HGST Enterprise 6TB SATA for $85 after coupon

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
well prices have really fallen on these drives. It wasn't long ago I paid 13-150 for these drives - different seller tho'

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
how reliable are these used drive? I was thinking of getting them to use as just a write once then store away and only bring out to read once a while and not as an extended power on use?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
how reliable are these used drive? I was thinking of getting them to use as just a write once then store away and only bring out to read once a while and not as an extended power on use?
they are gone. i generally find HGST enterprise HDDs to be very reliable and great bang for the buck when you can get them used in a good condition.

andy

Oct 10, 2016
Canada
I don't get why people gobble up easy stores, when slightly smaller drives can cost half as much after tax per TB

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I like the easystores due to their power use. I have about 50w difference during idling between 2 servers identical except for their drives. One has shucked 8TBs and the other has HGST 7200rpm drives.

Reactions: Evan

NobleX13

Oct 2, 2014
I got these in the mail and they were packed very poorly. each drive was wrapped in a thin bubble-wrap sleeve, thrown into a medium flat-rate box. The box arrived torn open but all five drives are inside. I will try testing them tonight.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I got these in the mail and they were packed very poorly. each drive was wrapped in a thin bubble-wrap sleeve, thrown into a medium flat-rate box. The box arrived torn open but all five drives are inside. I will try testing them tonight.
That doesnt bode well for my order. I had ordered 8 to replace a set of 4TBs.

NobleX13

Oct 2, 2014
Four of the five drives I got check out. The fifth one makes loud clicks when seeking. I have not had time to do a full surface test on all five yet. But the first two passed.

These arrived with ~18,000 hours on them. No bad/reallocated sectors per the SMART data.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Four of the five drives I got check out. The fifth one makes loud clicks when seeking. I have not had time to do a full surface test on all five yet. But the first two passed.

These arrived with ~18,000 hours on them. No bad/reallocated sectors per the SMART data.
i recommend running badblocks on them. i've found problems with drives that showed no SMART errors until I ran badblocks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016

So that's just about 2+yr old. hmmm i didn't realize they can fail that soon. so much for being "enterprise"...

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The poor packaging probably was not helpful either.

@BLinux. I use stablebit scanner and hdd sentinel to test used disks. Can badblocks be run parallely on multiple disks? Do you have a script you can share?

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
The poor packaging probably was not helpful either.

@BLinux. I use stablebit scanner and hdd sentinel to test used disks. Can badblocks be run parallely on multiple disks? Do you have a script you can share?
I don't really have a script per say. I do run them in parallel. In the "other" deal, I pop the drives into a 24 bay chassis with direct attached backplane and run in Linux:

# screen (I run badblocks in 'screen' so I can logout and come back to check on it)
# nohup badblocks -b 32768 -c 512 -wsv /dev/sdX &
# tail -f nohup.out
(hit ctrl-a-d to detach from screen)

Then, rinse and repeat the above for each drive, but be in a different directory so they don't overwrite the nohup.out file. The -b and -c settings were ones I chose that seem to give me the fastest throughput; but feel free to tweak them.

... BUT... now that you've mentioned it, it may be worth writing a script to make this simple, especially if one is testing a few dozen drives at a time... I'll post something on github when I have time to write a script for this.

bash

Dec 14, 2015
scottsdale
Yeah going to run badblocks on these and pray for the best. I have had issues in the past with "TAMSOLUTIONS" and packaging. Did not pay attention the seller name lol, was too busy getting an order in before they were sold out.