Who still mining?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
No, not at all, I think that's stupid also. If you just like beanie babies or baseball cards and just have fun collecting them, then more power to you. But as an investment? Here's the thing--for every silly anecdote about how someone made a fortune collecting something obscure, there are thousands of anecdotes about people who lost money collecting something obscure. Take your philosophy far enough and I'll show you a hoarder: all you need is a little more time, and then this junk will be worth a fortune, you'll show everyone, really. (As you weave your way between towers of urine soaked newspapers just waiting for the day.) The thing is, all the people who lost money were just as sure they knew the secret tricks to making a fortune as the ones who made money, they just weren't zapped by random chance at the right time. The human brain seems to be really good at convincing itself that anything good that happens is due to its own skill, while anything bad that happens is either bad luck or someone else's lack of skill.
Totally agree with this. One of the central arguments that Nassim Taleb presented in his book, Fooled by Randomness. His background was in statistics and stock option trading at a hedge fund. This book really helped me to stop saying or thinking "Man I should've done ___" (because hindsight is 20/20). Now when those thoughts come to me, I stop and think back "Could I have known what I know now then?"

The people who more consistently make money on this schlock are the middlemen who can skim off the transactions (and I don't mean by mining). That's why big investment companies getting in don't mean it's a good investment; it just means that they think they can fleece the sheep before it craters and that they think they've found a way to minimize their downside exposure. They're sometimes disastrously wrong about the latter, but the former tends to be all too easy--especially if they can trigger peoples' greed (you'll see this when there are sock puppets running around babbling about how much money there is to be made and how guaranteed the return is).
Keep selling them shovels!!!

(There's a hidden lesson here for those who think a functioning society needs a super-secure non-repudiable anonymous public transaction ledger to move money around, but I won't belabor the point.)
:D

onsit

Jan 5, 2018
Anyway, back to the topic that this thread was created for.

Yes, I am still mining - and the recent PoW algorithm changes is going to present an opportunity for miners again while botnets and asics will need to retool for the PoW change. The most promising right now is SUMO that brought something fresh to the table, instead of copying Monero/Aeon's approach.

Some big claims on Monero's short sighted PoW change, could mean this is more of a temporary thing while the Monero committee finds a better option in the next 6 months.
curie-kief/cryptonote-heavy-design

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
What algo does Sumo use? Trying to calculate what my equipment can produce daily.
Generally -- cpus 1/2 of the standard CN algo hash rate
vega and other high end gpus, roughly 3/4 the standard CN algo hash rate

As of this moment (things change every minute), in btc earned per 1mh/s for 1 day, see attachment.

XHV -- uses sumo algo -- i.e. expect lower hashrate
XTL -- stellite -- uses something similar to CNv7 -- expect similar hashrate, but, I haven't gotten this to work post-fork
XMR -- CNv7 -- expect same hashrate as CN
SUMO -- new sumo algo, expect lower hashrate

so Monero is the winner once again, for now anyway. Stellite was worth easily 2x anything else the last 2 days, but I couldn't get it mining at all. Haven has been good off and on, but now with it and Monero forking, Monero is way better (for now).

coin.png

Marsh

May 12, 2013
My 50K H/s is on XMR , nice to see it is making 0.78 XMR ( $135 per day ).

Need time to deploy more CPU miners to the rest of the house's power outlet.

Nvidia GPUs are mining Raven Coin now.

GPU price is back to the old normal price. May be time to pickup more GPU.

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
XMR Vega 56 stock bios 18.3.4 drivers 950mHz PL -15 CPU E5-1650 v3

****Note strided index to 2*******

"gpu_threads_conf" : [
// gpu: gfx901 memory:3920
// compute units: 56
{ "index" : 0,
"intensity" : 2016, "worksize" : 8,
"affine_to_cpu" : false, "strided_index" : 2, "mem_chunk" : 2,
"comp_mode" : true
},
{ "index" : 0,
"intensity" : 1600, "worksize" : 8,
"affine_to_cpu" : false, "strided_index" : 2, "mem_chunk" : 2,
"comp_mode" : true

HASHRATE REPORT - CPU
| ID | 10s | 60s | 15m | ID | 10s | 60s | 15m |
| 0 | 54.9 | 51.5 | 55.1 | 1 | 56.3 | 53.4 | 56.1 |
| 2 | 53.5 | 50.4 | 55.1 | 3 | 55.4 | 52.0 | 55.8 |
| 4 | 56.3 | 53.1 | 56.5 | 5 | 50.4 | 48.9 | 52.6 |
| 6 | 51.2 | 48.9 | 51.8 |
Totals (CPU): 378.1 358.2 383.1 H/s
-----------------------------------------------------------------
HASHRATE REPORT - AMD
| ID | 10s | 60s | 15m | ID | 10s | 60s | 15m |
| 0 | 1033.4 | 1030.7 | 1029.5 | 1 | 820.9 | 818.1 | 818.8 |
Totals (AMD): 1854.4 1848.8 1848.3 H/s
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Totals (ALL): 2232.5 2207.0 2231.4 H/s
Highest: 2302.8 H/s

Reactions: Marsh

jims2321

Jul 7, 2013
I have 6Kh on monero chugging away. Going to hold of on picking up additional gpu's for now. On the plus side got the basement electrical finished while in Cali. I now have 3 240v circuits (2 - 30amp and 1 - 50 amp (for hot tub or mining)) and a crap load of 20 amp 120v. Next up is my reorg of my gear to consolidate the servers/mining rigs and the switches/gateway router.

Reactions: Marsh

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
i switched to xmr from sumo. im trying out minergate since i didnt have time to really play with find other pools etc.
so far my equipment running about 5.7 kH/s. i havent been downstairs to check amps yet. that will be tomorrow morning

azev

Jan 18, 2013
XMR difficulties have doubled since it hits rock bottom and the network hash is growing super fast. I suppose there are lots of miners out there coming out of retirement such as my self included :) I wonder at what marker point will the network stabilized.

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
I have to give intensity 2016 a try.

Dump the crappy August blockchain drivers. Finally AMD has provided a stable alternative.

2016 should be fine. Report back!

Set all miners to xmr Friday morning and left town until today. Installed the 18.3.4 and I feel like I have a nvidia card in my workstations!
No bios mod, soft powerplay or overdrive needed.

jims2321

Jul 7, 2013
Dump the crappy August blockchain drivers. Finally AMD has provided a stable alternative.

2016 should be fine. Report back!

Set all miners to xmr Friday morning and left town until today. Installed the 18.3.4 and I feel like I have a nvidia card in my workstations!
No bios mod, soft powerplay or overdrive needed.
The new drivers, are you running strictly Vega GPU's or should miners running AMD GPU's in general upgrade from the August blockchain drivers?

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
The new drivers, are you running strictly Vega GPU's or should miners running AMD GPU's in general upgrade from the August blockchain drivers?

I’m running them in general even for my RX580 8gb.

I haven’t had a hiccup at all since installing and I’m hashing better than having to do reg mods bios etcetera. Stock settings and wattman as my OC tool.

But definitely benefiting the Vegas by a wide margin. Temps down zero hangs.

Best results are Xeons and Vegas

hifijames

Dec 26, 2017
I’m running them in general even for my RX580 8gb.

I haven’t had a hiccup at all since installing and I’m hashing better than having to do reg mods bios etcetera. Stock settings and wattman as my OC tool.

But definitely benefiting the Vegas by a wide margin. Temps down zero hangs.

Best results are Xeons and Vegas

I never had any luck with AMD drivers on Windows 2016 server. The only driver that can be installed is the blockchain driver, everything else will simply complains that there is no AMD device.

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
I never had any luck with AMD drivers on Windows 2016 server. The only driver that can be installed is the blockchain driver, everything else will simply complains that there is no AMD device.

I know the perils of AMD drivers. September AMDGPU for Ubuntu was beyond painful.

I’m really impressed with 18.3.4 even FE Vegas can be run on them now!

I just run Windows 10 since most gaming GPU drivers are written for that OS.

A couple of cheap $10 eBay win 10 upgrade licenses. And run xmr stak off of a usb drive. I have GPU workstation towers that are sole mining devices. I keep buying workstations on Craigslist, dump memory on eBay, mine them until I find upgraded workstations and part them all out. Rinse repeat. Basically a workstation chop shop! Therefore no need for server software.

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
XMR difficulties have doubled since it hits rock bottom and the network hash is growing super fast. I suppose there are lots of miners out there coming out of retirement such as my self included :) I wonder at what marker point will the network stabilized.
I plan to exploit the exodus from Eth. As they all follow the $ to xmr I’ll backtrack to eth.

99.99% are not mining for coins to keep, just migrating to the money. The miners are pissed that there will be no fork for Eth and they are battling bitmain just as xmr did.

You will do very well if you do exactly the opposite of what the herd is doing.

Additionally, I always mine through the lows even if I lose a little. Look at it as $ cost averaging of sorts. This gives me the #’s to accurately trade on the exchanges as well.