DL180 G6 12 cores !! $399 - SICK DEAL! 14 LFF RPS 8GB RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012

MACscr

May 4, 2011
You pasted the same url twice btw. So Whats the point of the other mobo? I guess I dont really know anything about Lefthand. Also, got a good source for drive trays and a second power supply? Just trying to factor in all the costs. Thanks for the heads up!

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
They charge $75 for a power supply you can get 750's or 460's just ASK THE GUY they are outstanding and will be glad to setup a custom auction for your needs (IE want 12LFF so I can have 2 x8 slots and 1 x 16 slot) - they will do it!!

The Lefthand motherboard is storageworks, it is special :) It is far higher quality than the DL180 motherboard and has ILO2 built on.

Think of it as an DL380 G6 motherboard :)

We need 8gb RDIMM ECC for cheap and I think we'd solidify that new servers are not worth it.

Seriously how much would a new DL(whatever) cost that gives the same performance and watt ratio? (6 cores 60 watts/turbo/HT times two sockets)?

I'd love to see a competitive "GEN8" versus "G6" DL180 so you can see how much slower that $599 server is compared to that $5999 server?!!!

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I'm in a continuous upgrade cycle. Find deals here, dump older stuff elsewhere. Generational moves only cost me $50/ system these days. Cool!

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
HP Proliant DL180 G6 Storage Server 2 x Six Core L5639 8GB RAM Rails 008835859909 | eBay

RAILS!!

This dude will configure it any way you want - IE want 12LFF instead? Just ask! Cool guy!

I think we can agree this deal is SICK!

Want a better motherboard? The $25 motherboard I posted above turns this into the storageworks (AKA Lefthand P4300 G2 or X1600) with full ILO2 and well not so janky bios

HP Proliant DL180 G6 Storage Server 2 x Six Core L5639 8GB RAM Rails 008835859909 | eBay
Looks like a great deal. However what do you mean about better motherboard (i want it, whats the name of it?). You did link the same thing twice.

Toddh

Jan 30, 2013
Reading through some posts on these and thinking of picking up a couple. Anyone have a good source for cheap hd trays?

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Unfortunately mobile_computer_pros only have the 14LFF version available. I just got a response from him today. Extra power supply was $70 from him and only $5 for the trays, which seemed like a good deal. Just stinks that the 12LFF isnt available. That means we only have 2 pci devices we can use, right?

Scout255

Feb 12, 2013
From the looks of the back of the 14LFF version, it seem slike their is only room for 1 LP PCIe device. I think some other people have used PCIe ribbon cables to relocate and add an additional card in there, but I don't believe it is "plug and play" sort of easy.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
From the looks of the back of the 14LFF version, it seem slike their is only room for 1 LP PCIe device. I think some other people have used PCIe ribbon cables to relocate and add an additional card in there, but I don't believe it is "plug and play" sort of easy.
Correct - with the 14LFF model you get a single LP PCIe x16 slot to play with. The rear drive bay blocks access to the other riser slot so the 3x PCIe x8 riser won't fit and there would be no room for PCIe cards even if it did.

Also correct that a PCIe 2.0 x8 flex riser (ribbon) can be snaked under and out the back of the rear drive tray. If you can deal with "ghetto" configurations then you get a 2nd PCIe slot accessible this way. I have a chassis configured this way - with a 10Gbe card in the 'normal' slot and an HBA floating behind the rear drive bays - but the ribbon lays down over some components that probably need cooling and it generally borks the airflow in that part of the chassis. I really am not comfortable with it for the long term. I wouldn't recommend it.

The 12LFF config is much more useful if you have any sort of high-speed networking (10Gbe or IB).

Last edited:

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Correct - with the 14LFF model you get a single LP PCIe x16 slot to play with. The rear drive bay blocks access to the other riser slot so the 3x PCIe x8 riser won't fit and there would be no room for PCIe cards even if it did.

Also correct that a PCIe 2.0 x8 flex riser (ribbon) can be snaked under and out the back of the rear drive tray. If you can deal with "ghetto" configurations then you get a 2nd PCIe slot accessible this way. I have a chassis configured this way - with a 10Gbe card in the 'normal' slot and an HBA floating behind the rear drive bays - but the ribbon lays down over some components that probably need cooling and it generally borks the airflow in that part of the chassis. I really am not comfortable with it for the long term. I wouldn't recommend it.

The 12LFF config is much more useful if you have any sort of high-speed networking (10Gbe or IB).
Yeah, it makes it even tougher when you want to do SAS. =/ Im to cheap for 16 port SAS cards and then if I need to add a 10gbe card, I am out of luck as you mentioned.

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah, it makes it even tougher when you want to do SAS. =/ Im to cheap for 16 port SAS cards and then if I need to add a 10gbe card, I am out of luck as you mentioned.
Not sure I follow you on the SAS part. You only need an 8-port SAS controller for this chassis. The backplane has a built-in SAS-expander. In fact, you really only need a 4-port SAS controller because the particular expander they use only supports connecting 4-lanes to support up to 14 drives (12 in the front hotswap and the two in the rear with individual cables running from the backplane to the rear cage). In other words, but 12 & 14 LFF configurations have a single 8-lane 8087 mini-SAS connector on the backplane to connect to your SAS host controller.

Avoiding the expander is pretty much impossible on the 12 or 14 LFF chassis. This is perhaps why some posters here have actually expressed a preference for the 8-drive LFF configuration - which uses individual drive cable connections to the hotswap backplane.

Last edited:

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Not sure I follow you on the SAS part. You only need an 8-port SAS controller for this chassis. The backplane has a built-in SAS-expander. In fact, you really only need a 4-port SAS controller because the particular expander they use only supports 4-lanes in to support up to 14 drives (12 in the front hotswap and the two in the rear with individual cables running from the backplane to the rear cage).
Ah, thats great information. Thanks! How common is it for servers like this to have sas expanders built in? I figured that was more maybe common with systems that were meant to work as DAS.

Lastly, is there a cage or whatever we can swap out with the rear drive cage to convert a 14LFF to a 12LFF? Is it even cost effective?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Lastly, is there a cage or whatever we can swap out with the rear drive cage to convert a 14LFF to a 12LFF? Is it even cost effective?
Yes, it exists. In theory, anyway. They show up on eBay from time to time but are pretty rare. Search "DL180 G6 PCIe Cage". Comes up with 0 matches today. Do be careful - the cage from the G5 chassis, which is much easier to find, does not fit.

You'll be in a race with a few of us if it does show up. I have a daily auto-search set up on eBay and will probably buy it immediately if it shows up (not quite without regard to price...but close).

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Ah, a little googling seems to also state that when you buy the DL180 G6 PCIe Cage, you need to buy a riser card too. Man, things really start to add up.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Tempting but the backplane is SATA I so limited to 1.5Gbps (SAS 3Gbps).

Shame as I need a unit for my SSDs and haven some credit outstanding with MCP.

RB

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Tempting but the backplane is SATA I so limited to 1.5Gbps (SAS 3Gbps).

Shame as I need a unit for my SSDs and haven some credit outstanding with MCP.

RB
Are you sure the backplane is that slow? These arent that old.