Since there is no new member introduction sticky...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlackHole

Jul 21, 2018
... you'll have to deal with me making a new personal thread - because I consider introducing myself good manners.
My name is BlackHole and I'm a certified nerd. I've been a long time lurker and decided to come clear.
Initially I came here for the excellent information at STH and found an incredibly knowledgeable and helpful community in the forums. So kudos all around.
During my career I've done some small scale "data center" operations, but am currently just stuck with some home networking/computing - and a day job, so my tinker-time is somewhat limited, but it's a past time I enjoy.

Since I am EU based, most of the cool stuff you guys are talking about is either unavailable or ludicrously priced for me. :(

Thanks for having me.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Used gear in EU is expensive but I don’t really know why as new purchases (at least when buying 1000 servers a year for example) can be as competitive as almost anywhere.

Anyway welcome :)

BlackHole

Jul 21, 2018
Used gear in EU is expensive but I don’t really know why as new purchases (at least when buying 1000 servers a year for example) can be as competitive as almost anywhere.

Anyway welcome :)
TY all.

Anyway, my guess re the above is mainly taxes. B2B VAT is a pass-through, B2C it's due. Plus EU customer protection when selling used gear B2C. So I guess most used gear gets moved B2B until it's less hassle to just scrap it.
Also, power efficiency matters a tad more over her due to costly power, making used gear less interesting to people looking at the TCO. Add to that the fact that there's simply less supply of used gear to begin with, as there is less digital economy compared to the US.
Meh. I'm used to the prices, but would really like the wide range to pick from you get in the US and parts of Asia.