Solaris 11.1 Home Nas

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sial

Aug 20, 2013
Hello everybody, this is my first post.
I need urgently to consolidate and make backups of all my PC, Mac and ESXi stuff. After done some tests in a virtual enviroment I'm going to build a Home Nas with Solaris 11.1 and ZFS for NFS and CIFS sharings. I will use a total of 8 disks, 6 RaidZ2 Seagate Constellation CS 2Tb ST2000NC001 and two old Seagate 500gb ZFS mirrored for operating system. I prefer for the time normal PC hardware and, once put security first, then migrate in the near future the RaidZ2 array on a server grade hardware. For this I would like to use a SATA controller that do not conditions in any way the future migration. I'm thinking about a DH77KC Intel motherboard, Pentium G2130 processor, 16Gb non-ECC ram. For the case I have not decided yet. Unfortunately the SATA ports on the motherboard are not enough so you have to add a SATA controller. On my ESXi stuff I'm currently using Dell H200 in traditional RAID mode, it’s cheap but performances aren’t the top. Because I cannot destroy my actual arrays, I also don’t know its performance under Solaris. I need advices…
Thank you.

brutalizer

Jun 16, 2013
So what is your question and what is your concern?

(If you are really worried about safety and heavy data protection you should use ZFS and ECC RAM. The ECC RAM is important when using heavy data protection)

sial

Aug 20, 2013
Zfs is my first choice. ECC ram should be a must but need a more expensive motherboard. I've taken a look for used hp or dell workstation but no real advantages over G2130 with old L or E xeon. Not interested in server stuff for the moment, too power hungry, heavy and noisy. Wich mobo and controller should i go for?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Zfs is my first choice. ECC ram should be a must but need a more expensive motherboard. I've taken a look for used hp or dell workstation but no real advantages over G2130 with old L or E xeon. Not interested in server stuff for the moment, too power hungry, heavy and noisy. Wich mobo and controller should i go for?
For a NAS, I would use
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9SCM-F

add a cheap 17W DualCore Xeon and
add two fast and mirrorred 16GB+ USB sticks (you should use server editions) as system disk (+6 sata data disks) or
an IBM 1015 SAS controller for a 6 Sata + 8 SAS ports (flash to IT mode)

or
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SL7-F
that include an excellent SAS controller, you may need to add a cheap Intel Nic, Onboard Nics are very new
(flash to IT mode)

or
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9SRH-7TF
if you want to be 10 GbE ready, (flash to IT mode)

ps
If you do not need Solaris 11.1 encryption, consider OmniOS (free fork) as well

Last edited:

sial

Aug 20, 2013
The X10SL7-F should be the way to go. In Italy it's very difficult to buy recent hardware, and for the moment none sells it on line . Same for Xeon Haswell ...