Building the Improbable Hyper-Converged NAS with the Silverstone CS01-HS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Curious to see freenas SMB transfer speeds of of it =)

I built mine on the Xeon-D 1541, but even with multi-channel for SMB enabled, can't crank more than 250MB/sec for a single transfer to windows 10.

Robert Fontaine

Jan 9, 2018
It was all good till I checked out the price of the retail price of the motherboard. Whoosh!

On a more (im)practical note an 80 Gold or higher PSU would likely end up quieter with less heat coming off of it. If you are going to make the ultimate m-itx hyperconverged platinum plated mac mini it may as well be quiet.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Jeggs101 it still happens sometimes. Maybe I should do an annual VMworld home lab build.

@acquacow the SMB are about what you would expect with that many spinners or from the SSD volume. High variability based on how it is set up.

@Robert Fontaine the board is expensive, but it is less than the RAM and drives. There are certainly ways to save here, especially moving to a lower-end SKU.

The PSU would not have helped make it quieter. The PSU we are using can handle the sub 100W power draw without requiring fan spin up so the PSU is silent. SFX is limiting in terms of what you can use. Moving to Gold in a machine that typically pulls 50W is a low single-digit wattage difference.

@Marsh, that was the original plan. I could not find a mITX older-gen board with enough SATA ports except the ASRock Rack board.

Reactions: T_Minus

Robert Fontaine

Jan 9, 2018
@Patrick... Thanks for the facts on the PSU. I had not realized the difference between Bronze and Gold was that small... I went with a Silverstone FX350-G 80Plus Gold (Flex ATX) for my 1u builds and there is a price premium. My assumption was that I would produce less heat in the enclosure which would equate to a measurable reduction in the cooling requirement. I clearly need to spend more time reading about power supplies. Another assumption I made which may be faulty is that the PSU will actually run well drawing at a low percentage of its rated capacity.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Another assumption I made which may be faulty is that the PSU will actually run well drawing at a low percentage of its rated capacity.
Faulty indeed;)
Pre Platinum (iirc) anything lower than 20% nominal is not even measured. Newer models start at 10% but usually are below best rated values which is commonly reached around 50% usage.

A 200W bronze model can be more efficient than a 800W gold model if you are only using 100Ws...

Its quite annoying since there are relatively few high rated low power PSUs available (no Titanium, few Platinum <500W, few Gold <350W)

Reactions: Robert Fontaine

Hadrien

Jun 18, 2014
@Patrick in the article you list that those are 4TB Seagate SSDs. They look like hard drives to be based on the pic.

Are you using these units?
https://www.seagate.com/www-content...a-new/files/barracuda-2-5-ds1907-1-1609us.pdf

If they are SSDs, can you post the part number? I would love to build something like this for work as an all in one Veeam backup target. I used the 5TB version of the Seagate spinners in a Supermicro direct attach chassis with ZFS and had nothing but issues with those drives timing out and then dropping out of the array under load.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I saw that. We had that extra "SSD" even though the line was labeled "Hard drives" and we talk about them being hard drives later in the article Swapped the "SS" for "HD" to clarify.

Hadrien

Jun 18, 2014
I saw that. We had that extra "SSD" even though the line was labeled "Hard drives" and we talk about them being hard drives later in the article Swapped the "SS" for "HD" to clarify.
@Patrick I apologize for missing it in the article. I was hoping there was a unicorn magic 4TB SSD part number that I missed out on somehow.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I am surprised and impressed the lack of need for a cpu cooling fan in that config. Cool build for sure !

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
My colleague built one after I sent this. He did not like the case fan so put a 4pin cooler master and loves it. It's only 8c though

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Curious to see freenas SMB transfer speeds of of it =)

I built mine on the Xeon-D 1541, but even with multi-channel for SMB enabled, can't crank more than 250MB/sec for a single transfer to windows 10.
I take this back. Something must have been up with the config and/or my intel nics not liking direct-connect.

I popped in a netgear 10gig switch and reset my freenas config and now I can push 1GB/sec no issue. CPU usage on freenas is down significantly as well.