Dual CPU - 1 socket bad bluescreens

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ycp

Jun 22, 2014
Hey,

I have a Supermicro X11 DPH-T motherboard with 2 Intel ES cpus installed.
If I install only one cpu in this board it is perfectly stable.
But if i Install a cpu in the CPU2 socket then i get random bluescreens and restarts.
The bluescreen errors are written as "whea uncorrectable error".

I have tried both cpus in socket 1 only and it is stable. But if i install a cpu in socket2 i get bluescreens.
I looked at the socket i don't see bent pins but i could be wrong.
I have a 2nd workstation with the same board and cpus and that is working completely stable.
I think its something wrong with that socket or could it be a bios setting or something?

Any ideas from the community?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Is the BIOS and BMC firmware up to date? Tried swapping the Memory out for the stuff in the good Workstation? Tried with just a single stick of RAM? Power supply good to both CPU's? Heatsink making good thermal contact? Tried with the board out of the case? Do you have any expansion cards installed? If so remove them and try again without them, check really closely for bent CPU pins with a jewelers loupe, make sure the CPU pads are shiny clean :)

ycp

Jun 22, 2014
Is the BIOS and BMC firmware up to date? Tried swapping the Memory out for the stuff in the good Workstation? Tried with just a single stick of RAM? Power supply good to both CPU's? Heatsink making good thermal contact? Tried with the board out of the case? Do you have any expansion cards installed? If so remove them and try again without them, check really closely for bent CPU pins with a jewelers loupe, make sure the CPU pads are shiny clean :)

1. Bios and BMC Firmware are upto date
2. I have swapped out the memory already and same issue and done a memtest on the memory and all good
3. I have tried 3 different power supplies same issue
4. Heatsink is fine because i have tried both cpus in socket 1 and its stable, also i am monitoring temperatures when both sockets are in use and there is no issue of high temperatures.
5. I have not tried with the board out of the case i will try that.
6. No expansion cards installed.
7. Will check for the bent cpu pins again.
8. The cpu pads should be clean because i tried both cpus in socket 1 for a few days and its stable. The problem only occurs when there is a cpu installed in socket2

wpj

Jun 18, 2018
Assuming you are running Windows; Disable Automatic Restart on Bluescreen from Bios (Its called ASR) and check the bluescreen code. Configure your machine for a complete dump; load it in windbg x64 (Download windbg x from store) and share output of
!analyze -v Keep RAM at minimum so that the dump file is smaller.

Edit : Just checked you have posted the msg already. You can try what is discussed below once.

Bug Check 0x124 WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR