SATA LTO drives?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Alright, time for a stupid question - so right now I have 4x4TB HGST Deskstar NAS drives on a raidz1 setup (in a MicroServer G7 N40L via FreeNAS), and I realized that maybe I should've slapped an extra 4TB up top and ran it on raidz2, my guess is that it might be a little too late for that one. (I'll need to take down an iSCSI connected ESXi datastore and a SMB share environment to get this one going).

So the quick question now is...is there such a thing as a SATA based LTO5 drive or something similar that I should look into, something that can slide into that optical drive bay of the N40L? I would rather have weekly backups to a few rotated tapes than to have nothing at all. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Yes, I know Dropbox/OneDrive is probably an option, but sending a few terabytes up to "the cloud" might take weeks, and I am not exactly feeling like I should trust them (Dropbox deployment via Powershell had been rather "meh" for me at work).

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
I'd be interested as well... so far I have not seen anything like that, but let's see what others share...

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
There is SAS, FC and USB afaik... never seen SATA LTO
Yeah, that's what I am starting to suspect. There are these Dell Powervault RD1000 removable drives that claim to be SATA, but I've also heard that they are nothing but 1TByte 2.5" HDDs in a hardened container.

So it looks like what I'll need to do is pop a PCIe x1->SAS adapter, and then run a SAS cable to an internal LTO-4 or 5 drive. However, I heard that FreeNAS is fairly bad at writing data to tape drives for backup purposes.

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Why not add an internal 8/10 TB drive as backup medium?
Or an external drive via eSata or USB - never tried with FreeNas but should work?

Or USB based Tape? Will not be fast wit USB2 o/c.

If you can put a hba in a x1 slot (not sure you can fit it mechanically, you could also take one with an external port and attach a tape drive externally if it does not fit internally.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Why not add an internal 8/10 TB drive as backup medium?
Or an external drive via eSata or USB - never tried with FreeNas but should work?

Or USB based Tape? Will not be fast wit USB2 o/c.

If you can put a hba in a x1 slot (not sure you can fit it mechanically, you could also take one with an external port and attach a tape drive externally if it does not fit internally.
Well, I kinda want to avoid using an external backup to a single drive - after all, the entire idea of going to a zraid1 array was to eliminate a bunch of external USB drives. I am not about to spend more money on that - don't think the missus will approve of it. But then, now to think about it, I should've made it zraid2 (on 5 drives)...although who knows how long the RAID rebuild would take and whether the array will survive an extra drive dying before it even finishes. I think right now I am kinda leaning towards PCIe-to-SAS card (The Microserver G7 has a spare PCIe x1 slot) and then attaching an LTO4 or 5 drive to it. It does give me an excuse to buy some backup tapes and a tape drive, and then to figure out how to use bacula in FreeNAS.

Hmmm. That reminds me. I really should setup a TimeMachine clone on FreeNAS so I can backup the iTunes collection from my Mac Mini .

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
[...] whether the array will survive an extra drive dying before it even finishes [...]
A bit off topic, but: that's why you cron weekly zpool scrubs. I am not worried that my pool recovers. Well, let me rephrase that: I am much less worried about it. :)

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
A bit off topic, but: that's why you cron weekly zpool scrubs. I am not worried that my pool recovers. Well, let me rephrase that: I am much less worried about it. :)
I do have weekly zpool scrubs - that being said, I might need to redo the entire zpool setup soon-ish. It makes more sense for me to switch OS from FreeNAS to OmniOS and retool the drives from 4x4TB zraid1 to RAID10.