New (Used) 24 Bay Home Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
Just Got my 24 Bayer SM Server. Those are 10 TB HGSTs have 3 more coming. And a S3500 480 for boot.

This Is what I got from Tam Solutions on EBay - Supermicro 24Bay Chassis BPN-SAS2-846EL1 Intel 2.4GHz 12GB X8DTi X520-DA2 9286CV

• Chassis Manufacturer: Supermicro
  • Backplane: BPN-SAS2-846EL1
  • Motherboard: X8DTi
  • Processor: 1x Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5530 @ 2.4GHz
  • RAM: 16GB 3x 4GB
  • RAM Slots: 12 total slots
  • Hard Drive : None
  • # Power Supplies: 2 x 900 W
  • HD Controller: LSI MR SAS 9271-8icc
  • Network Card: X520-DA2 10GB
  • Raid Controller: LSI SAS 9286CV-8E
Planning on W10 with Snap Raid and Drive Pool/Scanner

Last edited:

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
OK Had time this morning to boot it for the first time - sounds like the obligatory jet turbine that a serve should sound like but obviously too Noise for our Great Room. Been looking at various threads to see how folks silence them. I pulled the 2nd PSU and that silenced the long beep.

So question - is most of the noise from the 5 fans in the chassis - the 3 behind the backplane and the 2 at the rear?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
If you have sq psus, yes.

Are the Fans Connected to the Motherboard or to the Backplane?

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
The fans are connected to the board. I changed the setting for the Fans to super quiet in the BIOS and that made a BIG difference. Now the PSU is more noisy than the fans. The PSU is a PWS 902-1R.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
I took out the raid cards that came with the server and installed the HP H220s and installed on 10 TB drive which was detected. I want to confirm the HP cards are already in IT Mode with V13 FW. If there was An IR then they'd be Integreate Raid mode right?

Is the v13 FW IT Mode good enough for Snap Raid?

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
So i got a 920 SQ off ebay but the ends are bent:

I'm gonna do a return - seller is being good about. He did offer to send another one but he checked and didn't have any more

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
W10 Pro, DrivePool (trial for Now) and Snapraid are installed. So I've one aprity drive for now, and 4x10TB Data drives installed. One 10TB Is currently in an extenral dock on my workstations and I've got more 10TBs coming. I'll be doing a second parity drives so will 6x10TB Data drives for now.From what i've read i'll need quad parity with 20 data drives.

So next question is how best to organize things now? I've been reading various threads espcially over at r/datahoarder on Snapraid and Drivepool. The way i want to organize my data is in the following physical folders - CNN, FoxNews, FBN, MSNBC, Transcripts, Photos, TV Shows, Movies so that the all the appropriate content is together - for example all the CNN Recordings are toegther etc. From what I've read some folks recommend creating a Pool in Drivepool for TV, one for Movies etc. And in Snapraid the data pointer in the config file should point to the to Poolpart folder(s) rather than the root. And i saw one recommend where someone recommending turning off drive letters and instead use folders as the mount points. So honestly I'm confused as to how best set things up. If anyone here has advice they can share, that'd be great but if not i'll post at datahoarder or elsewhere.

This is the config i have set up:

parity D:\Parity\snapraid.parity
content D:\snapraid.content
content F:\snapraid.content
data 10TB3 F:\
data 10TB4 H:\
data 10TB5 E:\
data 10TB6 I:\

Last edited:

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
So after reading a bunch over at r/datahoarder I think I've Got Snapraid configured correctly using the PoolPart.xxx folders that Drivepool. Now the only hitch is that from a cold boot, the drives don't appear - i have to reboot to get the drives to appear in Windows and to get the Drive Pool to show up.

May 4, 2015
I never bothered with Snapraid honestly. The "video" portion of my setup can all be replaced and isnt that critical to me. The critical stuff (personal files, photos, music, work files) are duplicated across all the drives using Drivepools folder duplication. I have this set to 6 drives.

For me this is more than enough as my drives are a mix of 3, 6, and 8's

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
This actually doesn't look too bad. The aluminum tabs are very soft so it most likely will get damage. I would just bend it back.

Used server hardware, especially heavy items, are not taken cared of with white gloves. They are built to take a beating so as long as there's nothing rattling around inside and it powers up. It's good for years.

So i got a 920 SQ off ebay but the ends are bent:

I'm gonna do a return - seller is being good about. He did offer to send another one but he checked and didn't have any more

Reactions: Tha_14

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
This actually doesn't look too bad. The aluminum tabs are very soft so it most likely will get damage. I would just bend it back.

Used server hardware, especially heavy items, are not taken cared of with white gloves. They are built to take a beating so as long as there's nothing rattling around inside and it powers up. It's good for years.
I agree. I'd bent those back to their original position after confirming it works. You could avoid all the hassle if you didn't pay too much for it really..

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
I actually tried that - bending them back but it would not slide into the top bay. It did slide into the bottom PSU Bay but getting it back out was nearly impossible - require a lot of leverage. There's that one coroner that's damaged - not sure if that is what caused the issue. But it much much harder than the exisiting PSUs to get out.

Stefan75

Jan 22, 2018
Switzerland
I really like Snapraid, but I use it without Drivepool.
I have 13 data disks and 2 parity disks, each with a drive letter (might change to folder mounting in the future).
You could just spread the data to each disk by topic (CNN, FoxNews, FBN, MSNBC, Transcripts, Photos, TV Shows, Movies).
You'll have to level out the space by yourself though ;)

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
I have 13 data disks and 2 parity disks, each with a drive letter (might change to folder mounting in the future)
Do you know what advantage folder mounts provide, if any? No one seems to really explain why it's a good idea over r/datahoarder or at least that i found.

Stefan75

Jan 22, 2018
Switzerland
Do you know what advantage folder mounts provide, if any? No one seems to really explain why it's a good idea over r/datahoarder or at least that i found.
Well, if I really fill up my 24 bay case, I'll run out of drive letters ;)
Otherwise I don't see any benefit in folder mounting.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
So just an update i ordered another 920 SQ PSU from eBay using the Father's Day coupon and guess what - it's dead. So i'm 0/2 on the 920s