OpenIndiana Hipster under Proxmox with SAS HBA PCI passthrough

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

blood

Apr 20, 2017
I'm trying to combine my virtualization (Proxmox VE) and filer (OpenIndiana Hipster) together into one physical system to save on power but had a frustrating time with it yesterday. I can install OpenIndiana as a VM just fine - but when I pass through an LSI SAS HBA to it, suddenly it fails to boot (it boots in a loop and quickly flashes a kernel crash that I can't read well before it cycles again). I think it's the same problem reported here and here a few years ago.

I tried the same with a Linux guest and it worked fine so I don't think Proxmox is at fault here (or my hardware for that matter) as I could see and use all of the disks on the HBA - but I have preferred solarish for filers for a few years now due to the well-integrated nature of ZFS+iSCSI+NFS+SMB. I know I can do all of those things from Linux, but I was hoping to get the best of both.

I tried passing through the physical volumes instead (via virtio and virtio-scsi) as I saw folks doing that and that worked, but while I don't have any hard scientific numbers behind it, the performance was quite poor. So bad that I'll probably go back to dedicated hardware for each role until I can figure it out.

I'm also wondering if my hardware might have anything to do with it. I'm using an X9SCM-f with a Xeon E3 v2. I've had trouble getting SR-IOV to work on this hardware due to ACS groups, but I think this should work as the HBA is in its own group - and again, it works with Linux as the guest. Still, it takes two to have an incompatibility.

Has anyone gotten PCI passthrough of a SAS HBA to a solarish system working under Proxmox? I've read of people doing this with VMware ESXi as the hypervisor, but not under KVM.

Last edited:

blood

Apr 20, 2017
Why not just use Proxmox for ZFS management?
If all I cared about was ZFS I’d be fine with Proxmox but there is more to a filer than the filesystem. I don’t like iSCSI under Linux and do like it under Solaris. ZFS is integrated better under Solaris than Linux, though ZoL is getting better. I tried using Proxmox for filer duties a few years back and that’s what led me to build a dedicated SAN.