IBM M1015 Firmware - What to flash with

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Metaluna

Dec 30, 2010
Metaluna, have you been able to get your drives to spin down or sleep on the M1015 in SE11?
I haven't really tried it. I wouldn't even know how to attempt it frankly, but I can give it a try if someone can point me at a howto.

Mindflux

Feb 15, 2011
Well I just tried to.

Code:
./MegaCli -adpfwflash -f imr_fw.rom -a0

Adapter 0: ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA Controller
Vendor ID: 0x1000, Device ID: 0x0073

Package version on the controller: 20.10.1-0020 
Package version of the image file: 20.10 
ERROR: The image file has older version than or same as that on the 
       controller. The controller is not flashed.
LSI lists this as 20.10.1-0029 ... but MegaCli suggests differently. Going to pass -NoVerCheck with the flash.

Metaluna

Dec 30, 2010
I had the same problem, but got it to flash via the Megaraid Storage Manager. Here's what MegaCLI reports on mine:

Code:
./MegaCli -AdpAllInfo -aALL

Adapter #0

==============================================================================
                    Versions
                ================
Product Name    : ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA Controller
Serial No       : SP03xxxxxx
FW Package Build: 20.10.1-0029

Mfg. Data
                ================
Mfg. Date       : 08/11/10
Rework Date     : 00/00/00
Revision No     : 
Battery FRU     : N/A

Image Versions in Flash:
                ================
BIOS Version       : 4.21.00_4.11.05.00_0x05000000
Preboot CLI Version: 03.02-015:#%00008
WebBIOS Version    : 4.0-44-e_32-Rel
NVDATA Version     : 3.09.03-0011
FW Version         : 2.120.24-1181
Boot Block Version : 2.02.00.00-0001

Pending Images in Flash
                ================
None

PCI Info
                ================
Vendor Id       : 1000
Device Id       : 0073
SubVendorId     : 1014
SubDeviceId     : 03b1

doppio

Mar 11, 2011
France
Hi

I find this post while looking for how to flash IBM M1015.
I don't know if i can ask my question here or If that need new topic.

I've found firmware but I have another problem :

my card isn't detected when I type megacli commands.
I can log in card configuration menu.
The card come from new IBM server: it has been changed by a card with battery.

Below is the message i receive:

B:\LSI>megacli -AdpAllInfo -aALL

Exit Code: 0x01

B:\LSI>
B:\LSI>
B:\LSI>MegaCli -adpfwflash -f imr_fw.rom -a0

ERROR:Could not detect controller.
Failed to get ControllerId List.
Failed to get CpController object.

Exit Code: 0x01
Can anyone help me ?

thanks

regards

MasterCATZ

Jun 8, 2011
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.15

IBM M1015 ^^ IT ^^ Firmware

Re: LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »

Ok, here is long-awaited, short HOW-TO... reflash IBM m1015, LSI 9240-8i, Intel RS2WC080 (SAS2008 SATAIII) controllers to IT-mode!!!

First off, create a standard bootable DOS USB Flash Drive.

Download and unpack tools from http://www.mediafire.com/?x1t5z0qyohnhopf to USB flash root directory.

System req: ONLY ONE LSI card in your system at reflash time!!!

Boot from USB Flash Drive Smiley

1. Save original sbr (serial boot rom) - i have only original IBM 1015 sbr file, another (intel/LSI) controller users, pls, upload and share
your sbr files in this forum!

Megarec -readsbr 0 backup.sbr

2. Write clean sbr file to controller:

megarec -writesbr 0 empty.bin

3. Erase controller Flash (Yes, this is safe procedure)

megarec -cleanflash 0

4. Power cycle your system (yes, no boot-time bios screen appear, this is normal)

5. Reflash controller to IT-mode.

sas2flsh -o -f 2108it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

6. Program SAS address in IT-mode:

sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx

where "500605bxxxxxxxxx" SAS address from small green sticker on yor card, without "-"

All done Smiley

Pros: You have low-cost(65$ on ebay), fast, high-quality LSI 9210-8i Unraid 5.6a+ compatible controller. IT-mode Wink

http://lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/internal/sas9210-8i/index.html

Cons:

1. No hdd spindown.

Workaround:

add "hdparm -S242 /dev/sdX" in boot script and poweroff.sh (program spindown after wake-on)

2. Hdd Temp/Smart att. do not show in Unmenu/Mymain

Workaround: find and delete all strings

"-d ata" from "smartctl -a -d ata" in unmain scripts

==============================================================

It is possibly to re-flash controller back?
Yes.

Megarec -writesbr 0 m1015.bin

Download LSI 9240-8i firmware from lsi site: http://lsi.com/storage_home/product...as/entry_line/megaraid_sas_9240-8i/index.html
Extract imr_fw.rom file.

MegaRec -m0flash 0 imr_fw.rom

Power cycle your system

Megacli -adpfacdefset -a0

Rreboot

Waaaaiiiittt (about ~3 min frosen boot-screen)

All done!

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
No comments? I'm afraid to flash this myself. I'm still testing the M1015 w/ZFS but if I have problems, I will give this a shot. Worst case is I have a $35 paperweight.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
You paid an insanely low $35 for a SAS2008 based card and you're paranoid about bricking it? :) That's the whole reason to buy these low cost cards instead of the $250 retail equivalent, is for testing and experimentation.

Last edited:

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
:D I know, I know. I guess the real question is whether flashing is really even necessary. From all accounts that I am aware of, there have been no issues with the current raid firmware and the M1015s and Solaris. If the RAID card truly passes these through as an HBA does anyway when unconfigured, what is the benefit of flashing? I guess I could flash to test it out, but I do not have any spares. I suppose I could buy two extra though too.

Overall I'm just not seeing the purpose at this point.

Last edited:

MasterCATZ

Jun 8, 2011
MY issue has been my OS (freeBSD 8.2 )has not been able to support the 9240 Firmware and that I could not access the cards Setup ( my p5b just seems to hate other cards BIOS's and they never start up :S) do I could not Configure as JBOD

I would still like to see what options IT mode has but Configuration still does not load for me :S

My Main Issue now seems to be how to change the Device ID

Mainboard BIOS see's all HDD's
FreeBSD BTX loader See's all the HDD's but when FreeBSD boots it Does not load the card

pci4: <mass storage, SAS> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)

currently Device ID is set as

none2@pci0:4:0:0: class=0x010700 card=0x30401000 chip=0x00721000 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'LSI Logic (Was: Symbios Logic, NCR)'
class = mass storage
subclass = SAS

any one know the Numbers for IT mode ? iMR IR

Last edited:

john4200

Jan 1, 2011
In fact, over at [H]ardForum it was stated that the raid firmware experiences less trouble than the IT firmware.
No, that is not what I wrote. I wrote that I have been using the 9240-8i firmware on my M1015 with the megaraid_sas linux driver, and that I think the megaraid_sas linux driver is less buggy than the mpt2sas driver that would be used with the IT firmware, since I have seen some bug reports for mpt2sas and IT firmware LSI cards. But I think it is driver related, not firmware related. So if you are using a different OS (and therefore different driver), my comments about the linux drivers are not relevant.

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
No, that is not what I wrote. I wrote that I have been using the 9240-8i firmware on my M1015 with the megaraid_sas linux driver, and that I think the megaraid_sas linux driver is less buggy than the mpt2sas driver that would be used with the IT firmware, since I have seen some bug reports for mpt2sas and IT firmware LSI cards. But I think it is driver related, not firmware related. So if you are using a different OS (and therefore different driver), my comments about the linux drivers are not relevant.
I stand corrected. That's what I get for not referencing the post and typing on my phone :)

Metaluna

Dec 30, 2010
:D I know, I know. I guess the real question is whether flashing is really even necessary. From all accounts that I am aware of, there have been no issues with the current raid firmware and the M1015s and Solaris. If the RAID card truly passes these through as an HBA does anyway when unconfigured, what is the benefit of flashing? I guess I could flash to test it out, but I do not have any spares. I suppose I could buy two extra though too.

Overall I'm just not seeing the purpose at this point.
The only reason I can think of, as john4200 touched on, is if you have some compatibility problem with the card when it is using its default firmware "personality" of being an M1015/9240-8i. For example FreeBSD doesn't have a driver for this card built-in, and LSI's driver is out of date, hard to compile, and kind of sketchy overall. But, they do apparently support the IT-mode HBAs in the current kernels. I also remember reading somewhere about possible problems with the M1015 in ESXi when using hardware passthrough to the VM. Linux and Solaris drivers appear to be pretty solid though.

Supercat

May 17, 2011
Quick silly question for you guys.

IT-mode does not enable the Raid5 features on this card.
The only way to do that is to purchase an Advance Key.

Are the 2 above statements correct?

Metaluna

Dec 30, 2010
Quick silly question for you guys.

IT-mode does not enable the Raid5 features on this card.
The only way to do that is to purchase an Advance Key.

Are the 2 above statements correct?
That sounds about right. In fact flashing the IT-mode firmware is the exact opposite of what you want to do if you want any kind of RAID support, since the whole point of IT mode is to disable the RAID functionality and turn the card into a simple HBA.

I believe to use the RAID 5 key, you need to keep the stock firmware, i.e. the MegaRAID firmware, in place.

SantaSCSI

May 22, 2011
I just got my M1015 in themail and am now trying to flash it.
I booted into an ArchLinux livecd and the card was found automatically when checking lspci
02:00.0 RAID bus controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS 9240 (rev 02)
However when i want to flash the latest firmware the sas2flash utility comes with the following message
No LSI SAS adapters found!
That all sounds a bit conflicting.
The problem is that I have no SAS-SATA breakout cables to test the card with a SATA drive to check whether its all seen or not ... .

john4200

Jan 1, 2011
I think you want megacli if you are running linux. But I found it easier to flash my M1015 using DOS.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Flashing IT firmware with megacli?

I have to say this is all really confusing. I found the thread about using sas2flsh to flash 2108it.bin as the firmware and sas2mpt.rom as the bios, but on 3 different boxes, I get the 'unable to initialize PAL' error :( So I boot ubuntu linux and install megacli. It can actually see the board, but it isn't at all clear to me how you use megacli to do the same thing (e.g. burn a firmware AND bios rom file at the same time.)

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Almost forgot: one motivation for wanting to flash the IT firmware is that my card causes ESXi to hang on boot, loading the megaraid_sas driver. I think I saw where to get a possibly fixed driver, but it would be nice not to have to deal with that...