Custom NAS build - Supermicro

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ServerGeek5000

Mar 7, 2018
Hello, I am trying to pull some parts together from Supermicro and was wondering if you could give me some guidance on compatibility. I purchased a used X9SCA-F motherboard and had the following questions:

1. It appears that if the board is running BIOS revision 2.0 or above that it will support E3-1200 v2 CPUs. If I install the “v2” version of this processor and the board is running an older BIOS revision, is it possible to upgrade the BIOS with this new “V2” CPU installed or would I need the none “V2” version in order to apply the firmware upgrade first?

2. In reading through the manual for this motherboard it appears the PCI Express slots are described as “Two (2) PCI-Express 2.0 x4 in x8 Slots”.. Can you tell me what this means? Are these x4 OR x8 PCI-e slots?

3. Will the “AOC-SAS2LP-MV8” controller work with this motherboard? Does it have to be installed in the only x16 slot or would it work in one of the “PCI-Express 2.0 x4 in x8 Slots”.

Below are the product links for the parts I have or am thinking of purchasing. Thanks for answering my questions…

AOC-SAS2LP-MV8
Supermicro | Products | Accessories | Add-on Cards | AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

X9SCA-F
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9SCA-F

Regards,

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
1. Not directly. You can buy an IPMI license to flash the BIOS without a v1 CPU, but if it's not on a rev that supports it, it won't work directly.
2. It's electrically x4 but sized for x8 cards. If you plug in an x8 card, it will fit and work, but only have x4 bandwidth.
3. Supermicro | Products | Accessories | Add-on Cards | AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 has a x8 interface so it would fit in the slot in question, but only have x4 bandwidth.

ServerGeek5000

Mar 7, 2018
j_h_o, thanks for your reply! Most of my experience with servers is HP Proliant (ILO) or DELL (iDRAC), I haven't used the Supermicro out of band IPMI ever. How does it work for you? Is the version of board I am using super outdated and built on some Java applet that won't work without tons of effort?

How much does an IPMI license cost? Something I can still buy for this unsupported board now?

If I were to play it safe and just pick up a "non-V2" version of the processor, would I be losing out big time on performance? Between the Xeon e3-1200 series V2 vs original..

Anyone have an idea where I can purchase cheap DDR3 1066/1333 ECC unbuffered RAM? I can't believe how expensive it still is.

Regards,

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
they give you the serial thw next day
I got mine the same day (and I'm in Germany) :D

The license is absolutely worth it. I tried to update bios from windows with sum (it was in the superdoctor5 package) and something went wrong (but no powerloss or similar). Server would not boot to uefi/bios, but ipmi worked and I flashed the bios from there. System started without problems and runs stable 24/7 for over 18 months now.

Reactions: K D and T_Minus

K D

Dec 24, 2016
They need to get the serial from Supermicro. So depending on the timing you may get it right away or at the most 1 day. Or at least that's what the wiredzone rep explained to me.

ServerGeek5000

Mar 7, 2018
Thanks everyone. After spending a few days trying to figure out how to find a compatible process or and buy ECC RAM without spending an ARM + LEG, I decided to return this motherboard... I ended up purchasing a "SuperMicro C7Q67" off ebay for $59. I had compatible non ECC RAM on hand and was able to find a compatible processor locally at a recycle place for like $40.. I don't have the IMPI feature, that stinks, but it was much cheaper for comparable performance in the end.

Only problem now for my FreeNAS or NAS4Free build (Not sure which I am going with yet) is that I decided to purchase an AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 JBOD controller and guess what!? It does NOT work with FreeBSD.. So... At a stopping point again while I wait to return this card and source an alternative. Sheesh!

DrStein99

If it does not exist ? I am probably building it.
Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
I am scouting out hardware to build a NAS / file (and other) server. Something small, with a hot-swap sata raid. For me, I have found just to look into old HP g7 servers on eBay. They're all professional server grade. The registered ECC memory also seems actually to be less expensive than desktop or within $3 a difference for PC3. A fileserver does not need super speed CPU if it's just for storing files at home, mainly to remain idle. Unless I was planning to feed lots of video or attach iScsi array for speedy access, than I think it gets kind of expensive. Just an idea.