Peplink - Barracuda - anybody using it - SD-WAN-alternatives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Stril

Sep 26, 2017
Hi!

I am looking for a nice SD-WAN-solution.
I need to connect some branch offices - everyone with 2-3 ISPs with my HQ (with two ISPs).

The goal is to have a nice soluation that can do active packet-by-packet-loadbalancing.
--> Using the combined bandwidth
--> Failover with nearly zero-downtime of the tunnel

In the past, I have used Viprinet for those demands, but viprinet is on bankruptcy.

Can you recommend me any solution?
- Peplink?
- Barracuda?
- ...something else?

I do not only want a failover. I need bandwidth/latency-autotuning, as I need to combine different ISPs like 3G, 4G, DSL, etc. and some of them have a high variability on their bandwidth.

Thank you for your help

Stril

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Hi!

I am looking for a nice SD-WAN-solution.
I need to connect some branch offices - everyone with 2-3 ISPs with my HQ (with two ISPs).

The goal is to have a nice soluation that can do active packet-by-packet-loadbalancing.
--> Using the combined bandwidth
--> Failover with nearly zero-downtime of the tunnel

In the past, I have used Viprinet for those demands, but viprinet is on bankruptcy.

Can you recommend me any solution?
- Peplink?
- Barracuda?
- ...something else?

I do not only want a failover. I need bandwidth/latency-autotuning, as I need to combine different ISPs like 3G, 4G, DSL, etc. and some of them have a high variability on their bandwidth.

Thank you for your help

Stril
I've been thru: FatIP, Ecessa, Peplink. All total disappointments. Finally landed on Mushroom Networks. They are EXACTLY what you're looking for. Tech support is brilliant. Been happy with them for ages, but now speeds are cheap enough we don't really need them anymore. Been decommissioning them.

Stril

Sep 26, 2017
Hi!

Sounds good, but I think, its hard to get mushroom-routers in Germany. I will try to find a reseller.
One of the Barracuda SE did show me the system yesterday and is is looking VERY promising...

Stril

Sep 26, 2017
Hi!

Can you tell me something about the problems with peplink? Was it unstable or just not as fast as it should be?

ue-it

Jul 26, 2018
Hi Stril,

we are Peplink Gold Partner in Germany and did a lot of such deployments. We can offer demo devices for a low fee so you can test your deployment. As for all other SD-WAN competitors the sizing of the deploymet depends on the amount of WAN-Links and the expected tunnel throughput. With the creation of subtunnels you are able to link uplinks on both sides together and apply outbound policies on the subtunnel.
Find more Information on https://ue-it.com.

Regards
Theo

Stril

Sep 26, 2017
Hi!

Thank you for your offer, but I already found a partner.

Just for the forum:
I tested both - Barracuda and Peplink.

Barracuda:
Great devices with VERY poor SD-WAN-implementation.
- Centralized management is the best one, I ever saw
- Distributed firewall with objects
- TINA-tunnels (VPN) are easy to manage
BUT:
- TINA-tunnels with multiple "transports" do not work as they should. Multiple SEs have not been able to accomplish that always the tunnel with the best latency is active. Packet loss was not handled, too - the system did stay on the lossy connection...

Peplink:
Good routers, not firewalls
- Centralized management is o.k., but not very powerful compared to Barracuda
- No "NG-firewall"
- No firewall-objects
- No working CLI
- Only one device with redundant power supply
- EASY to setup!!!
- Great SD-WAN and SD-WAN-VPN!!!
--> I ordered some of the devices. They are mostly routers - not firewalls, but SD-WAN is working as it should. If you buy the Speedfusion-license, failover on failed WAN-connections is handled without downtime or less than 5 seconds.
I will combine them with a fortigate-cluster to add real firewall functions.

Stril

Reactions: aero

Logan Campbell

Jul 13, 2020
Hi!

Thank you for your offer, but I already found a partner.

Just for the forum:
I tested both - Barracuda and Peplink.

Barracuda:
Great devices with VERY poor SD-WAN-implementation.
- Centralized management is the best one, I ever saw
- Distributed firewall with objects
- TINA-tunnels (VPN) are easy to manage
BUT:
- TINA-tunnels with multiple "transports" do not work as they should. Multiple SEs have not been able to accomplish that always the tunnel with the best latency is active. Packet loss was not handled, too - the system did stay on the lossy connection...

Peplink:
Good routers, not firewalls
- Centralized management is o.k., but not very powerful compared to Barracuda
- No "NG-firewall"
- No firewall-objects
- No working CLI
- Only one device with redundant power supply
- EASY to setup!!!
- Great SD-WAN and SD-WAN-VPN!!!
--> I ordered some of the devices. They are mostly routers - not firewalls, but SD-WAN is working as it should. If you buy the Speedfusion-license, failover on failed WAN-connections is handled without downtime or less than 5 seconds.
I will combine them with a fortigate-cluster to add real firewall functions.

Stril
Still,

You should have a look at www.multapplied.net .