ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
Nevermind, you're correct, they are re-lidded. Got antsy and checked them in my X99 board. They are indeed the ES variant at 2.9GHz.

Dec 30, 2016
Has anyone with ES CPU's dared to update their BIOS with Spectre fix?
Does anyone have an idea if this would work fine with an ES cpu?
I've got a Supermicro X10SRL-F and an e5-2650 v3 ES QEYN, and wondering if I should update with the latest BIOS containing new microcode from Intel.
Recently updated my 2x X10SRL-F with ES CPUs and it caused the same issue on both but I don't think it had anything to do with the CPU.

Board would boot to "DXE - Intel RAS Initialization - 79" and stop. Clearing CMOS, removing RAM and IO cards, attempting BIOS recovery, nothing worked. The IPMI would still come up but despite the successful BIOS upgrade it still showed 2.0 BIOS.

Finally I set the BMC jumper to Disabled and the board boots again. Even on the new 3.65 the BMC being enabled stops the board from booting.

Supermicro support just shrugs their shoulders and says I can send in the board for $ and they'll try to fix it.

NOT a happy camper.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If the board is under 3yr warranty, it's one way shipping cost with RMA. If they can't fix the issue, they will replace with another refurbished board. Not sure where you are located but in us the shipping cost is under $20 including insurance.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kijun93

Mar 19, 2017
QEYY is finally out... it's kind of mysterious one.

As far as I know, QEYZ is 1660 v3 and QEYY is 1680 v3.
When you look up on Aida64 and Hwinfo, they both say it's unlocked up to x56 multiplier.
Someone has claimed that it's not unlocked. But BCLK strap works.
I really want to get one and test it but I don't have money for it lol

kijun93

Mar 19, 2017
These are the proof images I've collected for QEYZ
HWiNFO shows x56 and Aida64 shows x63.
It's obviously unlocked.
And don't get confused by different multiplier.
For QHVJ, they show x56 and x80 as well.

QEYY is about $399 on ebay. But I'm not gonna buy it for that price.
Pre-owned 5960x is around $400 to $450 in South Korea. It's obviously cheaper

Last edited:

stefandro

Apr 26, 2018
Hi Everyone!

My name is Stefan and I am planning on building a 7GPU machine for 3d rendering. I also need a powerful multi core CPU for Houdini simulations.

I will use this as my main computer with applications such as AE, PS, 3ds MAX, RedShift, Houdini. Adobe suite is single threaded so this is an important aspect for me.Also I plan on using 2 1TB SSD for my current projects and 2 4TB HDD for archive.

I am planning on getting the ASRock Rack Motherboard EP2C612 WS and installing two Intel Xeon's, my 3 options are:

1. E5-2690 v4 ES QHV5 Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 ES QHV5 2.4GHz 14C LGA2011-3 Compatible X99 i7-5960X | eBay 622$
2. E5 2698 V4 ES QHZD Stepping0 Intel Xeon E5 2698 V4 ES QHZD 2.0GHz 50MB 20Core 135W 14nm 40Threads Stepping0 | eBay 819$
3. E5-2667 V3 ES QEYY Intel Xeon E5-2667 V3 ES QEYY 8Core 3.2GHz 140W 20MB LGA2011-3 CPU Processor 6976350447779 | eBay 445$

Can anyone tell me if the motherboard will support these 2 CPU's?
Do you have any other recommendations regarding MOBO. My biggest complaint with the AsRock is that it doesn't have an M2 port, like some of the Asus models. However I know Asus are quite buggy and they have a terrible Customer Service so I am a little afraid of them :D.

Thanks in advance,

Stefan

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Hi Everyone!

My name is Stefan and I am planning on building a 7GPU machine for 3d rendering. I also need a powerful multi core CPU for Houdini simulations.

I will use this as my main computer with applications such as AE, PS, 3ds MAX, RedShift, Houdini. Adobe suite is single threaded so this is an important aspect for me.Also I plan on using 2 1TB SSD for my current projects and 2 4TB HDD for archive.

I am planning on getting the ASRock Rack Motherboard EP2C612 WS and installing two Intel Xeon's, my 3 options are:

1. E5-2690 v4 ES QHV5 Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 ES QHV5 2.4GHz 14C LGA2011-3 Compatible X99 i7-5960X | eBay 622$
2. E5 2698 V4 ES QHZD Stepping0 Intel Xeon E5 2698 V4 ES QHZD 2.0GHz 50MB 20Core 135W 14nm 40Threads Stepping0 | eBay 819$
3. E5-2667 V3 ES QEYY Intel Xeon E5-2667 V3 ES QEYY 8Core 3.2GHz 140W 20MB LGA2011-3 CPU Processor 6976350447779 | eBay 445$

Can anyone tell me if the motherboard will support these 2 CPU's?
Do you have any other recommendations regarding MOBO. My biggest complaint with the AsRock is that it doesn't have an M2 port, like some of the Asus models. However I know Asus are quite buggy and they have a terrible Customer Service so I am a little afraid of them :D.

Thanks in advance,

Stefan
ASRock Rack Motherboard EP2C612 WS will work with Xeon ES cpu's, I have been runing two E5-2667 V3 Es cpu's on mine with ZERO issues for about a year now.

This is my favorite motherboard EVER!!

%100 solid.

ycp

Jun 22, 2014
Hey,
I just bought some ES cpus for the first time and have a dual socket supermicro motherboard. I bought the model of the motherboard that the seller of the cpu's said would work.

When i boot the system i keep getting a Memory Training Failed error. The screen is stuck on this.
I have one Dimm per cpu installed.
What could be the problem?

239301d7-818b-40f1-b4c0-04b9bb435491.jpg

Last edited:

Hypocritus

Apr 30, 2018
With Supermicro Haswell/Broadwell motherboards, you SHOULD use RDIMMs, but you can use 8GB (and up) UDIMMs. You cannot use 4GB UDIMMs.

You can test the memory by trying to boot with only 1 DIMM in the board. Supermicro C612 chipset Dual CPU boards do not have to have memory per CPU. It just means that the one CPU has to go through the other CPU to use memory (I'm doing it on this machine as I type!).

If this doesn't work, I would send these CPUs back to the seller as fast as possible. I am currently dealing with what appears to be a similar issue with a broken or unsupported ES CPU on one of my SM boards. By far and large, Supermicro motherboards are some of the most compatible boards you can use for an ES/QS CPU. I have several systems built with SM boards and ES CPUs, and I have never have to update the BIOS for compatibility since I started building these a year and a half ago.

Last edited:

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
My ep2c612 ws has been flaky as my dandruff ever since I bought it...cannot recommend apart from if you want to experiment with the anandtech microcode hack for unlocking v3 xeons. Then again, same can be said for my older asus z9pe-d8 ws board with SB v1 ES chips..well it worked, but wow not exactly stable! But at least I didn't have to cough up 'cough cough!' 10000 nok/1200 usd in ecc rdimm! like last iteration!

At the moment dealing with a dead as doornails asrock rack ep2612c ws board, with 2x e5-2696v3 and a third cpu in reserve, with 10000 nok in memory..and 8x4tb hdd's attached just for the offline storage..not even going to go there regarding how much other storage is attached via DAS and the m1115.
So far a huge disappointment...no m.2, very poor to non-existant customer service,not enough sata/sas, and just about as flaky as my old asus z9pe-d8 ws...again back to square one with n to the nth cmos resets..

Believe it or not, this gdmm! board doesn't even have a power on/off switch..(Yes it does have an error code lcd, which on mine is now dead!)...so either the board has to be attached to a chassis to power on, or you have to do some pin in the 1200w psu voodoo to power it on..frankly dunno and don't want to try it!

I would however say..iff you you want to experiment with ES CPUs..well asus and asrock are the go, just going off the forums. Of course, Quality Assurance is..weeell..like ES cpu's so your mileage may vary! My Original POS sandy bridge e5-2665's b0 worked like a dream in my z9pe-d8 ws (at all of hahaha 2.3 ghz all core?) but at that time and for the monies..wow!

Many of thousands of $$$'s later..not so good! Fullprice mobo, highest-end stable c1/c0 cpu's I could find, the MOST EXPENSIVE ram ever, and it all goes straight to hell.

Food for thought! Maybe maybe I should have stuck with the cheaper ES cpu's....

Hypocritus

Apr 30, 2018
@squidman,

Funny you should mention the dead E5 2696v3's. You got rooked by this auction, didn't you? I purchased the last one of that auction. I originally tried to purchase all 10 with a Best Offer, but thankfully he didn't answer in time. These are definitely bad chips. I left an eBay review, and I have had 2 other people contact me because of it. Even though they are listed "as-is", the potential buyer is left with the impression that if you own the right system, these will work for you. Umm, no I don't think so. It wouldn't matter what system you owned, unless you were Intel themselves. My motherboards "are" compatible with that stepping. I have since asked for a refund based on the ambiguity of the auction (i.e. "I'm selling these AS-IS (but here's why you should have confidence in purchasing these from me!)"). I am not convinced that the seller doesn't know more than we were told.

Last edited:

Hypocritus

Apr 30, 2018
Hey,
I just bought some ES cpus for the first time and have a dual socket supermicro motherboard. I bought the model of the motherboard that the seller of the cpu's said would work.

When i boot the system i keep getting a Memory Training Failed error. The screen is stuck on this.
I have one Dimm per cpu installed.
What could be the problem?
@ycp,

Read my last post. Did you buy one of more of these?

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
Well I don't know the seller you bought off of! And mine are doing fine (well I hope, that is I think I managed to brick my mobo bios!). Sorry if I gave a link to a known bad auctioneer on taobao, that was not the intention at all. I just wanted peps to know that there ARE more of those chips available on taobao (I just linked the one, which I have no affiliations with, have never bought off of taobao etc), so that forum members could 'seek and ye shall find' themselves.

And no I didn't get 'rooked' by that auction..bought off of another ebay seller, who was very professional, about june last year. Very good contact throughout the sales process..but unfortunately can't find name etc of ebayer, as ebay deletes (maybe wisely on their part?) all correspondence over a year old.

I think with ebay, buyer beware definitely applies! I've had mostly very good experiences with ebay (much faster say from China to Norway, than say from a retailer from Denmark to Norway!), and with high value items like those cpu's, they mostly insure it and they may come in drips and drabs, but it avoids the dreaded sales tax of 25% (which, ok go figure, on 2k usd worth of cpu's starts to add up!). Have nothing but the best to say about my chinese ebay experience so far. Usually comes anonymously in a little brown package with no tracking (yes had my stress moments with those e5-2696 v3s! but they came through and all worked!).

HOWEVER!

Iff it's too good to be true, or too cheap to be true (e5-2696 v3 according to linked auction? for 600 usd? really?) then yeah..go figure...a year a go I still had to cough up around 800 bucks a piece..almost a year ago...now on ebay for 1500-1900 usd...

If you want a reality check for absolute cheapest prices, taobao it, than add a lot for the ebay reseller.

The SR1xk are what I bought, and are c1? (mobo is still dead, awaiting new bios), but oem chips. But falsifying chips when one gets so-called 'hot' is probably not a new thing..like with the sr1xk's and e5-2696 v3's. Remember, peps in PRC can read English, look into prices on ebay etc...so while most or many are honest, you will get the odd bad apple too...and not much ebay can do about it. That's why it's cheap (45000 nok or 5500 usd last I checked here in norway for the same cpu! retail! for older chips!) and you are taking a risk. That's also why I bought 3! even though I really couldn't afford it at the time..just in case one was doa!

Uhhmm here's hoping my 3 babies live a long life!

Reactions: Hypocritus

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
Uhhmm to all..seeing a lot of those QExxx. etc chips on ebay and taobao..well the good ones are the sr1xk chips, and I've linked elsewhere in the forum to taobao etc..seek and ye shall find. No Experience with the qexx chips, but for the monies, stick with known good ones! Or for rendering on a dual xeon machine, go a slightly lower core count but higher mhz..

Have had good experiences with sandy bridge e5 v1 ES chips b0, but of course ymmv...!

Hypocritus

Apr 30, 2018
You are perhaps the perfect politician.

I have almost always had good experiences buying from China through eBay. The auction linked to was a seller in the United States. I'll definitely check out taobao.

May your 3 babies have long life!!

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
Yes I hope my 'babies' as they call it on Taobao have a good life! Have a good one mate..drowning my sorrows after bricking the stupid mobo..!

Still waiting on a stupid 10 usd watch from the US 4 weeks later..chrissakes..! Never! ebay from the US..China if possible..or HK or Taiwan..they always frigging deliver.! Avoid Australia at all costs! Couriers there just steal or stuff just disappears into thin air..even aus post is so bad I have not the words...like some kind of Bermuda triangle..even iff you have an address in Sydney, and it's coming from say 10km away in Syd, sh!t just disappears...thank god I'm back in Norway..just me and ebay and China!

Just a little head's up for forum members ebaying from Australia. There is a major theft problem even interstate, and known bad courier companies where stuff just disappears...was there 3 months last and 50% of my stuff ordered had to be resent at seller's expense. So buyer beware...may not be the seller, but very likely the courier company. One in particular...which I can't remember because a bit tired here...

Last edited:

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
This is going a bit off-topic, but for those looking for iem's, (in ear monitors) your most important resources are headfi.org and alibabaexpress...
Well not really off-topic..the chinese really do deliver! 100 usd iem's, doa on arrival, replaced after chinese new year's, so a bit of a delay...but wow..100 usd iem's with great sound, 3 drivers, look great..pretty close to custom iem's on a budget...kinera h3's. Or for that matter, the 3! superlux cans I picked up for around usd 150, or the same price as one proper set of Beyerdynamic or AKG cans...wow really can't go wrong if on a budget! (strongly recommended! superluxx rocks! for a quarter of the price of proper cans!)..
Or the m115 or ibm sas expansion cards from china..again..wow really can't go wrong!
Of course still waiting on a stupid 10usd watch from the us..still waiting!

Sorry rambling..squidman out!

kijun93

Mar 19, 2017
Does anyone know about all core turbo exploit for v3 variants?
I've known this for a long but did not know how to make a mod bios and force-write it on mobo until yesterday.

Look for my 4655 v3 QS which I've got it for $122.25 on ebay!
6 cores and 12 threads. 30mb of cache and 3.0GHz for all core in specs.
The exploit makes it up to 3.2GHz.

So I just have ordered 2695 v3 QS and 2697 v3 QS to see how faster they can go up to ;)

Attachments

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
They should work..check anandtech forums. Haven't tried the microcode hack yet but got all the files together. Windows needs to be installed via uefi for it to work. Would prbly have some xtra bios chips on hand just on case..around 14 bucks preflashed on ebay.