Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

davlaw

Oct 31, 2017
So just want to confirm, lb4m.5.13.12.14 is for routing w/gui

Somewhere along < lb4m.1.1.1.8 drop gui and is cli only? Switching

But gui was dropped during one of the 1.1.x versions...

Just trying to get an idea where I want to start. I have 2 units, one with and one without gui.

Takrbark3

Dec 17, 2017
Does somebody figured out the "port-security" feature how to setup?

I only get this far:
$> configure
$> port-security

This will enable the port-security, but i looking for the cisco equivalent:
$> mac address-table static XXXX.XXXX.XXXX vlan X drop

It is possible on the LB4M?

Tristan Gray

Apr 20, 2017
I'm going to beat a deadhorse again, I'm having some difficulty getting my switch setup. I've downgraded to 1.0.2.17, the WebUI is accessable via the management port. But I cannot access the switch elsewhere, I've tried network protocol DHCP, and the switch won't pull an address. Setting it statically makes no changes either.

-- The switch is unable to communicate with the default gateway/router.

Attachments

EDV

Feb 26, 2018
You only need 3 pins connected. I blindly tried Antoine's wiring from the pic and it did not work. Must be using some other cable (rolled?) with it.

I'm going from a LB4M -> CAT5 -> RJ45 to DB9 adapter -> USB to Serial adapter... here's what I have connected:

RJ45 to DB9 adapter:
Black -> Pin 2
Yellow -> Pin 3
Red -> Pin 5

View attachment 90

Hope that helps.
Already bought an adapter like figured. I am unable to connect to serial port.

We've got 2 lb4m switches. Obviously not refurbished. I've connected adapter directly to PC RS232 port. On the other hand we used a straight RJ45 patch cable. Not crossover.

I don't know, what is going so badly wrong. Maybe someone has any hints.

Adapter-Link

hekho

Oct 1, 2014
Hello all. I just got my hands on several lb4m and lb6m. Looking around I noticed I have a slightly newer firmware on the ones I got.

(Switching) #show version

Switch: 1

System Description............................. FASTPATH Switching
Machine Type................................... LB4G 48x1G 2x10G
Machine Model.................................. LB4M
Serial Number.................................. QTFCPW1290350
FRU Number..................................... 1
Part Number.................................... BCM56514
Maintenance Level.............................. A
Manufacturer................................... 0xbc00
Burned In MAC Address.......................... 00:26:9E:9B:E5:FB
Software Version............................... 1.0.3.2
Operating System............................... VxWorks5.5.1
Network Processing Device...................... BCM56514_A0
Additional Packages............................ FASTPATH QOS

(Switching) #

The web interface works as well and it has SSH.

I have eyed around the thread and saw how it is a choice of have working webui or ssh? Also it has working SFTP ability to upload/download things.

If anyone wants this firmware I can upload it.
Hi, do you still have it ? I am eager to try it. Thanks.

hekho

Oct 1, 2014
Does somebody figured out the "port-security" feature how to setup?

I only get this far:
$> configure
$> port-security

This will enable the port-security, but i looking for the cisco equivalent:
$> mac address-table static XXXX.XXXX.XXXX vlan X drop

It is possible on the LB4M?
Hi, you configure Port-security under the interface itself :
Here is a example for Vlan X:

!
interface 0/4
port-security
port-security mac-address 0C:C4:7A:CC:AA:BB X
!

hekho

Oct 1, 2014
I'm going to beat a deadhorse again, I'm having some difficulty getting my switch setup. I've downgraded to 1.0.2.17, the WebUI is accessable via the management port. But I cannot access the switch elsewhere, I've tried network protocol DHCP, and the switch won't pull an address. Setting it statically makes no changes either.

-- The switch is unable to communicate with the default gateway/router.
Hi,
It is not clear if you want to manage the switch from the Inband (Network) or Out-of-band (management port AKA Serviceport).
You may need to clarify this because I am not sure you can do both at the same time.

If you want to use In-band, make sure the network mgmt_vlan is on the same vlan as the one where you have your dhcp server. Let's say it's on vlan 10, you need to enter the following statement:

network mgmt_vlan 10

Kirill Harkin

Mar 25, 2018
Hi,

Just got LB4M switch and I'm having an annoying issue with it, and I can't figure out why...

Basically, when I use lb4m.1.1.0.8.bin or lb4m.1.1.1.8.bin firmware, I get extra (ghost) 64 ports in configuration.
0/1 - 0/50 --- are my phisical ports
5/1 --- CPU ghost port
10/1 --- Management port
3/1 - 3/64 --- I have no idea what the hell these are...

Did anyone else had this problem? Maybe someone solved it and wants to share how...

P.S. lb4m.5.13.12.14.bin solves ghost port issues but it introduces RADIUS auth issues ('enable' unavailable), inability to configure port ranges and probably something else...

P.P.S. There's really no need to tinker with console pinouts much, just buy a cheap cisco console cable and usb serial adapter off ebay...

Deathjester

Feb 20, 2017
So I've got the following:
1x Dell c6100
2x Ubiquiti Unifi AC Pro Access Points
1x LB4m
1x Allied Telesys Gbe switch
1x Ubiqiuiti EdgeRouter Pro

Modem -> EdgeRouter -> ATS ->LB4M -> c6100

One AP is connected to the ATS, the other is connected to LB4M.
There are PC's connected to the ATS switch.
I'm not sure where I should be doing the routing between the vlans: as the ATS, LB4M and EdgeRouter will all do L3.

Personally I'm thinking use the EdgeRouter to split off the Internet traffic and provide a firewall.
Then trunk the data back to the LB4M and do all of the VLAN routing on that.
I can post a diagram if required.

But any advice would be welcome.

Visseroth

Jan 23, 2016
I would start a new thread on this topic as it is separate from the discussion on the LB4M switch, even though it is about the switch. This thread was specifically about the switch, it's abilities, firmware, ect.
To answer your question, really the choice is yours, but by routing directly in the switch you'll get the most speed. If you route at the firewall you put a little more load on the firewall and you're limited by the connection speed to and from that device.

Deathjester

Feb 20, 2017
I would start a new thread on this topic as it is separate from the discussion on the LB4M switch, even though it is about the switch. This thread was specifically about the switch, it's abilities, firmware, ect.
To answer your question, really the choice is yours, but by routing directly in the switch you'll get the most speed. If you route at the firewall you put a little more load on the firewall and you're limited by the connection speed to and from that device.
Fair enough;

Although, it was somewhat self serving in the fact that I was leaning down that route.
I understand how to do that cross VLAN traffic on the EdgeRouter, however struggling with the commands for the LB4M.
Can you do access-list based on VLAN? or do I need to do it by IP range?
Code:
access-list 50 permit ip 172.20.0.0 0.0.0.255 172.20.1.0 0.0.0.255
access-list 50 deny ip any any

access-list 99 permit ip 172.20.0.0 0.255.255.255 192.169.100.0 0.255.255.255
access-list 99 deny ip any any
Or can I use:
Code:
access-list 50 permit vlan 100 vlan 200
access-list 50 deny vlan any any

access-list 99 permit vlan 100 vlan 999
access-list 99 deny vlan any any

Takrbark3

Dec 17, 2017
Hi!

Does anybody have this switches?
-Avaya 4850GTS
-Avaya 4826GTS

Maybe is possible to crossflash the firmware to LB4M, but i dont have such Avaya switches to test.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hi!

Does anybody have this switches?
-Avaya 4850GTS
-Avaya 4826GTS

Maybe is possible to crossflash the firmware to LB4M, but i dont have such Avaya switches to test.
Taking a glance over it's datasheet, it seems it's the much newer Marvell Prestera switching ASIC, same used in the brocade FCX line, so the firmware wouldn't work even if the CPU was the same and you could get ito to boot. On top of that the firmware downloads are locked to customers only. That said, if someone has access to the firmware I'd be willing to give it a try just to see.

I kind of gave up on the LB4M as it's so ancient and pulls a ton of power. For roughly the same price ($100, sometimes much less). You can get an ICX6450 - 24/48 port copper with PoE models available, 2x 10gbE SFP+ ports unlocked from the factory and 2x more that need a license, but will probably be unlocked in firmware soon since it went EOL, which would leave you a total of 4x 10gbE ports. Full L3 etc

More importantly, it's near silent and only draws 25 watts

Reactions: BackupProphet

Richard Nunez

Jun 12, 2018
I have two of these (LB4M) switches. First one arrived with a damaged SPF+ port. It was so bad I couldn't even fit the transceiver in the slot. I was able to fix that but both 10g ports wouldn't work.

The vendor was kind enough to just ship me a new one. The first thing I tried after power the sucker on was the 10g ports and they worked (ya!!!).

I flash the Router firmware (as I did with the first switch) and now the two SPF+ ports are not functional (and yes I did the 'no shutdown all' command). I have spent the last two days reading EVERY post on this forum. The closest post I found was related to an MTU setting. I tried that and it didn't work.

I did read somewhere, on this sight but not this forum, that someone tried plugging the fiber cable into both ports and they worked. I did that and found they do work. I tried this because when the unit originally arrived they were working.

Because they were working there must be some sort of setting that I am missing to get them to work. The manual, as everyone knows, is for just one thing, taking up space on my hard drive.

If anyone knows where to point me I would love to know it.

I bought a Dell PowerConnect 2848 and an HP Curve (expected today, in fact). The Dell SPF+ ports work just fine. Seems to have a slight more colorful, but still crapped web interface, but all ports are working.

This is a great forum with lots of very useful information and that alone make these switches something to own. Without the support 0f this forum these switches would be almost useless.

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I had given up on trying to come up with a crossflash for the LB4M as it's quite old and you can now get the brocade ICX6450 for only a few dollars more on ebay, which has twice the 10gbE, only draws 22 watts, and is near silent.

However @abq was nice enough to send me an LB4M! And after some exhaustive searching today I found the Extreme Networks/Enterasys C3K122 and the B5K125-48p2

They both have the ASIC we need, the BCM56514. However they also must have a MPC8541 management CPU - The C3K122 has an "MPC85xx CPU", so there's a chance it is indeed the matching 8541. I can't find much info on the CPU in the B5K125, but release notes for it do mention an L2 cache bug in the "MPC85xx processor", so there's a chance there too.

Extreme networks FW is very locked down - if someone here has a support account, please get in touch with me. I have an old contact there that I will reach out to as well, but it's been a while. Again, if you're shopping for a switch to buy there are MUCH more cost effective options, but this would be a nice bit of fresh air for people who already own LB4M's

EDIT: the B5K series is a no go, it's an MPC8378

Last edited:

k0ste

Feb 4, 2018
Hello.
What version of firmware I should install for `interface vlan <vlanid>` menu is activated?
Currently I can't assign ipaddr to vlan interface:

Code:
(Routing) #show bootvar

Image Descriptions

image1 : default image
 image2 : 

Images currently available on Flash

--------------------------------------------------------------------
 unit      image1      image2     current-active        next-active
--------------------------------------------------------------------

1  5.13.12.14     1.1.0.8             image1             image1

(Routing) #configure

(Routing) (Config)#interface ? 

<slot/port>              Enter an interface in slot/port format.
loopback                 Configuration of Loopback Interface.

(Routing) (Config)#interface
Thanks.

k0ste

Feb 4, 2018
I'm using my LB4M as a switch, so I'm not sure about routing, but, maybe, this will help: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...rwarding-l3-packets-to-default-gateway.15887/

This part:

And this part:

5.13 is a routing firmware, so it should work...
Thank you, but it doesn't.

Code:
(Routing) (Config)#ip routing

(Routing) (Config)#ex     

(Routing) #
<9> DEC 05 09:00:27 10.100.10.1-1 UNKN[215168256]: cli_web_api.c(1091) 117 % CLI:EIA-232:root:EXIT FROM CONFIGMODE

(Routing) #vlan database

(Routing) (Vlan)#vlan routing 1000

(Routing) (Vlan)#ex

(Routing) #
<9> DEC 05 09:00:41 10.100.10.1-1 UNKN[215168256]: cli_web_api.c(1091) 118 % CLI:EIA-232:root:EXIT FROM CONFIGMODE

(Routing) #configure  

(Routing) (Config)#interface ?

<slot/port>              Enter an interface in slot/port format.
loopback                 Configuration of Loopback Interface.

(Routing) (Config)#interface