Advice on Media/Plex Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ajamils

May 1, 2018
I've had a HTPC (i5, 16gb RAM) and the mobo finally died so I'm trying to put together a media server that can server dual purpose as Plex/Kodi media server and also a repo for my music and pictures.

Here are my requirements
- Powerful enough to be able to transcode 4K mkvs
- Download/index new media
- Serve content to connected devices around the house
- Backup my files from desktop
- Budget < $500 (not including the drives)
- FreeNas or UnRaid (not sure about this one yet)

I am looking at LGA 2011-V3 processors but not sure which one would be good. Similarly SuperMicro boards seem to be going for good prices but having never built a server before not sure about the specs. As for the case, I and looking at Rosewill 4u server chassis or similarly spec tower case (so that i can fit it in smaller space)

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I've had a HTPC (i5, 16gb RAM) and the mobo finally died so I'm trying to put together a media server that can server dual purpose as Plex/Kodi media server and also a repo for my music and pictures.

Here are my requirements
- Powerful enough to be able to transcode 4K mkvs
- Download/index new media
- Serve content to connected devices around the house
- Backup my files from desktop
- Budget < $500 (not including the drives)
- FreeNas or UnRaid (not sure about this one yet)

I am looking at LGA 2011-V3 processors but not sure which one would be good. Similarly SuperMicro boards seem to be going for good prices but having never built a server before not sure about the specs. As for the case, I and looking at Rosewill 4u server chassis or similarly spec tower case (so that i can fit it in smaller space)
When you say needs to be able to transcode 4K mkvs, how many at a time are we talking?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I just reread your post and saw you're looking at the LGA 2011-v3 platform. My first thought is it's going to be extremely hard if not impossible to find an E5 v3 + motherboard and RAM for $500. You're probably looking at close to $1000+ for that platform.

If $500 is really your budget you're going to need to drastically change the CPU/MoBo requirements.

ajamils

May 1, 2018
LGA 2011-V3 was just something that I was looking at but I'm open to suggestions .

I am evening thinking about just putting together a Rizen rig to revive my HTPC and attaching a drobo (which I already own) for extra space instead of building a server.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
LGA 2011-V3 was just something that I was looking at but I'm open to suggestions .

I am evening thinking about just putting together a Rizen rig to revive my HTPC and attaching a drobo (which I already own) for extra space instead of building a server.
I think a build based off a Xeon E3 would be a good option for you. A Xeon E3 + motherboard would run you about $450-$500. unRAID is a great option for a Plex/media storage server, I'd personally go that way. I have two unRAID servers and they are great.

But then again, I just built a pretty badass Ryzen rig myself so...

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...nimalist-sma8-a-wcd-threadripper-build.18613/

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Would an e3 even be able to transcode one 4k stream fully?

Or Are you planning on adding a dedicated gpu for that task?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Would an e3 even be able to transcode one 4k stream fully?

Or Are you planning on adding a dedicated gpu for that task?
E3-1275v6 is able to transcode 1 4k stream fine. I've not tried more. However GPU transcoding is the way to go. An old 980ti handles transcoding like a champ for me.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Doesnt that cpu run you in quite a Big amount of $ though?

Im wondering What model Quadro card one would need to handle 4 4k transcodes.. Got any ideas?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Hit send too quickly.

I have very less 4k content and rarely have more than one remote stream playing. Local streams are all direct play. Some of the low end Quadro cards support only 2 transcodes like the GeForce cards. The link has the details.

TheE3-1240v5 is also able to support one 4k stream. I've not tried more. I mentioned the 1275 first because that's What's in my main media server. With e3, definitely go for one with the igpu. Makes a big difference in transcoding speeds. I know cpu transcoding yields a better picture quality but for me, the difference is not noticeable as I'm usually on a crappy network when I'm remote and sometimes even have to transcode to 480p.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah. Iv stumbled onto that matrix before.. just not onto anything that Can tell me what i actually need to achieve what number of streams :/

beatle

Mar 23, 2017
I found that it's not really worth investing in the hardware to transcode 4K. I'd rather invest in capacity and create optimized (pre-transcoded) versions of my 4K content so that those can direct play. This lets me use a puny X5670 in my server and still support all of my Plex endpoints.

Reactions: SwanRonson

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I found that it's not really worth investing in the hardware to transcode 4K. I'd rather invest in capacity and create optimized (pre-transcoded) versions of my 4K content so that those can direct play. This lets me use a puny X5670 in my server and still support all of my Plex endpoints.
First, sorry for reviving an old thread, but I wanted to share my recent experience and maybe it could help someone. For a while, Plex server (unfortunately, only the premium or Pass version) supports using hardware for transcoding.
Supported are Nvidia card (consumer models are limited only to TWO transcode streams) and Intel Quicksync (no such limitation). I subscribed to the plex mailing list and patiently waited until I get my golden ticket an invitation to join lifetime Plex Pass for $79.99. Eventually, I got it and went for it right away.
In my spares collection (ok hoarding pile) was Intel NUC NUC6CAYH with Celeron J3455 CPU. Extra bits are cheap 128gb sata ssd and 4gb ram.
Nothing to write home about. However, this little CPU does indeed include support for quicksync.
Fairly good codec and capability support of various CPU generation is on the wiki:
Intel Quick Sync Video - Wikipedia
So, I've installed Ubuntu 18.04 server and the latest Plex server with apt-get. Moved the data and configs from an old server running on Freenas i3-3220T as a plugin (which hasn't been updated over a year) and did a quick test.
I was able to transcode 3 x 1080p h264 streams - no stuttering and around 65% cpu usage.

Yes, plex pass is required, but well worth in savings on overbuilding Plex server to do software only transcoding.

The entire process was extremely straight forward and only mildly Annoying part was moving the old plex data over.
Another great option would be Nvidia shield tv PRO (you'd want the pro version with 500 GB, since 16gb (usable probably less than 1/2) on regular is not nearly enough to keep Plex database with any decent collection). It comes with pre-installed plex server AND client, but the small catch is you can't transfer existing plex data onto it. Small note for really inexperienced users: you probably want to get a USB 3.0 drive or a NAS to store your content and point Plex server libraries to it. How to is here: https://support.plex.tv/articles/220391808-media-storage-options-for-nvidia-shield/

Last edited: