Supermicro X9DRI-LN4F+ Reset BMC Jumper?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

krasnaya

May 21, 2015
I was debugging some memory issues with a Supermicro X9DRI-LN4F+ motherboard, and now it doesn't boot. There is a flashing green light on the motherboard, so presumably the BMC is still enabled. I tried connecting to the dedicated IPMI port but it doesn't look like it got an IP (according to my router's client list). And I don't know what the IPMI settings were before, as I got this motherboard used. Is there a way to reset the BMC to get an IP via DHCP so I can login to the management console? I've already tried resetting the CMOS and am out of ideas.

krasnaya

May 21, 2015
Correct. No beeps, no VGA output, no POST, nothing. Usually when I turn it on, the PSU fan starts spinning as well as the CPU fans. But now when I try turning it on, nothing happens. The only indication I have that it isn't dead is that blinking green light.

"... doesn't boot" can mean anything. No beeps, no VGA output, no POST, nothing ?

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
If it's inside a case, there could be shorting and the 12V power rail will cut off as safety. The BMC will still be on because it takes the standby voltage rail. I've had this happen to an Xeon board of mine and it took a long time to debug/realize.

Reactions: Tha_14

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Somewhat related, I don't think reset BMC will help you in this case at least at current stage because the board doesn't POST/power up as you've said. This really sounds like a power shorting/delivery issue as @Kev mentioned, with a working board, even with no CPU/RAM installed, you can power it on and fans would spin etc.
As you mentioned the BMC heartbeat LED is blinking, I'm guessing you have physical access to the server, if that is still the case, highly recommend removing it out of the case and testing on a bench if possible.

Reactions: Tha_14

krasnaya

May 21, 2015
I took the board outside of the case, just in case something was shorting it. Tried booting without cpu/memory and still nothing happens (no beeps, PSU fan doesn't turn on). The LED that is blinking is LEM1 , which is the BMC heartbeat LED. I currently disconnected everything from the board (cpu/ram/battery/power cables), and am going to leave it sitting overnight. I also shorted JBT1 after removing the battery.

Board is in a case or outside of a case not fixed/connected to anything ? Booting it w/o cpu + memory gives you some kind of beep code ? Which LED is 'blinking' ? Link: https://cloudninjas.com/media/Supermicro-Quick-Reference/X9DR3-LN4F+Motherboard.pdf

krasnaya

May 21, 2015
I've taken the board out of the case, and even tried another PSU and different CPUs, but still no luck.

Somewhat related, I don't think reset BMC will help you in this case at least at current stage because the board doesn't POST/power up as you've said. This really sounds like a power shorting/delivery issue as @Kev mentioned, with a working board, even with no CPU/RAM installed, you can power it on and fans would spin etc.
As you mentioned the BMC heartbeat LED is blinking, I'm guessing you have physical access to the server, if that is still the case, highly recommend removing it out of the case and testing on a bench if possible.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Hmmm... curious what memory issues you were debugging before this and what adjustments you tried that lead the board to become non-responsive? Almost want to guess board was on the way out (memory issues) and may have finally broke. The BMC subsystem (heartbeat LED that you see) from what I understand is on a completely separate stack, it's basically a mini-computer on its own and as long as there is power connected, it should work unless it was broken (bad firmware flash etc). Having a working BMC does not indicate a working "board" and vice versa, you can have a broken BMC (if you don't ever need to use it) and use the board normally

krasnaya

May 21, 2015
I was installing more RAM but it kept getting stuck at B7 while POSTing. So I was moving the DIMMs around trying to isolate if it was a bad DIMM or just a particular slot. What was really weird is that I had 20 of the DIMMs populated and booting just fine, then I added the final 4 and it wouldn't get past B7. After fiddling around, it looked like it was consistently having trouble with P1 DIMM A1 - which was populated and working before.

Hmmm... curious what memory issues you were debugging before this and what adjustments you tried that lead the board to become non-responsive? Almost want to guess board was on the way out (memory issues) and may have finally broke. The BMC subsystem (heartbeat LED that you see) from what I understand is on a completely separate stack, it's basically a mini-computer on its own and as long as there is power connected, it should work unless it was broken (bad firmware flash etc). Having a working BMC does not indicate a working "board" and vice versa, you can have a broken BMC (if you don't ever need to use it) and use the board normally

krasnaya

May 21, 2015
Is there supposed to be a solid green LED light when the PSU is plugged in? Should be the Onboard Power LED (LE1) from the link above. I seem to recall there was, but am only seeing the BMC heartbeat LED now.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I was installing more RAM but it kept getting stuck at B7 while POSTing. So I was moving the DIMMs around trying to isolate if it was a bad DIMM or just a particular slot. What was really weird is that I had 20 of the DIMMs populated and booting just fine, then I added the final 4 and it wouldn't get past B7. After fiddling around, it looked like it was consistently having trouble with P1 DIMM A1 - which was populated and working before.
Very strange, but sounds similar to this thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-post-code-b7-and-b9.11184/
Seems like reseating CPU could potentially help.

Is there supposed to be a solid green LED light when the PSU is plugged in? Should be the Onboard Power LED (LE1) from the link above. I seem to recall there was, but am only seeing the BMC heartbeat LED now.
I don't believe there is, not on any of the SM boards I've worked with. There may be a header but not built onto the board. Check the manual? It's very detailed and has every LED/header listed

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
Correct. No beeps, no VGA output, no POST, nothing. Usually when I turn it on, the PSU fan starts spinning as well as the CPU fans. But now when I try turning it on, nothing happens. The only indication I have that it isn't dead is that blinking green light.

I am going through this exact same thing with this exact board.

My board has the latest updates from the RMA service.

Did you ever find a solution?

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
Nope, I ended up getting a new board.
It looks like my power supply Corsair AX860i, maxes out at 125w on the 12v rail. My CPU (E5-2690 v1)
requires 135w.

Looks like I need to go into it on the software side to unlock virtual rails to make adjustments.

Just in case I have a dual cpu eps EVGA 750w coming.

Last edited:

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I would find it very strange for an 860W power supply to only be able to supply 125W on the 12V rail; most PSUs get the bulk of their numbers from the 12V side. Johnny Guru certainly rates it higher than that:
Corsair AX860i 860W Power Supply Review

The E5-2690 has a TDP of 135W, that doesn't mean it pulls 135W from the 12V rail and it certainly wouldn't be pulling maximum power at POST. It's highly unlikely this is a PSU issue.

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
I would find it very strange for an 860W power supply to only be able to supply 125W on the 12V rail; most PSUs get the bulk of their numbers from the 12V side. Johnny Guru certainly rates it higher than that:
Corsair AX860i 860W Power Supply Review

The E5-2690 has a TDP of 135W, that doesn't mean it pulls 135W from the 12V rail and it certainly wouldn't be pulling maximum power at POST. It's highly unlikely this is a PSU issue.

Yes, it was the review I read. I found another after posting it cause it didnt make any sense. Found that it was completely wrong.

I have found people used a splitter off the 8 pin for both CPU's, I just used an extra cable. I may just have to sell the board. I really don't want to have to RMA it a second time in 4 months.