Just a quick reminder what Shipping can do...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
Hi there,

had a interesting damage today, so Interesting that i thought i will share this.

I canno´t imagine how they achived that. There must have been a significant hit during shipping.

So welcome to a hard to watch Supermicro X11DPi-NT that has been killed by DPD :confused:

IMG_7938 (Large).jpg IMG_7939 (Large).jpg IMG_7942 (Large).jpg IMG_7943 (Large).jpg IMG_7944 (Large).jpg IMG_7945 (Large).jpg

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
No chassis damage? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that without a large accompanying dent.

minimini

Sep 9, 2016
Is it really DPD who managed to damage this board so badly. Do you think it's mistake of manufacturer or seller ? Looks too impossible for transport damage to look like this.

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
The system took a major fall or hit in fact so hard that the SC846 is now bend on the Back side. (Not just the rear window i mean the compleat chassis like 3-5mm from right to left)

The impact was so hard that the back fans brocke the mouting poinst and gave the plastik airduct free.

My best gues is that the board just could‘n resist due to the „heavy“ heatsings and snaped.

Fist time i see something like this...

It has to be fallen of a conveyair or something no normal drop could brake such a chassis so easaly. A Brocken rack ear or something would be understandable but this:eek:

Seller has testet the unit befor shipping it out so yea im thinking someone at DPD had some funo_O

Reactions: Tha_14

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Is it really DPD who managed to damage this board so badly. Do you think it's mistake of manufacturer or seller ? Looks too impossible for transport damage to look like this.
As someone who orders electronics from UK and they only use DPD from the one e-shop I usually buy, every package that get's handled by DPD comes to you destoyed. At least this is to my experience so far.

Mishka

Apr 30, 2017
London, UK
As someone who orders electronics from UK and they only use DPD from the one e-shop I usually buy, every package that get's handled by DPD comes to you destoyed. At least this is to my experience so far.
Oddly ive never had a DPD destroyed package though they have a few times turned up early despite giving me a timeslot

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Oddly ive never had a DPD destroyed package though they have a few times turned up early despite giving me a timeslot
I guess I've been unlucky so far. At least the shop I buy from knows about it and they package the good very good.

mattlongman

Jul 12, 2018
I always worry with DPD. Depending on what it is, I'll sometimes get deliveries sent to the nearby DPD Pickup shop so I can check the packaging before accepting it. Unless I really feel like playing 'where did they hide the parcel', of course.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
had a interesting damage today, so Interesting that i thought i will share this.

I canno´t imagine how they achived that. There must have been a significant hit during shipping.
What sort of packaging was that in? Supermicro has been putting big "CAUTION!" notes in their chassis-only boxes for a while now, that say that the packaging is only suitable for shipping a bare chassis, not a complete system. And if that bubble wrap was from the packaging, it isn't even the Supermicro chassis packaging.

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
What sort of packaging was that in? Supermicro has been putting big "CAUTION!" notes in their chassis-only boxes for a while now, that say that the packaging is only suitable for shipping a bare chassis, not a complete system. And if that bubble wrap was from the packaging, it isn't even the Supermicro chassis packaging.

Thats realy interesting. If the original Box of the Chassis issent enought how are these servers have to be Packaged....

likely the only Saver way than the original Box would be on pallet so the shipping companys cant throught or drop the systems so easaly.

This system came in aftermarket packaging. Lots of buble rap and Warning labels all over it.

But as mentioned above i do not thing that a simple drop did this. I would gues it did fall off an conveyer or something or maybe a "Hulky" persone did some workout with the Box:D

I think if there would be something between the top litt and the air duct this could have been saved.