500 trillion int4 tops and 10 grand the new RTX 8000 from Nvidia

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
when you don’t have any real competition (I think Nvidia and CUDA are not matched by anything) you get impressive hardware but at ridiculous prices. Buy a nice used car or a new professional GPU... the next Pixar movie should be amazing though.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13214/nvidia-reveals-next-gen-turing-gpu-architecture

Next flagship quadro card among others were announced. The Quadro RTX 8000 had 48GB of GDDR6, 4608 CUDA cores, 576 tensor cores, can do 500 trillion “tops” at int4 precision etc etc.

Reactions: Venturi and vv111y

ideabox

Dec 11, 2016
Only NVIDIA can make there 10K GPU obsolete in 8 Months and get away with it.

They do it way too often for my liking, Unfortunately i still pay :/ but the space is prime for Competition. Looking forward to Graphcore or similar to come to life and give them a kick in the bum.

Jim Dowling

Aug 14, 2017
The Vega 20 will be the really interesting card that comes out this year. They are already catching up with ROCm as a viable competitor to cuda. They have it working with the latest version of TensorFlow (1.8, i think - but they catch up quick) - they plan to try and get it merged to core, would be great if they could.
The real question is what the Vega 20 will retail for?

Reactions: gigatexal

Jim Dowling

Aug 14, 2017
That STH AMD article felt like one friend telling another to get their crap together. They are doing it. All we need is great tensorflow support and Vega20 will be huge. It is getting there. Their use of code generating compilers is really promising.

Reactions: gigatexal

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
when you don’t have any real competition (I think Nvidia and CUDA are not matched by anything) you get impressive hardware but at ridiculous prices. Buy a nice used car or a new professional GPU... the next Pixar movie should be amazing though.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13214/nvidia-reveals-next-gen-turing-gpu-architecture

Next flagship quadro card among others were announced. The Quadro RTX 8000 had 48GB of GDDR6, 4608 CUDA cores, 576 tensor cores, can do 500 trillion “tops” at int4 precision etc etc.

I just think the prices are out of control. Your analogy is sound, but dang, their stuff is over the top expensive. I wonder what business model could actually recover the cost but also justify an upgrade price every other generation of product (much less leaping to every new product release). To add insult to injury, nvidia as of late has been pooping on the prior generation product upon every new product launch