrl- DirectTrans-
                ACSCtl: SrcValid+ TransBlk- ReqRedir- CmpltRedir- UpstreamFwd- EgressCtrl- DirectTrans-
                ACSCtl: SrcValid+ TransBlk- ReqRedir- CmpltRedir- UpstreamFwd- EgressCtrl- DirectTrans-
                ACSCtl: SrcValid- TransBlk- ReqRedir- CmpltRedir- UpstreamFwd- EgressCtrl- DirectTrans-
                ACSCtl: SrcValid- TransBlk- ReqRedir- CmpltRedir- UpstreamFwd- EgressCtrl- DirectTrans-

Reactions: eva2000

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Thanks @Patrick. Oh good, looks like PCIe Access Control System is present, so SRIOV operations should work just fine. Now I wonder if the built-in amd-xgbe can do SRIOV - so far the stuff I've seen on the Linux source tree does not look encouraging.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
New system arrived today. As a result, the new ETA is Monday. I had to request a few BIOS features get implemented, hence the new system.

Very sorry about this, but upon reviewing everything, I wanted to properly vet our results before publishing.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I would like to get a board with a SOC CPU, 4 memory slots, IPMI, dual 10G sfp+ ports, 2 PCIE slots to setup as home production vm server. I would put ESXI on the bare metal, get one 12G LSI HBA card and an optane AIC card, and 128 GB Ram. I would then run all my prod VM. FreeNas(lsi card, 64GB Ram and Optane), Sophos UTM, WS 2012R2 and backup, voip, etc.. The price would need to be way lower then current intel boards. IE it shouldn't cost 2500 for a board/soc only. Then I can retire one of my dual e5-26xx servers and save on electricity.

Reactions: Aquatechie

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
OK. Does anyone have any dirt on anyone at Supermicro so we can blackmail them into making a few Epyc 3000 boards?

Heck, pair the dev board used in the review with IPMI and the extra mem slots and it'd already be a very compelling product.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
OK. Does anyone have any dirt on anyone at Supermicro so we can blackmail them into making a few Epyc 3000 boards?

Heck, pair the dev board used in the review with IPMI and the extra mem slots and it'd already be a very compelling product.
Haha, if not supermicro maybe ASRock rack or Tyan or somebody else... doesn’t seem too likely in any kind of hurry it seems.
Certianly would be nice though given the price I assume they would sell at.