HP DL180 G6 2U LGA1366 storage server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Sorry for bring up at an older topic, but why did you end up deciding to sell it?
I can say I traded mine because the future Mrs. STH decided there was too much equipment around.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I don't understand. What is the English translation for this "too much equipment"? :)
I don't think that there is a translation that would make sense to an IT professional, but you can get close by drawing an analogy to the phrase "too many shoes". Both statements are incomprehensible or even absurd to some audiences while self-evident to others.

On the other hand, Patrick's fiancé is an IT professional, so now I'm thinking that he must REALLY REALLY have too much stuff!

Last edited:

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Hah! "Too many shoes". I think you nailed it right there. So far, I'm still getting away with the equipment at this point - though she'd like to see the basement air-conditioned.

Now on the hunt for a 12 bay DL180 G6 to replace the 2950 that can't do nested virtualization....

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Sorry for bring up at an older topic, but why did you end up deciding to sell it?
I still have mine but it is powered down at the moment and might be on the market soon. Two reasons:

- its too loud for home use and not as easily "tamed" as the C6100 is.
- its the 14-bay LFF version and, as such, is not easily integrated into a LAN using high-speed connections (10Gbe and/or IB). The cage required to convert it to a 12-bay with more PCIe slots is not readily available.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Has anyone tried approaching HP for the riser kit ?.

either
HP DL180 G6 2PCI-E x8 Full Height Upgradeable Option Kit (497145-B21): GBP 25 + tax.
or
HP DL180 G6 3 Slot x8 Full Height PCI-E Riser Kit (577668-B21): GBP 45 + tax.

And for the old skool....
HP DL180 G6 PCI-X Full Riser Kit (488230-B21): GBP 45 + tax

RB

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The riser is readily available on eBay. I've got one and you can certainly do the loosy-goosy install with just the riser. But it leaves you no way to secure the cards so that they don't unseat due to vibration, etc. But to get everything mechanically stable you need the cage, or you need to fab some parts of your own to do the same job.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
The riser is readily available on eBay. I've got one and you can certainly do the loosy-goosy install with just the riser. But it leaves you no way to secure the cards so that they don't unseat due to vibration, etc. But to get everything mechanically stable you need the cage, or you need to fab some parts of your own to do the same job.
Would have thought the kit would have had all the part required as opposed to the riser board (516803-001) only being the board.

I don't see any option part number for a rear PCIe cage in the option parts list for the DL180 G6. Do you happen to know the part number ?.

Thanks
RB

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Ok,

Upgrade kit picture (497145-B21) here. It is not just the riser board.

507258-001 - PCIe x 16 riser card
516803-001 - PCIe x 8 full height riser card

There is a plactics kit (507260-001) but would imagine this if internal.
Plastics kit - Includes small form factor blank, low profile PCI array bracket, slimline bracket, M2 screws (0.4x.2.1mm), TT screws (6-32x.160,SLT-T15), power supply blank, and LC2UG6 rear I/O panel
Parts surfer for the HP DL180 G6 is here.

Update:

More frustrating is that there are 3 cages available. The PCIe cage, HDD cage and ODD cage. Details are on page 88 onwards of the systems maintenance manual (pdf).

The HDD cage and ODD cage both have part numbers but the PCIe cage does not which is why I still hope it is part of the PCIe x8 option kit.

RB

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
its FIO only dude, impossible to get except for CTO.

you can spend $10 on the riser user, and use lego's or some putty to make it stay put and it will be fine (no shitting!!) you will pay $49 in germany for this part (no export ebay seller) or $199 usa for a cto chassis. IT ONLY comes from the factory.

I'd look at the ODD kit. Get a pic of it. I think you would lose the x16 but you could hack that back.

either way hack the dl180 G6 and enjoy it. $10 for the x8 riser (no x4!) - riser are riser

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
its FIO only dude, impossible to get except for CTO.

you can spend $10 on the riser user, and use lego's or some putty to make it stay put and it will be fine (no shitting!!) you will pay $49 in germany for this part (no export ebay seller) or $199 usa for a cto chassis. IT ONLY comes from the factory.

I'd look at the ODD kit. Get a pic of it. I think you would lose the x16 but you could hack that back.

either way hack the dl180 G6 and enjoy it. $10 for the x8 riser (no x4!) - riser are riser
Thanks. Would still be interesting to know what is in the kits though (i.e. why buy the kit rather than just the riser board).

Yep the fallback would seem to be the ODD kit as you would get 2* x8 slots. A bit of creative dremeling and you may be able to splice the left of the drive kit to the right of the ODD cage and have 2* x8 and 1* x16.

Never easy :).

Link to the maintenance doc corrected above. Has the pics of the different cages in it.

RB

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
A bit of lateral thinking...

The X1600 G2 is also based on the DL180 G2 chassis. It also has a rear drive cage that supports 2x 2.5" drives and 1* x8 and 1* x16 PCIe cards :). What is the bet that this may fit ?.

It is also interesting that there is not a 1* x8 riser on the parts list but only a 3* x8 riser so the other two x8 slots may be along side the 2.5" hdd bays. Ribbon cables may give access.

RB

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
...It is also interesting that there is not a 1* x8 riser on the parts list but only a 3* x8 riser so the other two x8 slots may be along side the 2.5" hdd bays. Ribbon cables may give access.

RB
Nope. No hidden PCIe slots... The 2nd slot - the one furthest from the PSUs - is a custom slot. Even though it looks like a standard PCIe x16 slot its really two x8 slots wired into an x16 socket - plus there is an "extra" short slot behind it with an additional x4. The 3x x8 riser sorts it all back out into three standard PCIe x8 slots, one of which is electrically x4.

The other slot - the one closer to the PSUs - is a "standard" x16 slot. It requires a riser to access it because the back of the case doesn't have any room to mount the card in a standard way.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Nope. No hidden PCIe slots... The 2nd slot - the one furthest from the PSUs - is a custom slot. Even though it looks like a standard PCIe x16 slot its really two x8 slots wired into an x16 socket - plus there is an "extra" short slot behind it with an additional x4. The 3x x8 riser sorts it all back out into three standard PCIe x8 slots, one of which is electrically x4.

The other slot - the one closer to the PSUs - is a "standard" x16 slot. It requires a riser to access it because the back of the case doesn't have any room to mount the card in a standard way.
Sure but the point was that the drive cage for the X1600 G2 has a slot under the drives as they are only 2.5" so take less space. If the X1600 G2 cage fits the DL180 G2 (being that they are both based on the same chassis) then yuo get one more PCIe slot accessible than with the DL180 G2 3.5" drive cage.

As there is only a 3* x8 slot riser on the X1600 G2 parts list (2* x8 and 1* x4 electrical most probably) rather than a single x8 riser to service the slot under 2.5" drive cage then it seems reasonible to assume the remaining 2 slots on that riser are in the space alongside the 2.5" drive bays and as there is more room than in the 3.5" drive cage it should be easier to use ribbons and getto mounts to possibly make use of these other two pcie slots as well.

Picture here. the gap below the HDD slot is for the extra PCIe card on the X1600 G2, there is also a fair bit of space to the left of the drive slots to play with ribbon cables etc. This item is even listed as being for the DL180 G2 even though the part number is for the X1600 G2 and not listed as a part for the DL180 G2.

Of course now we need someone to test and see :).

I am just working out pricing for a DL380 G6 otherwise I would have given it a go myself.

RB

Last edited:

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
I've got one of these (DL180G6). The loudest server I've got, had to buy a sound proof cabinet to host it. Without a riser the sound is fine. With a riser all the fans turn to max. No native way to control it. Quite annoying!!

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
I saw the review and expected it to be louder than it is. What are your fan control settings in BIOS? You aren't running MAX right?