Proxmox learning build out of mostly used stuff .

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Windows...... XP???
:eek:

Yes Windows XP -----64 bit------, its really the same as Windows 2003 Server under the hood.

Should have been named Windows 2003 Workstation.

I got a free OS disk for it from MS back in 2004 ish?, I used to be in alot of beta programs back when MS actually gave out cool stuff for participating. That was a VL disk, did not require activation at all.

Installed it on my Athlon 64 3200+ system and it sucked a big one.:confused:

ZERO drivers and no drivers until months later. :mad:

After it finally had drivers for my setup it was an awesome OS , much MUCH better than the 32 bit version.

It was my go-to Windows desktop OS until Windows 7 came out.

The version I used for the VM was the one that I downloaded from MS when I had a Technet subscription, not VL but I already had the .iso image so it was easy to install.

Been wanting to try it on my Dual E5-2667 v3 system, it should be blazing fast on it and it can handle the 64 gigs of ram and the dual cpu setup.:D

Don't give me the deal about "unsupported operating systems", I also play around with vintage computers and OS's but not as my main pc.

Pc's are a hobby for my, i'm not in the IT business so I tend to have a different outlook on stuff than a "pro".:p

Last edited:
Reactions: fossxplorer

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
It's lower than I was expecting, but that is just in the bios with no OS and the drives were not being accessed.

EDIT: That 64 watts might not be correct, the kilowatt meter i'm using is acting flaky so the next time i'll shutdown i'll plug in my other one.

Tested it again and its ~165 to ~171 watts at idle.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Installed Windows 10 64bit using the guide here: Windows 10 guest best practices - Proxmox VE

Used 4 cores and 8 gigs of ram.

The only thing I did a little different is in the guide it says to use VirtIO win8*/2012 for the hard disk driver and network driver, I chose VirtIO Win10/2016 instead.

I'm assuming the guide has not been updated to the latest info.

All I can say is WOW. LOL

I am planning on reinstalling WinXP 64 using the VirtIO driver for win2k3 instead of the defaults and also use 4 cores and 8 gigs of ram..

Last edited:
Reactions: Mam89 and Tha_14

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
@Patrick , what do you think of the read and write speed I'm getting with my Windows 10 VM? I am ecstatic. LOL

I am unsure how accurate testing inside a VM is.

But I am VERY pleased at this result.

It works GREAT for vm's for certain use cases, simple OS testing or maybe just a to use a vm for short term.

And yes it has the potential for a spectacular failure so I do not have anything important on it .

Last edited:
Reactions: Tha_14 and Patrick

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
I'm pretty sure proxmox defaults will use up to 64GB of ram for ARC, or something big like that. I ran into issues with my host (only 64GB memory) fighting with the 24GB allocated for the VMs. Not exactly sure why, as there isn't supposed to be allocation issues like that, but lowing it to 16GB max ARC works great.

Reactions: Tha_14

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I'm pretty sure proxmox defaults will use up to 64GB of ram for ARC, or something big like that. I ran into issues with my host (only 64GB memory) fighting with the 24GB allocated for the VMs. Not exactly sure why, as there isn't supposed to be allocation issues like that, but lowing it to 16GB max ARC works great.

Ram use defiantly is an issue, after three days its at 51% with no vm's currently running.

I have been playing around with vm's, running them , installing some, removing ect and ram use has been going up until I reboot then its at 1.58 gb.

Edit: Lowered it to max ARC 16 gigs.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Installed Windows 2016 Datacenter eval and it seems to be running ok

Reactions: Patrick

Klee

Jun 2, 2016

That seems to help, thanks for the tip.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I'm rethinking my cpu's, It seems more ram and clock speed are more important than lots of cores with the few vm's I run at any given time.

I have my 2660's listed for sale so I need to think about what to use in their place.

I have an unused E5-2643 v1 cpu and am thinking about getting another one and run them in this build.

The 2643's have 4 cores and 8 threads and 10 mb L3 cache each with a base clockspeed of 3.3 ghz and turbo boost of 3.5 ghz.

So far I have not come close to using all 32 cores so i'm thinking less cores at a much higher clock speed and throw in another 32 gigs of ram would improve the performance of my vm's nicely.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
With 32 cores I would be running usually 512gb ram. For regular average VM’s seems to work well, have a few cpu heavy situations where only 256gb would be needed. Of course everybody’s needs will vary but unless you doing something specific that’s very cpu intensive normally run out of RAM first.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
With 32 cores I would be running usually 512gb ram. For regular average VM’s seems to work well, have a few cpu heavy situations where only 256gb would be needed. Of course everybody’s needs will vary but unless you doing something specific that’s very cpu intensive normally run out of RAM first.

Thats why I'm thinking on reducing the number of cores and adding more ram.

I have hit over 60 % ram usage using less than 12 cores total with multiple VM's.

So 16 threads at 3.3 to 3.5 Gh/s will be more useful with the amount of ram I have available to me.

My only use case with this build is just trying new things that interest me to learn and in this case nothing that will be dedicated for any important use.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Came home and could not access the web config for the proxmox server, it still was powered on.

When I hit the power button to shut it down one hard drive made a loud CLUNK noise. :eek:

So at least one hard drive is dead, so the array look to be toast.

Next i'll put the gtx 650 back in and connect the server to a monitor and keyboard and see what it does.

LOL

It ran so nice tho....:cool:

Reactions: Tha_14