SUPERMICRO MOTHERBOARD X9DRi-LN4F+ Rev 1.10 Dual Socket LGA 2011 R

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

David Gensinger

Jan 12, 2018
Yeah, they are V2. It is a 1.20 version board so it should support. I guess i can try and scrounge around for a v1 chip and see if that is the issue. I know the bios has to be on version 3 to work with everything.

John M.

Mar 7, 2016
Any luck? Would be interested because those boards aren't too expensive. But need V2 of course...

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
My experience::
  • I had a rev 1.1 running latest firmware and 2 x E5-2670 v1s.
  • I got a good deal on 2 x E5-2680 v2s and found out the hard way (in arrears) that at least my rev 1.1 would not boot with v2s.
  • The solve was simply to RMA the board, which couldn't have been more painless, and only cost me the amount of shipping to Supermicro. Tracking shows they received the board on 1/29 . The board was returned with a "RMA product repair report" and shows the "ECO rework" was applied on 1/30 and I received the updated board on 2/1 (and I live on the East Coast) with a nice Supermicro report showing everything is in working order.
If I needed an X9DRi-LN4F+ and had the option to purchase either (1) a rev 1.1 board (which sell at a discount to the rev 1.2 boards typically) or (2) a rev 1.2 board, I would probably opt to grab the rev 1.1 board. Why?
  • To me the few extra days of "wait time" (RMA) is more than worth it, considering you end up with a fully tested motherboard (a nice to have buying a used part via ebay) with a report from Supermicro showing all tests performed and pass / fail for each component. Some buyers may only have 1 CPU or 2 DIMMs and therefore are unable to fully test a used board, but Supermicro's report is prepared using 2 CPUs and 24 DIMMs, thereby fully testing the board, which in my poor hypothetical, the buyer wouldn't have been able to do.
  • As noted, rev 1.1 boards sell at a discount to rev 1.2 boards and that discount is well in excess of the cost to ship a board to Supermicro. So it may be worth saving a few bucks for the inconvenience of the RMA. While analyzing this option from an economic perspective, it is relevant to consider that if you plan to sell the board in a year or two your updated rev 1.1 board may not fetch the same price as 1.2 boards or be as desirable. While this is a possibility, I should note that I actually sold the updated rev 1.1 board on ebay quite quickly and at the same price as rev 1.2 boards are going for [1]. I advertised it with that test report and I think that was desirable to the buyer.
  • Finally, I should add that there isn't any difference between an updated rev 1.1 board and a rev 1.2 board as I have confirmed this with Supermicro.
[1] As noted, I learned that rev 1.1 with latest firmware doesn't play nice with v2s the hard way, and didn't want my server to be offline more than it already had been, so I purchased a rev 1.2 board to use while the board was being updated. I sold my 2670 v1s to offset the cost of the "upgrade" to 2680 v2s and foolishly tossed them in the mail to the buyer before learning rev 1.1 + v2 = no bueno.

Hopefully my experience is of some benefit to someone out there.

David Gensinger

Jan 12, 2018
Any luck? Would be interested because those boards aren't too expensive. But need V2 of course...
Yeah, so I had a bad power button on my case, of all things. When I shorted the power pins with a screwdriver, it powered on fine. After using this board for a couple months, I can say I am very satisfied with it. It gave proper error codes for some bad memory I had and was easy to troubleshoot.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
My experience::
  • I had a rev 1.1 running latest firmware and 2 x E5-2670 v1s.
  • I got a good deal on 2 x E5-2680 v2s and found out the hard way (in arrears) that at least my rev 1.1 would not boot with v2s.
  • The solve was simply to RMA the board, which couldn't have been more painless, and only cost me the amount of shipping to Supermicro. Tracking shows they received the board on 1/29 . The board was returned with a "RMA product repair report" and shows the "ECO rework" was applied on 1/30 and I received the updated board on 2/1 (and I live on the East Coast) with a nice Supermicro report showing everything is in working order.
If I needed an X9DRi-LN4F+ and had the option to purchase either (1) a rev 1.1 board (which sell at a discount to the rev 1.2 boards typically) or (2) a rev 1.2 board, I would probably opt to grab the rev 1.1 board. Why?
  • To me the few extra days of "wait time" (RMA) is more than worth it, considering you end up with a fully tested motherboard (a nice to have buying a used part via ebay) with a report from Supermicro showing all tests performed and pass / fail for each component. Some buyers may only have 1 CPU or 2 DIMMs and therefore are unable to fully test a used board, but Supermicro's report is prepared using 2 CPUs and 24 DIMMs, thereby fully testing the board, which in my poor hypothetical, the buyer wouldn't have been able to do.
  • As noted, rev 1.1 boards sell at a discount to rev 1.2 boards and that discount is well in excess of the cost to ship a board to Supermicro. So it may be worth saving a few bucks for the inconvenience of the RMA. While analyzing this option from an economic perspective, it is relevant to consider that if you plan to sell the board in a year or two your updated rev 1.1 board may not fetch the same price as 1.2 boards or be as desirable. While this is a possibility, I should note that I actually sold the updated rev 1.1 board on ebay quite quickly and at the same price as rev 1.2 boards are going for [1]. I advertised it with that test report and I think that was desirable to the buyer.
  • Finally, I should add that there isn't any difference between an updated rev 1.1 board and a rev 1.2 board as I have confirmed this with Supermicro.
[1] As noted, I learned that rev 1.1 with latest firmware doesn't play nice with v2s the hard way, and didn't want my server to be offline more than it already had been, so I purchased a rev 1.2 board to use while the board was being updated. I sold my 2670 v1s to offset the cost of the "upgrade" to 2680 v2s and foolishly tossed them in the mail to the buyer before learning rev 1.1 + v2 = no bueno.

Hopefully my experience is of some benefit to someone out there.
was this a recent RMA or a few years ago? I think the X9 boards are EOL, so does Supermicro still approve RMAs for this problem? Just curious.. because I have a few X9DR3-LN4F+ boards that are rev 1.1 and won't take v2 CPUs. Wondering if I can get them replaced for ones that will take v2 CPUs? And if there's any time limit on that...

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
was this a recent RMA or a few years ago?
Those dates referenced were this year.
I think the X9 boards are EOL, so does Supermicro still approve RMAs for this problem?
Correct, the board was long out of warranty, so I was surprised they didn't charge even some sort of diagnostic fee.

Hopefully my post seems a little more relevant now. :)

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Those dates referenced were this year.

Correct, the board was long out of warranty, so I was surprised they didn't charge even some sort of diagnostic fee.

Hopefully my post seems a little more relevant now. :)
thanks for responding. how did you contact Supermicro? and was this Supermicro USA? did you have to go through some hoops to convince them? thanks... definitely thinking about getting my X9DR3-LN4F boards replaced then...

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
thanks for responding. how did you contact Supermicro? and was this Supermicro USA? did you have to go through some hoops to convince them? thanks... definitely thinking about getting my X9DR3-LN4F boards replaced then...
Supermicro USA ... RMA Form | RMA Services | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc. ... if you need any help populating any of the fields let me know. Happy to shoot you my RMA for you to copy if you like.

Reactions: Rain

Rain

May 13, 2013
Supermicro USA ... RMA Form | RMA Services | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc. ... if you need any help populating any of the fields let me know. Happy to shoot you my RMA for you to copy if you like.
What did you enter in the "Full Description of Problem" and/or "Comment" fields, specifically?

Everything else is pretty self-explanatory. Hopefully I can just put "N/A" for "Dealer" and "Company" as I don't have valid information with respect to this board to report there.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
What did you enter in the "Full Description of Problem" and/or "Comment" fields, specifically?
Probably too much detail, but since you asked:

"Detailed Description of Problem(s)" and "Additional Comment":
1. I have a X9DRi-LN4F+ and had 2 x E5-2670 v1s installed and attempted to install 2 x E5-2680 v2s.
2. Despite the product page for the X9DRi-LN4F+ (Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DRi-LN4F+) advertising compatibility with both E5-2600 v1 & v2, with the sole caveat noted that BIOS version 3.0 or above is required for use with Ivy Bridge CPUs, the system would not POST.
3. With no clue as to what the issue could be, I started to research and I believe the issue is that my X9DRi-LN4F+ is rev 1.10 (serial # REDACTED) with BIOS version 3.2 (03/04 /15), and therefore requires an RMA to have the motherboard reworked to the latest ECO level to support Ivy Bridge CPUs per the FAQ entry I found:
FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.
Everything else is pretty self-explanatory. Hopefully I can just put "N/A" for "Dealer" and "Company" as I don't have valid information with respect to this board to report there.
Customer's Account# (or Dealer Name): "-"
Company Name*: "-" or "Make It Rain" (Either work)
Applicant's Name*: "Make It Rain"

Rain

May 13, 2013
Probably too much detail, but since you asked:
Thank you! I'll be sure and report back here if I have the same luck you had!

I haven't actually tested the board with v2s yet (it's been running with v1s just fine, of course); I suppose I should do that just in case it's had the ECO rework done already. I'll double-check before I send in the RMA request.

Last edited:

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks you! I'll be sure and report back here if I have the same luck you had!
You are quite welcome. Good luck (although you shouldn't need any).

I'm aware of one other forum member that was able to successfully RMA their board for the "ECO Rework," but when doing so they caught some crap from Supermicro about it being out-of-warranty service; however, the RMA was still approved and accepted. Of note, I didn't catch any crap during my attempt.

Rain

May 13, 2013
I'll be sure and report back...
Follow up: I just got the board back! Haven't tested it yet, but I'm pretty confident it will be fine. Turn around was pretty quick; ground shipping both ways was the longest part.

Reactions: svtkobra7

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Follow up: I just got the board back! Haven't tested it yet, but I'm pretty confident it will be fine. Turn around was pretty quick; ground shipping both ways was the longest part.
Good to hear.

Did yours come with a "RMA Product Repair Report"? Mine did noting it was successfully tested with 2x E5-2695 (presumably v2 as I don't think there was a E5-2695 v1 - could be wrong of course) as well as testing of all other systems.

Rain

May 13, 2013
Did yours come with a "RMA Product Repair Report"? Mine did noting it was successfully tested with 2x E5-2695 (presumably v2 as I don't think there was a E5-2695 v1 - could be wrong of course) as well as testing of all other systems.
Yes, I received the same exact report. They used the E5-2695 on mine as well; I agree that these are probably E5-2695 v2s. It even lists the RAM they used to run the tests.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Did they hassle you about the RMA in anyway?

virtuallynathan

Sep 1, 2016
I have the same board and got an RMA with no issues. Need to shut down my server and send the motherboard back this week. The time to migrate to E5-2667-v2 (from E5-2670).

Rain

May 13, 2013
Did they hassle you about the RMA in anyway?
I wouldn't say hassle, but they did indicate the board was out of warranty and wanted me to confirm I knew that. If the board was not working when they received it, it would have simply been returned.