pfSense 2.4.4 Makes pfSense Gold Available to All

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Seems they try to push all towards their own hardware really.

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
I'm personally moving away from pfSense, because the documentation, although available, is so widely dispersed and outdated it makes for a horrible experience. I've gotten more from the Proxmox forums than pfSense's forums, which is saying something.

Another reason is the lack of real IDS/IPS integration in the "free" product, and at most minimal in even the paid version. The competition is getting fierce in these arenas now as cloud integration/offloading makes up for weaker onsite equipment.

If they can get their customer service and maintenance documentation together than I'll be more than willing to give them a shot for simple firewall and OpenVPN usage, not much else that they deliver now that others don't.

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
I've got quite a bit of MSP experience, so lots of sprinkled units at many many locations.

In that environment I've gone through so many I'm having a hard time remembering each brand. The last two shops I worked at standardized on Sonicwalls... And I hate them. Almost identical issues with setup/management as pfsense (time consuming and bulky).

We're playing with Sophos (what I just switched to on my home network) and Meraki (expensive).