VDI build for charity. STEM Program. Questions and Guidance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
Hello all,
I recently acquired some HPt510 thin clients and am going to set up a training classroom for the local boys and girls club. These are zero client machines and options for connection at startup are Citrix, rd7 and VMware. I run vm’s at the house all of the time in hyper-v and have played around with VMware but am by no means a professional. I believe that I have everything covered on in terms of getting hardware but need some assistance or recommendations on what to get based on # of users. By this I mean mean minimum recommendations on maximum # of stations and The reason I say that is the original build will be for the STEM training using 5 of the thinclients but the ultimate goal is to be able to expand it by turning old computers into thin clients.
Let’s say a maximum of 20 stations.

Server (don’t have server yet so used some of mine for starting reference
Hyper-v Win10
Dual e5-2690
S2600CP2J intel
128gb ram
4x3tb IronWolfSeagate hdd
LSI 9271-8i
Intel 1350 dual gb nic. Onboard.
Have tons of 1 & 2 gb video cards can use these for GPU passthu to clients

Stations - Recommendations on os would be appreciated. Thinking of using Ubuntu.
5 thin zero clients
10/100/1000 nic
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse

Last edited:
Reactions: nthu9280 and Marsh

Marsh

May 12, 2013
You are working with non-profit org, google "microsoft software for nonprofit".
Buy a Windows Multipoint server license for really really cheap price .

Google Multipoint server , it is Windows 10 VDI .

Microsoft build Multipoint server for educational field.
All the heavy computation work is done on the server , with the new Multipoint , you could watch youtube video on the cheap client.
The master station has control over other station , making administration easier.
It could be pretty light weight, when you could config as RDP terminal server. Each station is like a light weight Windows 10 desktop.
Or run individual Windows 10 VM, then you need a beefier hardware

You could run a trial by downloading Windows server 2016 , enable the multipoint role. Start playing with it.

Reactions: Mike W

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va

All the heavy computation work is done on the server , with the new Multipoint , you could watch youtube video on the cheap client.
The master station has control over other station , making administration easier.
It could be pretty light weight, when you could config as RDP terminal server. Each station is like a light weight Windows 10 desktop.

You could run a trial by downloading Windows server 2016 , enable the multipoint role. Start playing with it.
Thank you.i will check that out

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Are you planning to teach students to write code? Using Microsoft Office ( cheap office license for non-profit )?
Watching instruction videos ( Youtube )?

Memory usage is the main concern.
Each station , basic usage start with ( server side 512MB to 1GB each ) to ( 2GB and up for each station, it adds up fast ).

People donate time and effort for non-profit have a special place in my heart.

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
Are you planning to teach students to write code? Using Microsoft Office ( cheap office license for non-profit )?

Each station , basic usage start with ( server side 512MB to 1GB each ) to ( 2GB and up for each station, it adds up fast ).

I am working with the local stem director and she has mentioned that all the kids are interested in coding. I just happened to stumble upon these thin clients and decided to do some good with them. I am not teaching just donating time and knowledge to help out. I have thought about doing some training with older kids that may be interested and then it would be on the hardware side more than likely. Teach them the internal parts and how to replace/upgrade themselves and how to do it on the cheap. I have honestly only purchased 2 computer in the past 20 years. My first one in 1999 and my my server that i use for home learning. I am not an IT Pro and actually work in HVAC automation. Computers are my hobby and I am doing this because it is the right thing to do. I have been building them for next to nothing for 20. I suck at coding but i think if i could teach them how to build/repair it could be very beneficial for them.

Reactions: Tha_14

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va

They have mentioned trying to find some kind of software based curriculum that can be used for training the kids in coding and other stem area's. I have been asking around about this but honestly my main focus has been the hardware requirements and procurement of such hardware. If you have any suggestions or know of any other projects like this and what they have done I would happily pass it on.

Checking out the Multipoint and it looks awesome. Going to have to talk to the director for her to sign up so we can get pricing. Have some sponsorship for this but dont want to use that card until i need it. Was thinking software is where i would need it anyways.

Thank you so much for the info

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Where are you located ? I am in the SF Bay Area CA.
I would be happy to meet in person or online to bounce ideas.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
More random thoughts in my heads.

There is a similar "Go Fund Me " type for non-profit org, I forgot the name of site ( google it ).
Write a proposal , then wait for donation for hardware and software.

For the Server pricing, my re-collection is bewteen $125 to $200 ( Windows server datacenter ).

Another idea is buy a bunch I3 or I5 computers, there are IT supplier for non-profit org.
Complete I3 system with LCD screen and Windows OS, and Office goes for approx $70 ,
Complete I5 system with LCD goes for approx $100.

Home: PCs for People - PCs for People
Refurbished Desktops, Laptops and Accessories by Category

Just received their mailer,
$70 - Dell Optiplex 3010 i3 Full Set
Refurbished Desktops, Laptops and Accessories by Category

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
Where are you located ? I am in the SF Bay Area CA.
I would be happy to meet in person or online to bounce ideas.
I am in San Antonio and am very happy to bounce idea’s. Good news is I just spoke with the people who are donating the thin clients and he told me that he will have around 30 more thin clients cause they have been using them for ms office training. And I was like WHAT. YOU STILL HAVE THE SERVER? AND ITS RUNNING!!!
Answer was- I guess so. Is it important. I laughed and laughed. Now they have to find it.

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va

Marsh,
Just wanted to say thank you for the information on this. Have been researching it and it is exactly what I was looking for. I have been also looking to the Hacking stem lessons they have available.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
I am in San Antonio and am very happy to bounce idea’s. Good news is I just spoke with the people who are donating the thin clients and he told me that he will have around 30 more thin clients cause they have been using them for ms office training. And I was like WHAT. YOU STILL HAVE THE SERVER? AND ITS RUNNING!!!
Answer was- I guess so. Is it important. I laughed and laughed. Now they have to find it.
There are a couple of us in San Antonio on the Forums. I don't have VDI specific experience but may be able to help out if you need it.

Reactions: Marsh

Marsh

May 12, 2013
They have mentioned trying to find some kind of software based curriculum that can be used for training the kids in coding and other stem area's
Without more information , ages of the students, objectives, instructor profile. It is hard to recommend.

But the Net is filled with 1000's of free introductory tutorial, coding or other subjects.

Check out Khan Academy , He is doing a great service for humanity
Computer programming | Computing | Khan Academy

more information, Please

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
There are a couple of us in San Antonio on the Forums. I don't have VDI specific experience but may be able to help out if you need it.
I am really glad to hear that and will definitely reach out to you. I met with the stem director today and will be doing a phone conference with the IT contractor Thursday morning. If you wouldn’t mind I would like to talk to you on the side if you are serious about helping. Feel free to Shoot me a PM if so

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
Without more information , ages of the students, objectives, instructor profile. It is hard to recommend.

But the Net is filled with 1000's of free introductory tutorial, coding or other subjects.

Check out Khan Academy , He is doing a great service for humanity
Computer programming | Computing | Khan Academy

more information, Please
I will have more info soon. Met with the stem director today and brought one the thin clients for them to take show the IT dept. I speak with them on Thursday. Thank you so much for the help. Honestly it’s questions like the ones you just asked that stop me in my tracks and really get me thinking. I have been so focused on equipment and software needs that I never asked student ages or what their needs were. THANK YOU.
Kinda learning this as I go.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I'm in San Antonio also and can help. I specialize in Data Warehousing & Analytics. Have not done coding in a long time.

MOOCs are another excellent resource for courseware. Coursera & EDX have structured courses done by most major Universities and most courses are free if you are not seeking a certification. They have video lectures and exercises/labs. They are more appropriate for older kids though.

Reactions: Tha_14 and Mike W

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
I'm in San Antonio also and can help. I specialize in Data Warehousing & Analytics. Have not done coding in a long time.

MOOCs are another excellent resource for courseware. Coursera & EDX have structured courses done by most major Universities and most courses are free if you are not seeking a certification. They have video lectures and exercises/labs. They are more appropriate for older kids though.
Awesome. Did not expect any help but this is just great. Going to sleep. Have a great 4th and I will give you a shout later.
Thank you

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
Build is off. Boys and Girls club just got 15 laptops per classroom for their STEM program. I am happy for them but bummed at the same time. Off to the next one then.

Reactions: Tha_14