New Supermicro CSE-846TQ-R1200B 24bay Chassis w/ 2X1200 watt PSUs - $500

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Makes it the same price or less than a Norco plus big power supply. Logo no big deal unless you're reselling. I'm going to state that compared to the Norco, the Supermicro is way better quality plus has redundant supplies

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
What bout the $599 DL380 with 2 l5639 with 4 x4 HBA ($50~) and+8 SFF ($75) internal - 4 MSA60/70 $99 each and ZFS ??

108 SFF drives, put the 8 internal as SSD - maybe even consider the P420/1GB FBWC with HP SMARTPATH (NEW! FASTPATH! FREE) and SAAP 2.0 (HP SMARTCACHE).

$5000 for 108 SSD and skip all the caching!

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Looks like a very good deal but the seller is not allowing questions to be asked and does not allow international shipping.

Cannot even ask if I can arrange my own shipping. Would like to get a couple of these otherwise.

oh and my wallet hates it when I come here :D.

RB

Last edited:

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
I purchased a used SM 846 from TamSolutions direct (not through eBay) a couple of months ago. I used Paypal, smooth transaction, packaging was great, unit was in really good shape.

The contact information that I have is as follows ...

Andy at Tamsolutions
801-796-1696
tamsolutions@hotmail.com

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I purchased a used SM 846 from TamSolutions direct (not through eBay) a couple of months ago. I used Paypal, smooth transaction, packaging was great, unit was in really good shape.

The contact information that I have is as follows ...

Andy at Tamsolutions
801-796-1696
tamsolutions@hotmail.com
Thanks for that. I have emailed them and we will see what they say.

RB

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Tempted on this certainly. Controller is cheap. 8x SSD s are expensive

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The used units are the 'old' 846 series design. The biggest problem with these units for SOHO is the noise. The use the old fans and - in addition to being 'non 80 plus' - the PSu has just a crazy loud fan in it. The $399 used chassis deal has been discussed over on AVS forum forum for quite a while now. If you read through those threads you'll see that most people either tolerate the noise or spend about $200 replacing fans and PSU to make them quiet enough for use. This makes the brand new $499 deal quite attractive.

Btw, Dba: I hate you. Or at least my wallet does...

Scout255

Feb 12, 2013
The used units are the 'old' 846 series design. The biggest problem with these units for SOHO is the noise. The use the old fans and - in addition to being 'non 80 plus' - the PSu has just a crazy loud fan in it. The $399 used chassis deal has been discussed over on AVS forum forum for quite a while now. If you read through those threads you'll see that most people either tolerate the noise or spend about $200 replacing fans and PSU to make them quiet enough for use. This makes the brand new $499 deal quite attractive.

Yea, that’s why the $499 unit is much more attractive for me as well. More efficient, newer design, etc. I also believe that some of the newer E5/E3 Xeon motherboards will not fit in the older chassis without some type of modification (i.e. dremeling). On the majority of supermicro's motherboard info pages it states "Important Chassis Note: To support the new generation Intel® Xeon® processor-based motherboards, Revision M chassis is recommended. Please talk to your sales representative for details.". Revision M came out with the E5/E3 xeon's, so the AMD servers are definately not rev M. I believe the heat sink mounting on the newer style Intel boards will not work with older chassis without some type of modification. You may want to mention this on your main page article.

I rembember on the HardForum someone complained about buying a new chasis and not having Rev M, Supermicro support stated that it is possible that with some modification it may work, but they would not divulge what those modifications were.

Now if there were cheap used motherboards out there that supported duel Xeon 5600 series chips we'd be in business.....

Last edited:

mini-me01

Aug 6, 2013
If anyone is interested in a new 24 bay supermicro chassis, this seems to be a really good deal (more than 50% off). They appear to be personalized cases with a company name on top, but for home use that shouldn't be that big of a deal.

New Supermicro 846TQ CSE 846TQ R1200B Chassis 24 Bay SATA SAS 4U Server with Rai | eBay
@Scout255, That's a great deal on probably the nicest 4U case you can buy.

If anyone wants something more turn key, I am selling the 6Gb SAS expander version of this case (SC846E16-R1200) built out with an X9SCM-F MB, E3-1220 CPU, LSI HBA and Silicom 6 port NIC here: Supermicro SC846 24 Bay Storage Media Backup Server X9SCM F 16GB RAM | eBay

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
My card I use online was recently replaced because of possible ID theft (has happened a few times in the last couple of years and I get a call every time I make a newegg purchase...). ANyway, my way of keeping my wallet happy for now is just not updating paypal and amazon. I'll see how long it lasts.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Finally got an e-mail from Tam stating that they do not allow the units to go out internationally even if you arrange collection and pay by bank transfer. Not sure what they think the risk is especially with a bank transfer payment but nevermind.

I will probably leave it for now.

RB

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010