DIY Air filter boxes / fan enclosures (pics)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Just be careful cutting those filters! the fiberglass is really nasty on those..

I have a system adapted from the California Medicinal narcotic plant guys! I figured that they have battled harder than us in the KWh use, heat and filtration department.
So I went to my local (in SoCal) hydroponic store and asked a bunch of questions.

As far as your fans are concerned, I figure they are PWM but what is your projected kWh total vs. CFM

Also what size are the fans, type of static pressure do you think they produce?
Oh just realized you said careful --cutting-- the filters. Won't need to do that thankfully; the window opening is about perfect for the sizes I'm dealing with.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I'm using a 6' Hyperfan through a charcoal scrubber

Full disclosure I own Zero stock in this Company!!! just linking info!! Home | Hyper FanView attachment 8058 View attachment 8059 View attachment 8067 View attachment 8068 View attachment 8069

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Class Leading Performance Via "Multi-Phase" Motors
Hyper Fan™ Next Generation "Multi-Phase" EC Motors are vastly superior to all existing fan motor technology. "Multi-Phase" technology allows the motor to be energized 12 times per revolution as compared to 2 or 4 times with competitors fans, making the application of power to the fan blades smooth, ultra efficient and vibration free.

More Efficient And More Reliable
Next Generation "Multi-Phase" EC Motors use up to half the power and produce half the heat of traditional EC and/or DC motors. This results in greatly reduced energy costs coupled with less wear, greatly increased reliability and a longer expected lifespan than any other fan it its class.

Laminar Blade Design & Stator Technology
Hyper Fan™ is the first fan in the industry to utilize the combination of Laminar Blade Design & Stator Technology. This technology stems from modern jet engine design to create less drag and have a higher co-efficiency than the competitors fan blade designs. This is the foundation of the Hyper Fan's™ many benefits including reduced noise, more efficient operation, higher airflow and the highest static pressure performance of any fan in its class.

From Phresh® minds come Phresh® products, and we've broken the mold with the Hyper Fan™. In addition to the "Multi-Phase" EC Motor and Laminar Blade Design & Stator Technology, we've constructed the fan housings from lightweight aluminum and use larger, superior, sealed "self-lubricating" ball bearings (as opposed to less reliable needle roller bearings). These heavy duty sealed bearings ensure smoother operation and increased longevity of the fan while permitting flexibility during installation such as universal and offset mounting capabilities.

12 Reasons To Use "Multi-Phase" EC Motors Over Other Motors!
Multi-Phase EC Motor means that instead of 2 or 4 magnetic poles (DC motor) or a maximum of 8 magnetic poles (standard EC motor) per revolution, Hyper Fan™ utilizes 12 magnetic poles. This combination of 12 permanent magnet poles allows the motor to run at the highest magnetic efficiency of any fan in the market. This equates to more airflow for much less power consumption and a longer expected life span.

Soft Start Feature
A soft start feature is programmed into the circuitry and slowly feeds the power into the motor resulting in less wear and a longer life span.

Speed Controller Included
Hyper Fan™ includes a speed controller that can adjust fan speed from 35% - 100%. It is detachable from the fan and independent from the power cord. The fan will automatically operate at full power when used without the supplied speed controller.
Very nice, especially the charcoal filter.

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
this thing will push itself across the floor!! 35% 5w 100% 35w 45w through charcoal scrubber. It will also completely eliminates all of those potential VOC's in that room of yours!!!

looking at your set-up a 10" would be my choice!!

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
i wonder if you got somethign like vornado fan to push the air from one intake window over hardward to out take window?
293 Heavy Duty Large Air Circulator – Vornado

Maybe put it on top of the server rack on the back wall and aim it in the middle of the server rack area.
Yeah, I think with "hot air rises", and my window being no more than the middle of the rack height wise, hot air accumulates more than it might otherwise. I'm thinking of using some leftover 200mm fans that are very low power, low pressure, high(ish) airflow, to see if I can address that without using loads of power.

If that doesn't work too well, I have a couple options. First, still have the boxfans but they use a good 120 watts each. Second, I've got quite a few 120mm noctua fans I'm not using. They only use a couple watts each so power use is not much of a concern there.

Unfortunately, using a wire rack instead of a server rack, it's hard to make sure the air goes where it can be most productive. I also suspect my exhaust fans need to be sealed better to prevent possible recirculation of the same air into and out of the window which is pointless.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Yeah, I think with "hot air rises", and my window being no more than the middle of the rack height wise, hot air accumulates more than it might otherwise. I'm thinking of using some leftover 200mm fans that are very low power, low pressure, high(ish) airflow, to see if I can address that without using loads of power.

If that doesn't work too well, I have a couple options. First, still have the boxfans but they use a good 120 watts each. Second, I've got quite a few 120mm noctua fans I'm not using. They only use a couple watts each so power use is not much of a concern there.

Unfortunately, using a wire rack instead of a server rack, it's hard to make sure the air goes where it can be most productive. I also suspect my exhaust fans need to be sealed better to prevent possible recirculation of the same air into and out of the window which is pointless.
I would use some cardboard on the wire racks to block air from going all over the place. Might also be good to put some cardboard in between. see my crappy illustration below.

upload_2018-3-12_14-16-44.png

Reactions: funkywizard

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
currently building a modified version of this with my fan setup posted above.

it will be fully contained as stacks of vertical to help in heatproto.jpg

Using standoffs/rivets to replace welding, as the welding is overkill

Last edited:
Reactions: funkywizard

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
currently building a modified version of this with my fan setup posted above.

it will be fully contained as stacks of vertical to help in heatView attachment 8084
reminds me of clothing store where you buy stuff off the rack.
let me know when you discount them haha

Otherwise that is a cool idea.(Pun intended) how much is the build out costing you? What are you end goals with your tunnel system?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Good idea. I think I have some plexiglass I can use for that. Would like to avoid making this more of a fire hazard than it already is. : )
good point, i only though of cardboard since i get so many package from amazon i been recycling the cardboard into other things.

Latest is i made a wall to attach some sound foam to to place behind my rack.

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
Oh just realized you said careful --cutting-- the filters. Won't need to do that thankfully; the window opening is about perfect for the sizes I'm dealing with.

Tried those filters once..Frankly there are as useful as their cost!!

I looked like I was attacked by a hive of killer bees after I cut those to size! NASTY

I have a 1 1/2 year old so I looked at building the most efficient/Healthy!

I kid you not..I moved the diaper pal near the scrubber and ZERO stink. Guess the Grow guys know how to rid smells, particulates etc on the cheap. All props go to them, as they are now interested in exchanging ideas due to the similarities of our projects!

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
reminds me of clothing store where you buy stuff off the rack.
let me know when you discount them haha

Otherwise that is a cool idea.(Pun intended) how much is the build out costing you? What are you end goals with your tunnel system?

Maybe I'll go to a store going out of business sale! I remember Kohl's had tons of those types of racks for sale. If it works I could cut to size

Crypto has been very good to me so I'm not really adding prices up. Plus I live work in San Diego so nothing is cheap!!

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
Pictures of my crypto lab! Occupying the wall of my Son's room.

LOL this isn't even my computer desk!

0EF063A3-9B99-4BE0-A3BD-088D0AF55360.jpg

Attachments

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
Oh man, Lexan -- that's the good stuff.

If you need cheap plastic to play with, Costco sells those clear floor saving desk chair protectors that cut up nice! Thick too.

Lexan because it needs to contort/flex enough for some of my needs. Also the best thing I have bought recently is a cordless Dremel.

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
Thinking.. yeah, never a good idea for me as it usually means one more idea I just gotta try and a little less money in my pocket.. Matthias Wandel, a wood worker out of Canada, built his own custom air filter for his workshop area with hammock filter cloth (Air cleaner with homemade pleated filter). The other thing that comes to mind is layers. A pre-filter mesh screen to keep all the bugs and larger objects out, fiber glass air filters, 25" x 20" x2" furnace filter, and/or maybe even a HEPA filter. (And just how clean do you want this air supply to be? :p)

30" x 60" cut to fit 3M Filtrete Hammock Filter
- (the suggestions on Amazon has 115V 3.3/2.2A blower, hammock cloth, and large HEPA filter for ~$370 ATM)