Cool new mining case And motherboard for my P106-100 GTX 1060 gpu's UPDATE: Its assembled!! Finally!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Finally got the new ram in today.

Installed it, then grabbed an unused power supply and plugged everything in and hit the power button.

Then nothing for a couple of seconds then it powered up then reset itself then powered back up and beeped twice!!

A couple of seconds later I had video, did the ol control-alt-delete and held the delete button down and was able to enter the bios.

I wont have a chance until this weekend to do anything with it but after about two and a half weeks waiting on the ram, Lunar new year in China shuts everything down, I was so ready to see if it works.

Happy camper right now.

First thing it is VERY picky on the ram.

This works.

Temporary power supply, just to see if it boots. I already have the EVGA cables for the EVGA 1000 w Platinum power supply i'm usuing but its in the older mining case.

It's alive!!

Reactions: onsit and leebo_28

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Finally was able to assemble it this morning.

VERY clean setup.

I added a third usb connection to the case in a handy pre-made hole meant for something else. Now I can have a keyboard, usb flash or dvd drive and a mouse for os install.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Booting off a Ubuntu 16.04.3 live disk now, just to give it a try.

Edit: Seems to run ok, so i'll go ahead and install to the msata drive.

I just want to get it running and use this install to use just for testing.

Edit2: This thing is LOUD. LOL
Fan control will have to be a priority no matter what os I end up using.
I do have some of those fan speed reducers that go between the fan header and the fan connector, all it is is just a resister.

Well the inline fan speed reducers did not work, all they did was get hot. I do have some quieter fans so after I get it up and mining i'll see if it runs really cool as is and if it does i'll swap out to the quieter fans.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
First power usage report: Rebooted after a fresh install and sitting at the login prompt. 85.5 watts, more than I was hoping but probably 3/4 of that is just the damn fans. LOL

EDIT1: I'm installing updates and its at 151 watts, but when it turns the screen off after 5 minutes it goes down to 30 watts. Move the mouse to turn the screen back on and its still updating and back up to 151 watts. I just cant see a 2 core celeron cpu with an integral igpu with the TDP at 10 watts and the igpu using 120 watts. LOL not sure whats going.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
The desktop is more responsive with a full Ubuntu install than I was expecting.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I cant get over-clocking or gpu fan speed control working in Ubuntu, I can mine with all cards but without being able to adjust the gpu's it mines about 800 H/s less than Windows 10.......urrrr

Reaching for the windows disk......

Last edited:

Titan

Jan 14, 2018
lol as I guess. The fans are very loud. do they have 4 wires or 2 wires?

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Windows 10 pro installed , fans are still loud.

Mining turtle:

Afterburner settings:

Core voltage: +20
Power Level: %110
Temp Level : 88c
Core Clock: +175
Mem Clock: + 810

3006 H/s
460.5 watts at the wall.
Gpu temps 46-54c
Fans VERY loud

Test 2

Only change is:

Core Clock: -400

2860 H/s
435.0 watts at the wall.

Thoughts, of the three p106 gpu's there are three that always hash 75-100 H/s slower than the other three even in the older setup and in individual testing.

This new mining setup for some reason I can not get the hash rate quite as high as the older Biostar motherboard and risers even tho I can run higher core clocks and higher mem clocks.

The power use is about 50-60 watts lower at about the same settings compared to the G1840 Celeron and B85 motherboard combo.

The fans are too damn loud so need to investigate ways to deal with it, they are two wire fans so I would need to try to lower the voltage to them or replace them.

I installed FanSpeed and it detects the pwm chips so If I get some pwm fans I should be able to adjust them, but I just might dig up a couple of potentiometers in my pile-o-parts and make my own fan speed control.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I just looked at the kill-o-watt meter and with it idling it shows 3.5 watts. Wow lol

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I guess this answers the question "Can the J1800 run Windows 10?"

Mining and 440 watts at the wall.

spfoo

May 23, 2017
That's bad, you cant control the fan speed.
It's really trivial to put a manual speed controller on the ground cable. Cost is minimal. I've used those when I was modding PCs into wooden boxes. Tuning the speed just by the noise works pretty well. The airflow at nice noise levels is still very good. Sure if there are big changes in the room temperature it gets more complicated.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Update:

Afterburner settings:

Core volt %0
Power limit %60
Temp limit 65c
Core clock -200
Mem clock +800
Fans %70

Cards vary in temperature from 45 - 51c
3277 H/s
433 watts at the wall.

This setup seems to respond better to less aggressive settings.

Now i'm about the same hash rate, just a little lower maybe 50h/s, but almost 100 watts less.

Fan update: Yes they are still loud.

Hackeron

Aug 18, 2018
I bought this rig also, but I'm having a couple of issues. When I put 2 AMD RX580 cards close to one another, temperatures immediately jump to 83c - it seems there is not enough clearance for the card to keep cool :( - I currently have these fans installed, but they don't seem to be able to keep it cool: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NTUJN4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I only have 3 cards so far, I thought ok, no problem I'll space them out like this: Dropbox - IMG_9488.jpg

However, then 1 of the cards is not picked up by the OS :( - I tried both Windows 10 (third card just isn't visible) and Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04, it hangs for a few minutes during boot, then boots but anything OpenCL freezes.

Did you have anything similar? Any solution to that? - also did you come up with any solution to keep noise level under control?

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I bought this rig also, but I'm having a couple of issues. When I put 2 AMD RX580 cards close to one another, temperatures immediately jump to 83c - it seems there is not enough clearance for the card to keep cool :( - I currently have these fans installed, but they don't seem to be able to keep it cool: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NTUJN4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I only have 3 cards so far, I thought ok, no problem I'll space them out like this: Dropbox - IMG_9488.jpg

However, then 1 of the cards is not picked up by the OS :( - I tried both Windows 10 (third card just isn't visible) and Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04, it hangs for a few minutes during boot, then boots but anything OpenCL freezes.

Did you have anything similar? Any solution to that? - also did you come up with any solution to keep noise level under control?

Have you modded the bios? I find that really helps with the power usage and lowering the temps in both Windows 10 and Linux.

I have only run the p100-106 gtx 1060 cards in that case, they use about 60-70 watts each and run about 50-60c according to Windows 10 and Afterburner depending on ambient temp and the fan speed I set, the temps were a little higher since it was the beginning of summer.

The fans I have in the case came with the case, 3500 rpm fans that are LOUD and are much louder than the open compute servers running %100 on a hot day. But they do move alot of air.

From what I have seen this motherboard has issues with video cards that draw alot of power, 1070's and above and probably RX580's also.

In my main pc I ran two RX580's unmodded and they ran HOT. I modded the bios using a couple of guides on you tube, lowered the gpu speed to 1190 mhz and raised the memory speed to 2050 mhz and lowered the power a bit and they dropped alot , from over 80 to 65-70 ish. Also the modded bios lowerd the power usage from 140 ish to 90 ish. Also I modded the fan profile a bit.

I have a mining case that I ran six RX 580's, Powercolor Red Devils that are 2 1/2 slot cards and they run about 60c with the fans at 75% most of the times, yes they have modded bios also.

With RX580's used to mine you have to mod them to get the best performance.

And I find that RX 570's have about 95% of the performance of the RX580's and use about 10% less power and run about 10c cooler in my main pc.

Last edited:

Hackeron

Aug 18, 2018
Have you modded the bios? I find that really helps with the power usage and lowering the temps in both Windows 10 and Linux.

I have only run the p100-106 gtx 1060 cards in that case, they use about 60-70 watts each and run about 50-60c according to Windows 10 and Afterburner depending on ambient temp and the fan speed I set, the temps were a little higher since it was the beginning of summer.

The fans I have in the case came with the case, 3500 rpm fans that are LOUD and are much louder than the open compute servers running %100 on a hot day. But they do move alot of air.

From what I have seen this motherboard has issues with video cards that draw alot of power, 1070's and above and probably RX580's also.

In my main pc I ran two RX580's unmodded and they ran HOT. I modded the bios using a couple of guides on you tube, lowered the gpu speed to 1190 mhz and raised the memory speed to 2050 mhz and lowered the power a bit and they dropped alot , from over 80 to 65-70 ish. Also the modded bios lowerd the power usage from 140 ish to 90 ish. Also I modded the fan profile a bit.

I have a mining case that I ran six RX 580's, Powercolor Red Devils that are 2 1/2 slot cards and they run about 60c with the fans at 75% most of the times, yes they have modded bios also.

With RX580's used to mine you have to mod them to get the best performance.

And I find that RX 570's have about 95% of the performance of the RX580's and use about 10% less power and run about 10c cooler in my main pc.
Do you mean modding the motherboard or the GPU bios? - For the GPU, I followed this guide

I have 2 identical cards in the D1900 now spaced out, one with a modded bios and one with stock, it seems there is no effect on temperature?

Modded: 27.8 Mh/s - 76c - 154W - 1406 RPM
Unmodded: 25.7 MH/s - 76c - 154W - 1375 RPM

For me noise is a key concern, so I accept that maybe I will have a to run a total of 3 cards on the board, but my problem is when I space the cards out, the 3rd card won't work :( - I have to put at least 2 cards right next to each other for them to work, but then temperatures spike. Any thoughts?

I created a post with full specs and details here: Onda D1800 BTC - issue when spacing 3 GPUs out

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Do you mean modding the motherboard or the GPU bios? - For the GPU, I followed this guide

I have 2 identical cards in the D1900 now spaced out, one with a modded bios and one with stock, it seems there is no effect on temperature?

Modded: 27.8 Mh/s - 76c - 154W - 1406 RPM
Unmodded: 25.7 MH/s - 76c - 154W - 1375 RPM

For me noise is a key concern, so I accept that maybe I will have a to run a total of 3 cards on the board, but my problem is when I space the cards out, the 3rd card won't work :( - I have to put at least 2 cards right next to each other for them to work, but then temperatures spike. Any thoughts?

I created a post with full specs and details here: Onda D1800 BTC - issue when spacing 3 GPUs out

154 watts each is WAY too much.

Did you lower the power settings when you modded it?

In polaris editor there is a tab to lower the power profile, its been many months since I messed with this.

Ok I found my notes for cryptonight based algos :

This is on a Powercolor Rx 580 Red Devil 8 gb and I do not remember what tabs in Polaris Bios Editor these entries are.

They should be starting from the first tab to the next tab in order.

Straps: 1625 up
GPU max: 1390
GPU default: 1190
Mem max: 2250
Mem default: 2175
Max Power limit: 160
Small Power Limit: 160
Max Temp: 80
Shutdown Temp: 90
TDP: 135w
TDC: 132
Max Temp: 75
Medium Temp: 50
Minimum Temp: 40
Max PWM: 100
Medium PWM: 75
Minimum PWM: 50
High Temp: 57 ****may not be High Temp, my hand writing is not the best LOL****
High PWM : 80
Target Temp: 65
VDDC1 volt: 900 mv
VDDC volt: -25 mv

That gave me 86.3 watts at the wall per gpu.

These settings are not on the razors edge as far as modding. And it gave me room to tweak some more using Afterburner.

These may not be the best settings for your gpu's, but it will give you an idea where to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: leebo_28

Hackeron

Aug 18, 2018
154 watts each is WAY too much.

Did you lower the power settings when you modded it?

In polaris editor there is a tab to lower the power profile, its been many months since I messed with this.

Ok I found my notes for cryptonight based algos :

This is on a Powercolor Rx 580 Red Devil 8 gb and I do not remember what tabs in Polaris Bios Editor these entries are.

They should be starting from the first tab to the next tab in order.

Straps: 1625 up
GPU max: 1390
GPU default: 1190
Mem max: 2250
Mem default: 2175
Max Power limit: 160
Small Power Limit: 160
Max Temp: 80
Shutdown Temp: 90
TDP: 135w
TDC: 132
Max Temp: 75
Medium Temp: 50
Minimum Temp: 40
Max PWM: 100
Medium PWM: 75
Minimum PWM: 50
High Temp: 57 ****may not be High Temp, my hand writing is not the best LOL****
High PWM : 80
Target Temp: 65
VDDC1 volt: 900 mv
VDDC volt: -25 mv

That gave me 86.3 watts at the wall per gpu.

These settings are not on the razors edge as far as modding. And it gave me room to tweak some more using Afterburner.

These may not be the best settings for your gpu's, but it will give you an idea where to start.
Hmm, I'm running on Linux, I found this command but I'm not sure what to set for MINER_CORE, MINER_MEMORY and MINER_OCVDDC -- any ideas?

sudo /root/utils/oc_dpm.sh "$MINER_CORE" "$MINER_MEMORY" "$MINER_OCVDDC"

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Hmm, I'm running on Linux, I found this command but I'm not sure what to set for MINER_CORE, MINER_MEMORY and MINER_OCVDDC -- any ideas?

sudo /root/utils/oc_dpm.sh "$MINER_CORE" "$MINER_MEMORY" "$MINER_OCVDDC"

I do not use any special commands in linux.

I mod in Windows then run in linux so no need to configure anything at all.

Just make sure you boot in legacy mode not UEFI.