Dell Perc H730 (SAS3108 based controller)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rsumperl

May 18, 2017
Good afternoon everyone,
Before I make a "financial" mistake on eBay, has anyone ever used a Dell Perc H730 (SAS3108 based controller) in something other than a Dell? Specifically an Intel S2600CP4 server board. Can the Dell Perc H730 be flashed to something else?

Thanks
Rays-l1600.jpg

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
Did you got your answer?
I’m anxious on getting same raid controller for my old server.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I don't know about this H730, but I have a H330 which is LSI SAS3008 chipset based HBA/IR SAS controller, and so far, it has not been possible to flash LSI firmware on it. I can't even flash updated Dell firmware right now because I don't have a Dell system that will allow Dell's firmware update to run. Since these are of the same Dell generation, I suspect you'll have similar issues.

If your plan is to flash to some LSI firmware, I would not count on this H730.

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
I don't know about this H730, but I have a H330 which is LSI SAS3008 chipset based HBA/IR SAS controller, and so far, it has not been possible to flash LSI firmware on it. I can't even flash updated Dell firmware right now because I don't have a Dell system that will allow Dell's firmware update to run. Since these are of the same Dell generation, I suspect you'll have similar issues.

If your plan is to flash to some LSI firmware, I would not count on this H730.

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
The H330 can be ordered from dell in precision desktops and i have seen all kinds of them in optiplex workstations. If you have one around just plug it in and you shoud be able to see it with all functionality

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
The H330 can be ordered from dell in precision desktops and i have seen all kinds of them in optiplex workstations. If you have one around just plug it in and you shoud be able to see it with all functionality
I'm not sure what you're referring to? I don't have any Dell machines of recent generations around. And as far as the H330 functionality, I don't have any issues with that. The question above was regarding cross flashing to LSI firmware; which I have not found a way to do so.

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
Sorry, think that might have come across wrong what i meant was try flashing it to a LSI controller from a dell computer that supports its current configuration if you have one available. Just trying to get it to drop its guard.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Sorry, think that might have come across wrong what i meant was try flashing it to a LSI controller from a dell computer that supports its current configuration if you have one available. Just trying to get it to drop its guard.
ah! thanks for the suggestion.. unfortunately, the problem is 2-fold: 1) I don't have a Dell computer that is recent. and 2) the "restrictions" isn't usually from the computer when using LSI tools to cross flash. the problem is that sas3flash doesn't recognize the H330's firmware and won't work with it. and there's no megarec equivalent that works with the SAS3008 chipsets. on other SAS3008 cards, like the M1215, you can set a jumper that puts the card in a firmware flashing mode that will take any firmware; but H330 doesn't have this jumper or at least it's not obvious.

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
Hello,
Came across this post and just wanted to mention that i have the s2600cp2j board and it RAID based off of the LSI controller built int0 it and i dont know if you have tried it but it really is LSI. spun up all different configs of arrays on it and then physically moved them to my LSI controller and it found them every time. Honestly i wish i had your board because mine is not expandable due to the config but I think yours would have shipped with the activation key.

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
HUH now this has me thinking. I deal with alot of OEM Equipment at work and i learned a long time ago that most companies dont want to pay to redevelope something when they can buy rights to one that is already in production. Putting this on my list. I am willing to bet that the points are there and they are just waiting to be found. Darn-it i see already this forum is going to make me ask my self things like whats more important storage and speed or food and sleep.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Last time I checked you can use 7-zip to extract against the dell dup exe file to extract the payload rom?

Reactions: vanfawx