BRAND NEW HGST 4TB SAS HUS726040ALS214 for under $70 ($55 for qty >= 10)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
BTW guys... I've completed testing my first batch of 20 of these HDDs. Sadly, I did find 2 drives that were a bit weak. 1 keeps failing SMART short tests. and a 2nd one also fails SMART short/long tests, but also failed badblocks and showed several (20+) uncorrectable read errors. I contacted them through ebay (since my 1st order was via ebay) and they said they would replace it after they receive the problematic drives. That would be about 2 weeks (1 wk transit time between seller and me) to get them replaced. I contacted Scott about this and they are sending out replacements ASAP without first receiving the return ones! So, in general, it is advantageous to work with Scott directly if you have problems, but they don't have any issues replacing drives if required.

if these are truly brand new drives, as they seem to be with all indications so far, i'm not that surprised to have found a couple of bad ones. in general i find more problems with brand new drives than i do with drives that have a few thousand hours on them. as someone else also mentioned, slightly used drives that haven't exhibited any issues tend to be the good ones after weeding out the problematic ones of the batch.

Reactions: Patriot and Myth

Myth

Feb 27, 2018
Los Angeles
that need 12Gbps SAS. of course, these days NVMe SSDs exceed the the SAS3/12Gbps spec easily.
Yeah NVMe that's where the real performance is. Too bad they are not hot swap-able. I built a server with x12 NVMe drives and get around 20,000MBps sequential read/write. Problem with NVMe drives is that there are no controllers out there to raid them other than storage pools in 2016, AMD's Raidxpert2, and HighPoint controller.

It seems that the mirror feature of Storage Pools 2016 reduces the write speed to around 800MBps, but in raid 0 the write speeds are about 5000MBps on one IO. AMD's Raidxpert2 only works with threadripper boards, and HighPoint is designed for high end workstations. I'm still struggling to use NVMe in the enterprise environment on windows, even without hot swap technology I think the speeds might justify that negative.

We do have a Linux machine with our custom RAID software which makes a RAID 6 out of the NVMe drives, which is awesome. But we need are searching for a windows alternative because our metadata controller runs on windows.

Also I've heard of an INTEL backplane that can handle 4 NVMe hot swab-able drives. But I can't figure out if I can buy it separately or if it only works in some prebuilt DELL or HP server.

aqxea

Aug 28, 2016
Tulsa, OK
I ordered 12 that should arrive today. Do these come with standard HGST firmware, or NetApp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I ordered 12 that should arrive today. Do these come with standard HGST firmware, or NetApp?
The SMART info section is posted in the OP. However, I'm not sure how to tell which firmware these drives come with. There's no mention of NetApp anywhere in the SMART info section. The drives are working fine connected to a Supermicro SAS2-826EL1 backplane and a LSI 2308 controller in my test rig.

Jan 4, 2014
They are working with a LSI SAS2308, so I see no reason why they wouldn't work with a SAS2008 based card. as long as you don't have some sort of SATA only backplane between the M1015 and these SAS HDDs, should work just fine.
have these running of a 9211 and a m1015 reflashed for quite some time now..
a year or 2 , runs perfect

send from a mobile device, so typo's are to be expected

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
damn, excellent deal if you're in the US
prices are a lot higher here in EU :(

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I ordered 16. But Scott refused to send to my freight forwarder in the US (Shipito) because my paypal listed address is not a US one.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
My first 4 arrived sunday, was also testing the waters going to start running badblocks on them. Mine were not as cushioned as yours. :(
I would prefer an inch of foam to 2 thin sheets of bubble wrap. Mine did arrive sealed in antistatic with no carriers.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
damn, excellent deal if you're in the US
prices are a lot higher here in EU :(
He does ship to the EU, but shipping is a bit costly (and potentialy import tax). Still cheaper for me at least.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
The packaging can use significant improvements. Mine arrived in a box with minimal padding. The HDD are up against one side of the box.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Hope overseas packaging is better. It's in the customs now, so should know in a couple of days.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
The packaging can use significant improvements. Mine arrived in a box with minimal padding. The HDD are up against one side of the box.
Hope overseas packaging is better. It's in the customs now, so should know in a couple of days.
I don't know what happened, but my 2nd order of 20x HDDs also came in less impressive packaging. my first order, as seen in the OP was well packed and the anti-static bags were heat sealed and protected by thick foam as seen in the photos. My 2nd order was in a box with a single sheet of bubble wrap on top. The drives were at least in some sort of plastic spacer made for hard drives. The hard drives themselves were in oversized anti-static bags with a sticker seal.

If you guys aren't impressed by the way your order was shipped, you should contact Scott and let him know you were expecting the same kind of packaging as I posted in the OP.

Reactions: nle

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
@BLinux have you been able to check the warranty? Ultrastar comes with 5 years and if these were made at end of 2016 should be covered to end of 2021. Great find!

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Just got home from the PO with mine now. It looks like the box got a few scratches on the way over, but I'm impressed with the packaging.
(obviously not tested the drives yet)

Unboxing:

Reactions: BLinux

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@BLinux have you been able to check the warranty? Ultrastar comes with 5 years and if these were made at end of 2016 should be covered to end of 2021. Great find!
I doubt there will be warranty. As seen in the listing, these drives were originally for NetApp appliances, I think specifically their E-series disk shelves. So, the warranty would be through NetApp is my guess, but since these have been parted out, I doubt NetApp would honor any warranty without the owning the NetApp device they were meant for...

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Just got home from the PO with mine now. It looks like the box got a few scratches on the way over, but I'm impressed with the packaging.
(obviously not tested the drives yet)

Unboxing:
Great! you basically got the same type of packaging I did in my first order. My 2nd order did not come in that type of box. It looks like for multiple orders up to 10, you get the foam box, for orders > 10, you get something else...

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
BTW, for all those interested in these or have ordered. My 1st two orders were for 10 drives each. Out of the 1st two orders, I found 2 bad drives (or, weak drives, had some uncorrectable errors, failed SMART short+long tests). By the time I was done testing, I had already placed a 3rd order for 20. When the 3rd order arrived, for some reason there were only 19. I contacted Scott about the missing one and the 2 defective ones; he immediately sent out 3 replacements. Once I got the 19+3 replacement drives, I started running them through my normal "burn-in" process, which is basically a full 4-pass with badblocks, followed by SMART test; in total, it writes/reads about 16TB of data over 50-60 hours straight on each drive. I'm happy to report the last 22 drives passed the entire 50-60 hour test with flying colors and zero errors.

I think these drives are good. A point brought forth by @chinesestunna about warranty should be noted though; I don't think these will have HGST warranty even though they are 2016 drives, but at this price you can buy extras and "self warranty". This is essentially what I did, I needed 36, but I have 40 now so that I have 4 spares.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
I only ordered seven. I need six and bought one extra as a spare. But it could also be that the packaging was so good because of the shipping to EU.

I'm not testing as thoroughly as you apparently are at all, I'm just switching out the drives in my ZFS pool one by one. It's a raidz2, so I should be good for two simultaneous fails. Also everything important is backed up offsite. (And I will still have my old 2TB drives, but I'm not sure if that will work since I'm switching them out one by one).

Last edited:

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Update. My third drive replacement (& resilvering) was a DOA. It spins up, but makes high pitch noises. I let it be to see, but after the resilvering my pool was degraded because of too many checksum errors.

I pulled the drive and put in a new one. I hope that was the only one (since I only ordered one extra).

I guess I should contact the seller to see what they want to do.